News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Custom Field - what is it?

Started by Joseph Kwan, July 20, 2011, 07:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph Kwan

Are there any documentation for the custom field? Look like this will replace advanced attribute, custom attribute and product type. User will need to how to convert their 1.1 system to the 2.0 format.

At least a short explanation of the idea behind will be beneficial.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Joseph Kwan

VM2 is an upgrade for VM1.1. User will expect there will be a smooth transition and not to start from scratch. Otherwise why bother to upgrade instead of switching to another solution.

I understand the heavy load on the dev team. Documentation may need to be shared by the community. But will it be possible for the dev team to provide some guidance or at least thoughts on how to
1. create a custom field that match an advanced attribute
2. create a custom field that match a custom attribute
3. create a custom field that match a product type
Other possible uses of custom field.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

Milbo

Quote from: Joseph Kwan on July 20, 2011, 17:59:31 PM
VM2 is an upgrade for VM1.1. User will expect there will be a smooth transition and not to start from scratch. Otherwise why bother to upgrade instead of switching to another solution.
Did you tried the migrator of the c version?

Quote from: Joseph Kwan on July 20, 2011, 17:59:31 PM
1. create a custom field that match an advanced attribute
2. create a custom field that match a custom attribute
3. create a custom field that match a product type
Other possible uses of custom field.

Yeah you are right. The documentation will be written that way next weeks. But there is only one developer who knows and he is just busy ;-)
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Joseph Kwan

Quote from: Milbo on July 20, 2011, 18:10:46 PM
Did you tried the migrator of the c version?
You mean the migrator will migrate advanced attribute, custom attribute and product type as well. That will be a good news. But unfortunately, I cannot upgrade to c version automatically. There is an error popup. I will do a manual update at a later time.

Quote from: Milbo on July 20, 2011, 18:10:46 PM
But there is only one developer who knows and he is just busy ;-)
I fully understand. That's why we need help from the community and other team members. Did someone in the testing team test the creation of attribute etc? He/She should be able to tell how this can be accomplished.

Milbo

Quote from: Joseph Kwan on July 20, 2011, 19:49:49 PM
You mean the migrator will migrate advanced attribute, custom attribute and product type as well.
Partly, but there will be migrators, you can be sure.

There is an error popup. I will do a manual update at a later time.
Yeah akeeba updated the beta to final, almost the same time. The new version should work smoothly.

I fully understand. That's why we need help from the community and other team members. Did someone in the testing team test the creation of attribute etc? He/She should be able to tell how this can be accomplished.

It is not so hard to find it out. They just played a bit around with it, but mainly just used the sampels by Patrick.

Joseph Kwan

I've tested with the sample data. For the product "Hammer", eg, it is an advanced attribute in VM1.1 and supposed to show 2 dropdowns for user to select Size and Material. But in VM1.9.8, I don't see any dropdowns.
Does it mean dropdown is not longer supported? Or we need a customize view/layout to show a dropdown?