Author Topic: Uploading Downloadables  (Read 4254 times)

Jhazzi

• Beginner
Uploading Downloadables
« on: June 10, 2011, 19:31:08 pm »
I've read the manual and can't figure out the problem.

I'm a newbie trying to do a developer's job but I like the challenge.

Question:

What does it mean when it says for security make the downloadables outside of the root? I'm hosting several sites on one plan. www.site.com is where VM is. Does it mean I create a downloadables directy in the /public_html e.g., /public_html/downloadables. Do I include /home/hostusername/public_html/downloadables.

Or: /home/host-username/public_html/domainname.com/downloadables.

I also read the chmod should be 644 for that file. Is this correct or what is correct.

On the backend, when I FTP a file, it is not shown in the dropdown menu to choose. When I put in the direct URL where the file is located, it shows up on the frontend where the product is.

I'm trying to configure this properly to offer paid downloadables in various file extensions.

PLEASE HELP!!

I'm getting an error messages.

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/public_html/downloadsXXXX.pdf) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/XXXX/public_html/XXXXX.com/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/ps_product_files.php  on line 815

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpCsI9tc' to '/public_html/downloadsXXXX.pdf' in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX.com/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/ps_product_files.php on line 815

Appreciate assistance!

Regards,
Jhazzi

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
Re: Uploading Downloadables
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 20:16:45 pm »
Outside of root means, another domains. etc.

ALSO, is the file too large to be uploading?

I dont know much about downloadables
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)

Jhazzi

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 20:23:13 pm »
Thank you very much for a reply.

No, I'm testing things and the file is a simple one page PDF, not an eBook, so the file is very small.

Another domain, so you're saying use: www. banquetpro.com/downloads instead of www.AcutalSite.com/downloads to put the downloadable files to be purchased? Hmmmm...

My best,
Jhazzi

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 21:09:42 pm »
yes,,

OR You might can put them BEFORE public_html

I dont know how vmart does downloads though.
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2

Jhazzi

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 21:13:48 pm »
Okay, I have tried before the /public_html. I have posted for help at JoomlArt, as well. Received one response but it didn't work. Will get support to go in and fix it.

Thank you for your time and suggestions. Both were sincerely appreciated. When I get an answer, I'll post it here as it may benefit someone else and clue you in on downloadables a bit.

Happy day!

Jhazzzzzzzi

chokens86

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:14 am »
Hi Jhazzi,

Any luck with the solution? I have the same issue too.

Jhazzi

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:30:29 am »
Hi Chokens,

I haven't followed up at the other site yet but will. I feel certain they will fix it. I thought someone here could do it faster and came here.

I have a membership and the template had VM already installed. I'll submit a support ticket with all my FTP / password info and they'll go in and take care of it. It may take 24-72 hours. When they fix something, they post it in the forum (membership required) so that others can see it. I'll post it here when that happens. Okay?

This can be frustrating yet I find challenges a bit of fun. :)

Will let ya know. All the best with your site!

My best,
Jhazzi

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 15:17:55 pm »
Joomlaart is a template maker

They wont help you with vmart
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2

Jhazzi

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 16:22:57 pm »
They have some very gifted forum moderators and I'm receiving help. They have a philosophy, if they use it [component etc.] in their templates and you are a paying member, (I have a developer account) they offer support. They have the best forums [support] I've ever experienced on the Internet!

chokens86

• Beginner
(Solved!) Re: Uploading Downloadables
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 16:17:43 pm »
Hi Jhazzi,

(SOLVED!)

Sorry I haven't post the solution here. I have fixed the problem by the way. What I did was my downloadables are in public_html/mysite.com/mydownloadfolder
I uploaded the files through FTP on the mydownloadfolder. I listed all the files in notepad just like this:

http://mysite.com/mydownloadfolder/item1.jpg
http://mysite.com/mydownloadfolder/item2.zip

Now I go to media and add new files, selecting the Downloadable Product File (to be sold!) and copy the link that I put in notepad to the
File URL (optional) field, without putting something on the Filename Field.

When I test drive paying and checking my email, there is a download ID. Login to the site, input the download ID and HOLA!. I downloaded the file that I purchase.

But still I have a problem with the file size. File size that exceeds 6MB gets interrupted. I still have to solve this issue thought.

VM TOUGH!

Love it much.

Jhazzi

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 17:21:21 pm »
Thanks! I apologize to you, too because I got it to work, as well. I uninstalled the component and reinstalled it. It worked! Go figure. And it works as the manual says it should. Didn't make sense to me that it wasn't working. Installed same version that was there but since I used a Quickstart installation of Joomla with a template, VM was already there. Thinking a glitch of some sort occurred.

Hope you figure out the file size problem. I don't FTP the files but upload them via VM.

Can't say I love VM but glad it's working.

MoneyMagnets

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:08:21 am »
Thanks chokens86! That worked for me.

I moved hosting accounts and now when I try to load the products I'm getting an error but that solved it.

Cheers,
Karen