News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Nooku & VM2 ~ what's it all about?

Started by greenparrot, July 22, 2011, 13:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenparrot

Hi

I'm very excited that after many years VM is being worked on again. I have been using VM since the early days but had lost a bit of interest because it looked dead.

I have also been following Nooku with great interest.

The problem is i'm a little confused as to what Nooku is?

Do you install it over a Joomla installation? then install VM?

Roy

Milbo

Afaik and imho, when you use nooku server you can already install vm2 on it.

The idea is that we port vm2 to use more and more nooku design patterns, nooku abstract classes and so on. So that you can install it on joomla of course and that it fits directly to nooku.

Atm it looks like that more and more developers use nooku for their extensions.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

woonydanny

Quote from: Milbo on July 22, 2011, 13:17:48 PM
Afaik and imho, when you use nooku server you can already install vm2 on it.

The idea is that we port vm2 to use more and more nooku design patterns, nooku abstract classes and so on. So that you can install it on joomla of course and that it fits directly to nooku.

Atm it looks like that more and more developers use nooku for their extensions.
so does that mean that we will need to install the nooku plugin into Joomla to run VM2?

mandingueiro

No, it will be installed automatically by VM.

Studio 42

Final release will not use nooku.

But it's in project to use it, if joomla don't stop to change the class naming convention and variables.
We use a 'logic' naming convention as the nooku project use, to simplify the 3PD and to customize your shop on your wish.

We can't develop a good shopping advanced solution and fight all time with joomla code changes.

Patrick

Doomas

I'm a developer too, and I understand well the problems you are facing actually. I'm also in the process of rewriting my code for some custom components and modules for my customers and I've decided to use nooku, and for now i'm really happy with it.

But I don't understand really why you're trying  developing VM2 for J1.5 and J1.7 and also for nooku...must be a pain. This is not a criticism I'd just like to know the reasons.

I really appreciate your hard work! Keep it up!

Best regards,
Thomas

Milbo

We didnt started yet with nooku. We just use their database conventions
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

xpozay

Just read this blog by Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos  (Akeeba)

http://www.dionysopoulos.me/blog/why-i-am-not-using-nooku-anymore

I gather by your last comment re just using database conventions, such issues highlighted by  Nicholas will not affect VM.

That said, I read another post here http://technologynewsontheweb.blogspot.com/2011/07/virtuemart-and-nooku-collaboration.html from VM saying that VM will be Nooku.  So all the more important to understand your views on such.

Thanks

Milbo

I try to answer this, but is it not easy.

I am coming from java and C++ and shader programming and I do programming to skill the mind and because I like a strong logic written down in a beautiful way. The way to write and program code changed over the time. With php4 it started that it is possible to use this coding patterns also for php. Joomla 1.5 is using this partly but far away from the goal. J1.5 did the first step. In virtuemart we got maybe up to step 3, nooku is at step 8.

Nooku is from coders view perfect, but we cannot use it as long they do not release a version for which they garantee an updater (as we do in vm).

When I take an old DOS program I can run it on Windows 7 (except special drivers are needed). We component developers need a stable plateform. There should be cumulative updates lasting at least 6 months. For exampel, when you installed vm version c and you install now version k,... every database change is done for you. You dont need to update from c to d and then from d to e and so on, the updaters are cumulative.

Nooku needs to decide, this the version we maintain. They can release very often a new subversion as long the update procedure is easy. When there is a new version ervery 6 months and we need 1 week to adjust vm2 for it, okey. Then we will use nooku. But atm it is a moving target. 60k lines of vm code are not so easy to adjust for every update. But it looks like nooku is still searching for the optimum solutions.

xpozay

Thanks for your reply.

I can gather by your comments than, at least for the near future - say at least 2012, VM will not be on Nooku.  This at least helps with our migration planning away from J1.5 and all the associated extensions.