Author Topic: Product Catogory List Module with Cacheing  (Read 2686 times)

iojens

• Beginner
Product Catogory List Module with Cacheing
« on: August 16, 2011, 20:31:44 pm »
One of my personal biggest problems is often the performance of virtuemart once I reach a high number of categories. In particular the product category list module seems to require a lot of resources (using the default module released with virtuemart - display type: linked list). E.g. currently I have around 1000 categories in total, but since there are several sublevels and only the "level 0"/Main  Categories + all Categories related to the current selection are displayed the actual list is rather short. Displaying the full category list would decrease the usuability for the user obviously. If I deactivate the product category list module the loading time of the page decreases from ~5s to ~1s (even though the shop contains around 15k products). I'm not too surprised why it takes quite a bit of time for that virtuemart module to build that category tree from scratch each time, but shouldn't it be possible to cache that properly by building that linked list for each category selection and 'save' that result? It's not like every few minute a new category is likely to be added to a shop - even if it takes several minutes to do so to rebuild that cache once a new category is added (and I bet there are plenty of smart ways to make updating that cache fairly quick even).

I'm fairly certain I'm  not that only one who has come up with such idea or would enjoy a performance boost for his virtuemart - does anyone know if such a category display module already exist possibly. I know of one plugin that allows you to cache the output of a module, making the output completly static however and hence forcing you to display the full category list.

Shimon Hirschhorn

Re: Product Catogory List Module with Cacheing
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:16:01 am »
Did you come up with any solution?

I am looking for exactly the same thing.

jaypalthakur

• Beginner
Re: Product Catogory List Module with Cacheing
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 14:21:17 pm »
hello can any one tell my doubt
i am new in virtue mart i want to when i click on category menu when page redirect on next page but showing with home page