News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Is there inventory control for attributes ?

Started by netboard, July 12, 2011, 22:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

It is in the H version, but the stock is not working (lowering stock and so).

We want that it works for the final, no question. We hope that we can provide a solution soon.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Hi Milbo,

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing since I don't have any requirement for stock control of custom fields...  I am just requesting an additional field be added that is called Name to the Custom Field of type Image when adding a Custom Field to the product.  For example, if I have a Custom Field named 'Color' that is of type Image, and then when I add this Custom Field to the product 2 times, I can name the first product Custom Field 'Red' and attach a red image, and then for the second product Custom Field I can name it 'Blue' and attach a blue image.  Is that what you are saying is already in version H?  I do not see any place to enter a name when attaching the Custom Field of type Image to a product.  It only allows me to attach an image and do the price +/- adjustment.   

Thanks,
Chuck

Studio 42

hi,
i added now an "auto description" with the image type.
<span class="vm-img-desc">YOURMEDIADESC</span>

you have to manage the display as you want or use default virtuemart css

set css .vm-img-desc{display:none;} for eg. to hide

cas

Hi Electrocity,

Do I understand you correctly that in the next release there will be a new field where we can name/describe image-type custom fields when we add them to the product?   If so, that's great!  Thanks so much!!!   

I'm just curious what does "auto description" mean?   Does it default to the image file name and then allows us to edit it, or is there some other way it works? 

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

I updated to the latest version i, and I see it now displays the image name, which is better than the number, but the name shows .JPG extension on the website.  Shouldn't image-type Custom Fields have a new field added for the name/description?   We need to be able to name the Custom Field whatever is required.   

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

I see now that we are suppose to use the Media File editor to name the media whatever we want.  This is very good.   The only problem is that when using the Media File editor, the Role (File Type in database) does not save in the database.   When changing any media field values (Displayed title, Displayed description, Role, etc), the Role (File Type) gets removed. 

cas

I updated to version M, and the Media File editor now saves the Role (File Type in database).  Thanks. 

margorita

Hi Guys,

I made some progress based on your feedback.  Thanks!
Here is what I did and what still needs to be answered:

I setup a parent Custom Field called Color and added 3 children Custom Fields called Red, White & Blue as Image type.  My first question is what type should I select for the parent Color?  It does not need an image since it's just the parent of Custom Fields that will have images.  It should only be used as the group title/heading above the 3 children Custom Fields red, white & blue which will have images attached.   Second question is once I add the Color custom field with the children to the product, do I remove the Color custom Field and just leave the red, white & blue custom fields, or does the parent Color need to stay in the product?   If I leave Color in the product it shows up on the website as a drop down with no items and doesn't make sense.

To continue, I then uploaded the Red, White & Blue images into the Product folder on the host server with Filezilla, and then Synchronized the images in VM.  Third question is there a way to add the Custom Field images within VM or do I need to add them outside VM?  I then went into the Product and into the Custom Fields and added Color custom field to the product, and the Red, White & Blue custom fields were added automatically.  Since I already Synchronized the images, the images where now in the drop-down for each Custom Field, so I picked the appropriate image and adjusted the price as needed.  So far so good.

On the website the red, white & blue Custom Field images are displayed, but then I realized the images are not related within the group Color, and all the images have the radio button selected.  The website needs to show these images within the parent group Color, and with a single selection radio button within this group Color, so the customer can select which color they want to buy.

How do I make this work properly?

My final question is a suggestion... can you add to the admin Configuration/Shopfront/Media Files Settings... a separate folder image location for Custom Field images?  Call it the Custom Field Media Path.  Currently Custom Field images are included in the same Product Media Path.  For larger websites, it would be great to have a separate folder to hold the Custom Field images.  This will make the long-term maintenance easier to manage.

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

Quote from: margorita on December 22, 2011, 18:54:42 PM
I setup a parent Custom Field called Color and added 3 children Custom Fields called Red, White & Blue as Image type.  My first question is what type should I select for the parent Color?  It does not need an image since it's just the parent of Custom Fields that will have images.  It should only be used as the group title/heading above the 3 children Custom Fields red, white & blue which will have images attached.   Second question is once I add the Color custom field with the children to the product, do I remove the Color custom Field and just leave the red, white & blue custom fields, or does the parent Color need to stay in the product?   If I leave Color in the product it shows up on the website as a drop down with no items and doesn't make sense.

I found it works best by just defining Color as a Custom Field of type Image just once... do not create any children.  Then upload your images (red, white & blue) to the server using Filezilla.  Then go to the Media File manager in VM and do the "Synchronize Media to VM".  You will then see the 3 images in the Media File manager.  You should edit each image by updating the Unique Filename, Displayed Image Title, Image Alt-Text, as follows: the Unique Filename will be what you see in the admin dropdown, the Displayed Image Title is what will display on the website, and the Image Alt-Text is what will display on the website if the image cannot be found.  Next go to the product's Custom Fields tab, and add the Color custom field to the product 3 times, and then for each Color custom field you just added, pick Red from the dropdown for the first one, and White for the second, and Blue for the third.  Be sure to save the product so you don't lose your changes. Now check your website and it should work!  If you want the images formatted nicely, use the file from the topic: 92777 Reply #34:  http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=92777.msg306147#msg306147

Check out the results using this approach:  https://www.hairextensionsfair.com/shop/full-head-clip-in/pp-straight-16-in-detail

Hope this helps.
Chuck

G. Billionaire

I use a joomla plugin called Easy Inventory Control.
It is limited to just 2 attributes- Size and Color.
But thats all I need for the ecommerce shops that I create.
The attribute disappears from customer sight when the stock for that attribute goes to zero

tuki

I have the same problem. I need a custon field for the size of my product, and need to be able to handle the stock. I found this tutorial for solution. Not the best (no ajax refresh), but it working well. http://awebsupport.com/vm2-set-up-child-product-with-stock-control