News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Order of custom fields

Started by athree, August 27, 2011, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cas

Hi Patrick,

I don't see how to drag custom fields to reorder them in the product editor.  What do I select to drag them?  Why isn't there just a simple order number column that can be reordered as shown in athree post above?

Also, I see now that a custom field with a Zero price adjustment displays "FREE" on the website.  Can this FREE be changed in the Admin?  Shouldn't this say "NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE".  The idea that if the customer picks that attribute that the product is FREE could be misleading.

Thanks,
Chuck

Milbo

Quote from: cas on October 11, 2011, 07:41:40 AM
Why isn't there just a simple order number column that can be reordered as shown in athree post above?
Because it is the stupidest and most boring method. When you want to change the order you often have to change the ordering of all lines. Now you can clickn' drop it, which is afaik the nonplusultra of ordering handling.

Also, I see now that a custom field with a Zero price adjustment displays "FREE" on the website.  Can this FREE be changed in the Admin?
OFC
Shouldn't this say "NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE".  The idea that if the customer picks that attribute that the product is FREE could be misleading.

ahh the 7th suggestion. But you should write it lowercase, in other case you scream http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/finance-10emailhabits/all-caps/
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

The drag & drop does work for me because there is nothing to grab on to.  What in the product custom fields editor should I select in order to drag it? 

No screaming (yet), just drawing your attention to the main point.  Since you said OFC to my question about changing the word Free, where in the admin editor can I change "Free" to "No Additional Charge"?

Thanks,
Chuck 

jjk

Quote from: cas on October 11, 2011, 19:40:43 PM
The drag & drop does work for me because there is nothing to grab on to.  What in the product custom fields editor should I select in order to drag it?
On your 'Product Edit' - 'Custom Fields' tab. Just left-click one of your 'Custom Field Type' entries (rows) assigned to your product and move it.
QuoteSince you said OFC to my question about changing the word Free, where in the admin editor can I change "Free" to "No Additional Charge"?
Search for COM_VIRTUEMART_CART_PRICE_FREE="Free" in your frontend and backend language files (en-GB.com_virtuemart.ini)  ;)
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Nocktis

Having the same issue.  I can't reorder them.  In fact, clicking the "apply" button, they are reordering themselves in a random order.  I can click the apply button and see a new order each time.

jjk

Note that the drag and drop sorting only works in the SVN version at present (afaik).  It was introduced after the release of RC1.9.8.H.

cas

Hi jjk,

Thanks for explaining it's not in version H.  I thought I was doing something wrong.   

Regards,
Chuck

cas

I updated to version i, and I see in the Product admin in the Custom Fields tab there is now ordering capability by dragging & dropping, but on the website the order of the Custom Fields does not change, and the order of the Custom Field values in the drop-down list displays in the opposite order of the admin order, as well as the order of the Custom Fields images displays in the opposite order of the admin order. 

Also, in the Custom Fields admin, I see there is ordering capability added, but it does not work.  I can change the numbers and hit the disk icon to save the order, but the order does not change.  And when I click the little up or down arrow to change the order, the order does not change. 

Help,
Chuck

jjk

Looks like we have to wait until the developers find some time to take care of this.
See here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=92005.0  ;)

cas

I updated to version J and here is what I found:

On the website the order of the Custom Field values inside the drop-down is now in the correct order.  Thanks!
But when there are more than one Custom Field for the product, the Custom Fields are not in the order I set in the admin.

Also, in the Custom Fields admin, I see there is ordering capability, but it does not work.  I can change the numbers and hit the disk icon to save the order, but the order does not change.  As well as when I click the little up or down arrows to change the order, the order does not change. 

Thanks,
Chuck

jjk

As a workaround I added/renamed/deleted custom fields in the custom fields admin list until I got them in the right order and grouped them, so I can now add the group of custom fields to all my product in the order I want them to display under each product.

cas

Thanks jjk.   I know I can force it to work as you noted, but I have thousands of products and each product has dozens of options, so I really need it to work properly before I start the massive data loading effort.  The good news is version J fixed many of the other issues I was having, so we're getting very close! :) 

cas

I updated to version M and have the same problem as reported with previous versions.  Here are the problems:

On the website the order of the Custom Field values inside the drop-down is now in the correct order.  Thanks!
But when there are more than one Custom Field for the product, the Custom Fields are not in the order I set in the admin.

Also, in the Custom Fields admin, I see there is ordering capability, but it does not work.  I can change the numbers and hit the disk icon to save the order, but the order does not change.  As well as when I click the little up or down arrows to change the order, the order does not change.

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

I retested this with version RC3, and it still doesn't work properly:

On the website the order of the Custom Field values inside the drop-down are in the correct order, but when there are more than one Custom Field sets for the product, the Custom Field sets on the website are not in the same order that I set in the product admin custom fields tab.

In the Custom Fields admin, the ordering feature does not work.  I can change the numbers and hit the disk icon to save the order, but the order does not change.  As well as when I click the little up or down arrows to change the order, the order does not change.

Studio 42

cas,
we are now virtuemart 2.0 final ;)

No real support for older beta version because we work all with 2.0 final revision only(and subrelase from final)