News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Problem processing PayPal payments

Started by Motoko, June 01, 2011, 21:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motoko

I've recently installed a new website based on Joomla 1.5.23 and VM 1.1.8, which you can find here: http://section9sounds.com. We sell digital products through downloads.

All went fine and we're happy to have the site up and running. But we have run into an issue with the factory paypal payment module. I've searched all over the forums and also on the internet and haven't found a working solution.

Here's what's going on. You can add products to the cart and go to the checkout. We currently only support PayPal as payment option. Once you have verified your order and finalized it you are redirected to PayPal.

Now on a side-note. I've ran into an issue with the currency and fixed that by using the product currency instead of the vendor currency. So that's all good now and we accept USD, GBP, AUD and EURO.

What should happen is the following:
- The website generates a confirmation of the order and attaches the status 'Pending' (I would rather have it generate an email after payment is successful)
- The website redirects to paypal with the correct currency and amounts
- After paying the order successfully the user is redirected to the website
- The website confirms the successful processing of the payment

So far so good. Optimizing this thing is something I might look into, but for now this is fine. But then:

- Update the status of the order
- Notify the buyer of the updated status
- Send email with download link

And these last things don't happen. I've tried the paypal patch from 2009, but that didn't seem to work. I've also noticed some paypal configuration tips (for the paypal website) regarding IPN and so on, but that didn't solve the issue.

But is there any way, solution to the status update issue? I've seen many threads on this issue, but none of them seem to carry a working solution.

We now have to manually update the status of the order, which is not only a time consuming activity, but also causes delay for the buyer. Especially with customers from all over the world and timezone differences, this is not something we wish to keep going on for too long.

stinga

G'day,

Are you getting an IPN trx back?
Is the status moving from pending to what ever you have set it.
Product currency is probably not what you want to use, you might want to use order currency.
Are you getting emails from the systems when an PP trx happens?
Stinga.
614869 products in 747 categories with 15749 products in 1 category.
                                             Document Complete   Fully Loaded
                Load Time First Byte Start Render   Time      Requests      Time      Requests
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

Motoko

Everything works as it should. BTW, there's a whole updated extra info field posted for PP, that works very well. It does a validation on the currently set currency and such.

But it seems paypal is handled as it should I'm being redirected to the checkout.thankyou page (or something similar) and it reports a successful purchase through paypal. I'm getting emails from the system with orders (status pending) and I get emails from paypal on successful transactions.

It seems that the handling of the response by Virtuemart isn't working as it should. Although I do get the successful purchase response from the website.

Motoko

I now realized I put the wrong URL in the post. It's actually www.section9sounds.com Sorry for the mix-up. So the issue is still not solved.

filmfarci

yeah, this is a problem.
my site sells downloadable products too, and i had this problem with several VM versions. than in 1.1.8 i had it fixed but........in 1.1.9 it came back occasionally.
some orders are processed well and confirmed after paypal payment, but some orders stay pending after paypal payment.
it seems that orders of a single product go well, and orders of several products at once (sometimes) stay pending (after PP payment), but i'm not sure, i also have free products.
any suggestions?

stinga

Yes,

Look in PayPal and have a look at the IPN transaction history/status. This will tell you what PP did with the IPN. If the status is 200 then your website said 'OK' to PP, if it is not correct on your site then you will need to have a look in notify.php
Stinga.
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

filmfarci

Thanx Stinga
I had another one today.
the status in the IPN transaction history/status of paypal is 200.
but the order stayed pending

what to do?

marc

filmfarci

does anyone have a suggestion?
i cant find any other post about this.

the problem only occurs with multiple products orders. (they stay 'pending' after succesfull PayPal payment)
single product orders are normally changed to 'confirmed' by the system after PPpayment

stinga

Can you confirm that single line order are successful and multi line orders fail. This could pint to the problem.
Stinga.

filmfarci

yes i can confirm that, if you mean orders of 1 single product with 'single line order'.
i have orders dayly without problems, a lot of them are orders of a free downloadable product, but also products that are payed for by paypal. (downloadable or delivered by mail)
the problem occurs with orders of multiple products.

filmfarci

Forget that last post.
today a single line order stayd pending, allthough it was payed for by paypal

filmfarci

Hello, please help.
this is a big problem.

filmfarci

HELP anyone???
i have contacted motoko (who started this post), and his reply was:
QuoteI have solved the issue by switching to another system and leaving Virtue Mart. As we are our downloadable goods globally I want that process to go as smoothly and automatically as possible. Manually changing statusses etc. wasn't an option.
We are now running our shop on ECWID, which has been a blast so far.

well, that is no option for me, i want to stay with virtuemart.
but please.... since downloadable products are an option, someone should be able to help me solve this? :-\

stinga

You are going to have to throw in some debugging to work out what it wrong.
If PP says the IPN was successful then the issue has to be with VM.

notify.php is where all the action happens.
Stinga.

jameel

Stinga is right you can change the flow in notify.php.. further more if you are having multi-currency store you can use Paypal payment module for multicurrency store.. it will pass all correct info to the paypal.. visit the following link.

http://www.itechshop.org/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=11

If you want to display 98 currencies on your website and accept paypal supported currencies you can visit
http://www.itechshop.org/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=19

:)
Virtuemart + Joomla extensions www.itechshop.org
get Paypal extended, payza extended, moneybookers extended module that let you use 98  currencies nonsupported paypal/alertpay/mb currencies on VM 1.1.x and convert them to supported one at www.itechshop.org

220+ domain extensions www.industechnologies.co