Previous topic - Next topic

nmcguire

Is the RC2 compatible with Joomla 1.7?

PRO

yes, BUT 1.7 is not even completely stable IMO

Capt_Blackwood

Quote from: BanquetTables.pro on August 23, 2011, 13:43:58 PM
yes, BUT 1.7 is not even completely stable IMO

I'll try not to tell my sister that when I get it running. Personally as long as the payments are processed properly I'll be happy.

(New here...that's probably why your n00b ALERT siren went off.)

djliquid

Quote from: lamvt on August 23, 2011, 11:02:56 AM
Virtuemart Rc2 version com_virtuemart.1.9.8c For 1.7 Only
work very good

I can't get all kinds of errors and I still haven't gotten the All-in-one to work yet either. tried it like 4x

alain.roger

I have J1.7, VM 1.9.8 RC2d and when in my main menu i add a standard VM default layout item, and click on this item, my page title turns to "COM_VIRTUEMART_HOME". this is not correct IMO.
When i use the VM 1.9.8 RC2c this issue doesn't appear and it works correctly.
Production server : Joomla : 2.5.8 / VM : 2.0.12f / PHP : 5.4.8 /MySQL : 5.5.28
-------------------
http://www.korcule-kolieska.sk

Testing server: Joomla 2.5.2 / VM: 2.0.2 stable
-------------------------------------------------------------------
What does not kill you, makes you strong

Milbo

We are sorry for that. We feel fighting an uphill battle with j1.7. We wanted to release today, but again a new bug appeared only in j1.7.

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

alain.roger

Quote from: Milbo on August 24, 2011, 01:49:27 AM
We are sorry for that. We feel fighting an uphill battle with j1.7. We wanted to release today, but again a new bug appeared only in j1.7.

no problem this is normal life in IT :-) just keep fighting ...anyway we are here to help you also in case of need.
Production server : Joomla : 2.5.8 / VM : 2.0.12f / PHP : 5.4.8 /MySQL : 5.5.28
-------------------
http://www.korcule-kolieska.sk

Testing server: Joomla 2.5.2 / VM: 2.0.2 stable
-------------------------------------------------------------------
What does not kill you, makes you strong

kbrookes

Thanks for the update Milbo.

I was trying 1.7 and RC2 1.9.8c today and just ran into far too many problems - couldn't even uninstall. Looking forward to the stable release.
Kelsey
thinksync

Milbo

Try the version in the svn. It is afaik quite well working on j1.5.

An nice example of the problems we have with j1.7 is to find here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=90254.msg295965#msg295965 .

We are fighting to 90% only with j1.7 the last weeks. Maybe I write a list somewhere for other developers that they get a feeling for it, lol.

- They changed path constants => we use our own constants now
- They added in j1.6 their another mootools version, at least it is not longer automatically loaded in j1.7, with the speciality that we had then to support 3 mootools version (j1.5, j1.5 with mootools upgrade plugin, and mootools of j1.6/1.7) => We had to implement all with our own jQuery to avoid conflicts.
- They changed the table field which stores the session, we got problems to add products to cart and to store the config. took quite long to find out that we have to change the data field of the standard session table back to j1.5 to solve this problem (but is still compatible to j1.7 components).
- They changed JElement to JFormField => we implement our own class, which extends to JElement or JFormField depending by the used joomla version (thanks to Nikodion of akeeba showing that trick btw).
- they changed the format of the xml files, we had to almost copy 70% of content of a xml file and adjust it slightly.
- they changed the reading of params, when creating a menu item by views.
- Using mysqli and php5.3 leads to errors ! Took sometime to find out that everyone using php5.3 MUST use mysql without I.
- they changed the installer using new methods. J1.7 is still calling old install methods => so we must test in the old functions if we are in the new version, or not.
- Setting installer in upgrade mode does not work. => We must test in every case ourself if we use install or update.
- Installer script is called included twice => You need a constant to avoid loading it twice.
- Changed template position names and use hardcoded stuff which blurs some colours.
- Changed path rules for storing plugins.
- Changed ACL system, prior advanced programming technics of j1.5 does not work anylonger => we must use our own system.
- Using two different tables instead of 1 like in j1.5 to store components/modules/plugins
- changed router (but imho still not performing a better)

and a lot more small details, like that in j1.5 you could copy a file to some path, even when it must create 2 or more folders. J1.7 creates max. 1 folder. => Sample images gets not copied, because they removed the folder stories in images, and so on, and so on. It is really quite nasty.

Or the bug called "plugin102" , "Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /var/www/rittermann.org/cdl/libraries/joomla/plugin/plugin.php on line 102". We found out it is enough just to install virtuemart, with no plugins and to change the language. So for us that looks atm like a joomla bug.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

PRO

I have problems with 1.7 by itself. NO vmart.

alatak

Hi,

Thanks Max for this good summary of our problems.

kbrookes

Thanks for the summary, that kind of communication is very much appreciated!

One question, will it be possible to run VM2 on 1.7 with mootools disabled entirely?

Wherever possible these days I'm trying to reduce bandwidth overheads. Keeping everything with one framework is a good way to do this and avoid conflicts.
Kelsey
thinksync

Milbo

We are on this, yes.

Afaik except the validatoin of the userfields everything is working with jquery. But patrick is our js guy and knows that better.

kbrookes

That's exceptional news! Looking forward to having light + fast VM sites!
Kelsey
thinksync

alatak

Hi,
QuoteOr the bug called "plugin102" , "Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /var/www/rittermann.org/cdl/libraries/joomla/plugin/plugin.php on line 102". We found out it is enough just to install virtuemart, with no plugins and to change the language. So for us that looks atm like a joomla bug.

Concerning that problem, the reason is that we used
Plugin::Loadlanguage
and to solve the problem we use now

$lang = JFactory::getLanguage();
$lang->load('com_virtuemart');