News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Product Image selection problems

Started by stuartosborne, August 03, 2011, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuartosborne

I am trying to set up virtuemart V 1.9.8c on joomla 1.7.0, most things are working fine but i am having a lot of trouble with the image selection for products, the Primary attached file doesn't show all the images i have and it seems to keep changing the number, if i put the correct file name in the used url  it seems to work but it changes if you go near the primary file.
Please can someone explain how it is supposed to work, and why is it so difficult ?
all i want to do is go to the images/stories/virtuemart file and select my main image then get virtuemart to create the thumbnail. how difficult should it be ?

I have also tried adding an image for catagory but it seems to totally ignore this. can anyone help please.
Current Joomla Version 1.7.0 Stable
Current Virtuemart Version 1.9.8d rc

Milbo

YES, we fighted again a lot with it last week. 

We got trouble because we had to change the js for selecting images due j1.7. It should work now. We want to fix the known bugs and then release the D version. which is hopefully the last public release before the final version.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

stuartosborne

thanks for the info, do you have an expected relese date for version D?  as i need to carry on with this project as soon as possible

stuartosborne

I have just upgraded to the 1.9.8d version but its made things worse, virtuemart upgrader now says that there is a newer version available current version 1.9.8d newer version available 1.98c ?
the d version seems to have even more problems with product image uploads,
when you first go to upload a file it says the target directories are images/stories/virtuemart/product and images/stories/virtuemart/productresized, this is a slight change from the previous version which had a resized directory as a child of product
but this isn't to much of a problem i just moved and renamed the resized directory so it matched the new paths.
when you go an upload an image the actuual paths change to
images/stories/virtuemart    and   images/stores/virtuemart/resized. it uploads the main image to images/stories/virtuemart but it will not create a thumbnail image, even after i have created these paths with correct permissions.

Please can this be sorted out as a matter of urgency as product images are one of the main features of any store.

Also on my site  since the upgrade to version D  the sub catagories do not appear i can see the main catagory but when i click on it the page changes but no sub catagories are shown.
Also the no image image has changed to an add to cart button which i can't seem to change.

Is version D a retrograde step ?

peaces

I have experieced exactly the same issues. I installed Joomla 1.6.3 fresh and VirtueMart VM2 fresh. I guess I'll have to stop my site development until this is resolved because after 2 days of beating my head against the wall trying to upload and manage product images, I am giving up.

I'll be back hoping to hear that there is a simple way to access all the images already uploaded via ftp and not rely on using the upload in the product admin.

I look forward to using this product!

jjk

@peaces
I suggest you upgrade to J1.6.5 and from that to J1.7
VM2 will not support J1.6.x
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

peaces

The template I bought from Dart-Creations came as version 1.6.3 and I am new to the Joomla world. My question and concern has been if my template will allow me to upgrade to Joomla 1.7 or not.

The second question would have to do with the other extensions I have installed that are only versioned to work with 1.6x.

I needed a Product Catalogue "only" and the only thing I found that appears to do what I want as to cms and product display was VirtueMart and it is not even offered as a 1.6x extention. However from my reading of the forum... it is being used by Joomla 1.6x users.

I am open to recommendations and guidance.

Thoughts?

Studio 42

Joomla 1.6.3 was a "temp" release you must go to 1.5 or 1.7, no really choice, sorry for you.

YOu can do a product Catalogue with virtuemart 2
And the bug you report must be done now with last release. ;)

stuartosborne

I am using the latest versions of joomla and virtuemart v 1.70 stable and v 1.9.8d   but i still have the problems as related above with the images.

peaces

"by: jjk
@peaces I suggest you upgrade to J1.6.5 and from that to J1.7 VM2 will not support J1.6.x"

So will VM1 support J1.6x?

"by: Electrocity
Joomla 1.6.3 was a "temp" release you must go to 1.5 or 1.7, no really choice, sorry for you."

So everything Joomla has done in the 1.6x versions are just temporary and I chose to use a template and several extentions based on a version of Joomla that is all temporary and most of the developers are skipping 1.6 for that reason?

If I want to use VurtueMart I must start all over with Joomla 1.5 or 1.7 and find all new extensions?

Studio 42

Quote from: stuartosborne on August 10, 2011, 10:47:36 AM
I am using the latest versions of joomla and virtuemart v 1.70 stable and v 1.9.8d   but i still have the problems as related above with the images.

Ha , ok ,  i don't understand you exactly.
The thumbs are created dynamically . You have 2 solution if you will your thumbs on demand.
go in manage media, the thumb you see are create on the fly but not in product or categories....
If you look your product in FE , you must have the thumb(in over case you can report the bug) ;)

franzpeter

There is one big problem in VM 2, importing images. Did take a look into the migrator to migrate categories and products from the VM 1 database into the VM 2 database tables. The migrator does synchronise the images, it even creates thumbnails. The database table virtuemart_medias gets filled and it works even with 60 000 images. But the images are in the images folders and not linked to categories or products. That means, that the xref tables (jos_virtuemart_product_medias, jos_virtuemart_category_medias and  jos_virtuemart_manufacturer_medias) are not filled while migrating from VM 1 to VM 2. It may be nice for people with just a few categories and a few products. But it is horrible for people with a VM catalog, which contains few hundred categories with subcategories or a few thousand products. It means that after migration the user has to create the connection between the images for categories, products and manufacturers manually, category by category, product by product by selecting the image from inside the backend and click apply.
I do not think that a lot of existing VM 1 users will migrate to VM 2 if the migrator is not able to write the necessary informations into the xref tables while migrating.

jenkinhill

Quote from: peaces on August 10, 2011, 14:55:20 PM
So everything Joomla has done in the 1.6x versions are just temporary and I chose to use a template and several extentions based on a version of Joomla that is all temporary and most of the developers are skipping 1.6 for that reason?

To quote the Joomla official release "Joomla 1.6 will reach end-of-life on August 19, 2011 and all users should upgrade to version 1.7 before that date."
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum