Author Topic: "Virtue Mart" problem with uploading/resizing images and version upgrade  (Read 4523 times)

JKart

I am using Virtue Mart 1.1.8 that came pre-installed with Joomla! Site Shaper (Aluma Photography). I have successfully installed the site and even was able to upload few photos for testing purposes into Virtue Mart shopping cart. However, after two correctly uploaded images who were properly re-sized and showed OK in both sizes on Cart, I ran into problems.

Every next attempt to upload more images, either thumbnail wasn't created, or bigger size image wasn't properly re sized, so after click on thumbnail it became larger than screen! (instead being only 500X500 px)... I tried everything, from resizing original image with resizing program and directly uploading it into root/image folder of the site, nothing helped. I was also getting an error message like: " Memory of 137456382 kB was exhausted, trying to allocate 28000 kB" (??). Don't know what does it really mean and how to fix "memory" capabilities.

I've tried to install VM 1.1.9 but unsuccessfully. Old version persisted and stayed further. I realized that in order to UPGRADE VM to new version I would probably have to completely re-install whole site which is not an option, because I would lost everything I have in site now and start from scratch...I tried to install newest VM RC 2.0 -Beta, however got my site crashed with error message in "components/com_virtuemart/router.php on line 682"... I had to re-install my site back with help of hosting company and my site's backup I made before...

So, now I am stuck with TWO PROBLEMS, who hold me down not allowing me finally start my site as it should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in resolving these 2 issues I have with VirtueMart shopping Cart:

1) resizing bigger image properly
2) upgrading store to newer version (WITHOUT RE-INSTALLING WHOLE SITE ?)

Thank you in advance for advices/help!

PS: Any possibility that VirtueMart comes one day with modern, simple and easy FLASH based uploader (who by my experience works best)?

[attachment cleanup by admin]

JKart

I have to add here that I have sent a personal message to Mr Soeren (whom I found here as being main developer and admin), however, nor he or anyone else didn't show any interest to send me a message....

I searched many Forums (of other kind, like Joomla!, etc) and saw that many people SHOW a genuine INTEREST in helping others with their problems and that is wonderful. For example I had a problem with PayPal integration of VirtueMart shopping cart, wrote to them and they helped me!

However, this is NOT case HERE....

In my opinion, seing many problems people are facing with this software and lack of responses, I see no bright future for VirtueMart.

I am sure if I paid to someone to look at my problem, or opted for a paid shopping cart software, I would resolve my problem in matter of few hours.

That is downsize of GNU (free things).

zorkhh

• Advanced
    • vm-expert.com
Hello,

Soeren clearly says that no support requests will be answered! What do you think his boss would say if he answers hundreds of VM-mails over the day? It is free, community-driven software. And it is not the "downsize" of GPL - the problem is (and also the great thing of course), that everybody can start to set up an ecommerce system - having the knowledge or not. And if something doesn't work, blame the forum if there is not an answer within some hours. Take a look at the number of posts of most users - they register to ask questions. Only a very small number of users answer these questions.

Your problem no. 1 doesn't seem to be a virtuemart problem. The image / thumbnail conversion relies on some Libs that have to be installed on the server. There are lots of different versions with different features. I have sen something similar to your problem as people tried to upload JPGs saved as interlaced JPG. That "kills" some image-libs. Start trying to upload small standard JPGs and if this works, i guess, that this is no VM-Problem...

Problem no. 2: download the 1.1.9 patch file and upload it via FTP. If this doesn't work, ask your hoster /admin whatever to configure your FTP-account or set file-/directory owner/rights the way that you can upload the files.

Thomas
Virtuemart Professional Support at http://www.vm-expert.com

Visit the large Virtuemart Group on Joomla.org: http://people.joomla.org/groups/viewgroup/30-Virtuemart.html

JKart

Hello,

Soeren clearly says that no support requests will be answered! What do you think his boss would say if he answers hundreds of VM-mails over the day? It is free, community-driven software. And it is not the "downsize" of GPL - the problem is (and also the great thing of course), that everybody can start to set up an ecommerce system - having the knowledge or not. And if something doesn't work, blame the forum if there is not an answer within some hours. Take a look at the number of posts of most users - they register to ask questions. Only a very small number of users answer these questions.

Your problem no. 1 doesn't seem to be a virtuemart problem. The image / thumbnail conversion relies on some Libs that have to be installed on the server. There are lots of different versions with different features. I have sen something similar to your problem as people tried to upload JPGs saved as interlaced JPG. That "kills" some image-libs. Start trying to upload small standard JPGs and if this works, i guess, that this is no VM-Problem...

Problem no. 2: download the 1.1.9 patch file and upload it via FTP. If this doesn't work, ask your hoster /admin whatever to configure your FTP-account or set file-/directory owner/rights the way that you can upload the files.

Thomas

Hello Mr. Thomas:

Thank you kindly for your answer, even I think it stays on "shaky legs" (so to say) - please no offense.

First, I see you didn't read carefully my first post, nor you took a look at my screenshots. From there is clearly visible where the root of my problem is, and this IS "VirtueMart" exactly (sorry). As you know and can see, I am doing upload of images from "VirtueMart" module ONLY - not from any other part of Joomla! So, your remark that is probably nothing wrong with VM software simply isn't true.

All photos that show on my website, show ONLY at shopping cart (i.e. VM). Those that came pre-loaded (as a demo), show perfectly, I found them and know exactly where they reside in the root of my site (what folder). I know exactly what script handles them and where is it. It is "SlimBox 1.41", borrowed from "Lightbox JS" by Lokesh Dhakar...I found also a script written personally by Mr Soeren, with 3 wrong lines (regarding resizing images) and fixed that, after which enlarged photos became little smaller, however still not small enough... See, I am not that software-dumb as you may think, however even more pro-people sometimes need help.

Second, your advice of "uploading smaller JPG files" is also superficial, since you did not read on my first post where i clearly stated that I have already done that (and tried many other ways as well), but nothing helped. No matter how small original image is, after uploading (thru VM uploader, of course) on my site it showed twice as large as my screen of 22" who cannot handle it...Once again, demo photos show just fine, 500X500 px. If something's wrong with "Lib" as you say, then ALL photos would be affected, not only mine newly uploaded. So this is clearly VM software problem, to be exact: handling and properly resizing NEW photos from the side of "VirtueMart" uploader.

Third, I don't blame anyone. I am sorry, but didn't see that Mr. Soeren don't answer support questions. I understand that. However, what about other people? Joomla is a free software, PayPal is a free software. I got tremendous help from PayPal directly (which isn't something to expect). You could find thousands of answers on all Forums, but not here. It wasn't "matter of few hours", it is almost a week before I got first (your) answer, for which I am grateful no matter what.

The problem of "VirtueMart" isn't only that is GNU/GPL software. The problem is that people who could make it work better do not have an interest in doing it, because they won't be paid for that. It should be understandable too and I respect anyone who put an effort and time in making "VirtueMart". The only way to deal with issues is to help each other, but I don't see it happens here as on other places. People are posting free software hints, directions etc. on thousands blogs and Forums and no one is expecting to be paid for.

If (when) I resolve my problem I will post it here as well, because I know the pain of not being able to resolve one simple step in making website work. So why not to help someone who face the similar?

As a conclusion, I would recommend you first to read more carefully what people post/say, before you answer (again, without offense please).

I will also cite the words directly from one "VirtueMart" Installation Manual, who say enough about this software (no wonder that this cart isn't listed among many shopping carts with whom big company as PayPal is dealing with):

"...VirtueMart is having compatibility issues with Joomla! software and sadly, no effort was made so far to fix that..."

Thank you for your attention.

zorkhh

• Advanced
    • vm-expert.com
Hello,

i don't want to argue about the stuff you are writing... Only three things:

- i have read your post. From your description, i was not able to really see what the VM Problem is. I have written "i have seen something similar..." and tried to give a hint, in which direction the problem also could lie. "So this is clearly VM software problem" - hmmm, i never had this problem on really a lot of VM-Sites.

- it is really a joke, to compare Paypal support with the volunteers that try to help here.

- If you would check the paypal site, you could see that VM is listed there. German Site: https://www.paypal-deutschland.de/haendler/integration/paypal-integrieren/partner-integration/shop-loesungen/virtuemart.html

Thomas

Visit the large Virtuemart Group on Joomla.org: http://people.joomla.org/groups/viewgroup/30-Virtuemart.html

jenkinhill

• UK Web Developer & Consultant
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
If something's wrong with "Lib" as you say, then ALL photos would be affected, not only mine newly uploaded.

No, libs such as GD2 are part the server software and used during uploading/conversion of new images. Those already there would not be affected.
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Unsolicited PMs/emails will be ignored.

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Currently using VM 3.4.3.9989 on Joomla 3.9.2 PHP 7.0.33
Testing VM 3.4.3.10014 on Joomla 3.9.2

JKart

Hello,

i don't want to argue about the stuff you are writing... Only three things:

- i have read your post. From your description, i was not able to really see what the VM Problem is. I have written "i have seen something similar..." and tried to give a hint, in which direction the problem also could lie. "So this is clearly VM software problem" - hmmm, i never had this problem on really a lot of VM-Sites.

- it is really a joke, to compare Paypal support with the volunteers that try to help here.

- If you would check the paypal site, you could see that VM is listed there. German Site: https://www.paypal-deutschland.de/haendler/integration/paypal-integrieren/partner-integration/shop-loesungen/virtuemart.html

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your writting. Even it doesn't yield any concrete result or giving the right direction, I respect any answer I get.

We are of course, not here to argue but to help each other. My posts wasn't intended in having arguments with anyone but to point at the concrete problems I'm having with making "VirtueMart" working properly, since it affects my whole website (based on Jooomla 1.5).

Unfortunately, I see my communication with you is like talking with blind and deaf since you are stubbornly maintaining your position, trying only to defend "VirtueMart". This is futile effort because you cannot deny the facts. And these facts are that "VirtueMart" software (as Joomla module) is only one who is responsible for uploading, handling and properly resizing images. I have even pointed you at the JavaScripts who are doing that inside "VirtueMart" (not inside Joomla). You simply do not want to look at my screenshots, nor admit this obvious fact as well as others I mentioned above. Nothing that is wrong happens outside of "VirtueMart". All functions of my site that depend of Joomla are working properly, except your shopping cart module.

But we will stop here. I don't want to argue anymore as well.

Just to mention you regarding PayPal shopping carts enlisting: I didn't look at their European site which doesn't matter to me, since I live in Canada. What I know  for sure is that "VirtueMart" is not listed among 39 shopping carts that PayPal North America is dealing with. I got a phone confirmation for that and you can see it by yourself here: https://www.paypal-marketing.com/emarketing/partner/directory/directory.page;jsessionid=0FA5A04CB6660349DB02C8353356A5A1?product=PayPal+Website+Payments+Pro&type=Shopping+Cart

Among those well known who are listed are "Magento Cart" and "Zen Cart", however not "VirtueMart".

Hope I will get here more useful and concrete help, instead of arguing.

John.

zorkhh

• Advanced
    • vm-expert.com
come on. What do you think we are doing here?!? "I see my communication with you is like talking with blind and deaf since you are stubbornly maintaining your position, trying only to defend "VirtueMart"". Bullshit.

In your first post in this forum, you are asking a question writing things that often come from installation or server problems (memory..., 1.1.9 installation failed, ...). You screenshots show nothing that could help solving the problem. In your second post in this forum you start complaining about "Mr. Soeren", Virtuemart and GPL-Software overall.

And after that, i have to read this stuff about how i try to help you.

Now i really want to know what happened. Give me admin and FTP-Access to your site (send it over here please: http://www.vm-expert.com/contact ) and i will check / fix it for free. We will publish the results here.

Thomas

zorkhh

• Advanced
    • vm-expert.com
... nothing heard yet. Did you fix it on your own?

Thomas

JKart

... nothing heard yet. Did you fix it on your own?

Thomas

Sorry for delayed answer. Had a problem with my PC and was without him until was fixed. Now all is ok. I am sending you requested data by PM with detailed instructions where to look. Hopefully it will help and thank you for being fair and helpfull. Cheers.

John

TonyG

Hi

Ensure that "Enable Dynamic Thumbnail Resizing?" is tick in " Configuration" under Site

JKart

Hi

Ensure that "Enable Dynamic Thumbnail Resizing?" is tick in " Configuration" under Site

Hi, thank you very much! I just tried your advice. Result: while at "VirtueMart" backend (first time!) the enlraged image shows correctly resized, when I went to the website store to see how it looks, there were no change from previous resizing...damn! When I click at "see bigger image" it shows as big as screen :(

I guess it is something to do with GID libraries, but I really am not familiar with server side programming and don't want to mess-up with it. Let's Thomas try.

In the meantime, if you (or anyone) give me right direction how to create simple "Contact" form and implement re-Captcha with it, as wel as with registration form? Note that I have all re-Captcha data (API and private key). I tried one form, put all script in root folder but the form doesn't shows-up, even I followed instructions?