News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

release candidate of VirtueMart 2

Started by Milbo, May 04, 2011, 12:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

The team is proud to announce the release candidate of VirtueMart 2.

Download VM2-RC

Download VM2-RC-Plugins/Modules All in one installer (updated)

The Release Candidate contains a lot new features:

- media handler (multiple images)

- custom fields (replacing the old attributes, producttypes, variants,...)

- true child products in sense of OOP (unpublished parents can be used as linked product pattern)

- mail template system

- new currency formation possibilities

- more modules and plugins

- new admin menu layout

- meta tags

- more filters and searches

- complete anonymous checkout

- revenue report

- new template

What happend with the j1.6 support?

We wanted to support j1.6, but joomla does not make this easy. The version 1.6 is supported by jooomla only 6 months and after 3 months they did a lot of changes, which make virtuemart 2 incompatible again. In some months there will be already j1.7. For more information please read VM2 and j1.6

Most of the work we did was finetuning many details. We added all known currency formats, we improved listings, the meta tags and page titles are better for SEO now, improved ergonomics.

The new custom fields system supports at the moment only what was done with variants before. But the new system should make the computer configurator possible.

What is left to be done for the final release?

Our focus is now on security, speed, ergonomics and on payment/shipment plugins.

We already added some blockers for crosssite scripters, now we will add more of these and pay more attention to prevent sql injections.

We will slim down again the code to improve speed.

We are going to write some payment plugins, for exampel authorize and paypal

and a shipment plugin for downloadables.

Known bugs:

- the media handler has some teething problems.

- Recommend a product to a friend is not working yet.

- custom fields show more opportunities than actually correctly working.

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

jjk

If you are curious what VM2 looks like ...here is my first screenshot  :D
Note: The Joomla template is not included!

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

guilliam

"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.
^^If u read that in $GREEN, Argh!! u missed the HIGHLIGHTS and all the FUN!
www.joomlaconsultancy.net  |  www.astang.com

jjk

Just for fun - employed a 'lines of code counter' to count VM2RC:

Result for all processed Files:
Number of analyzed files   563
88053   Lines
44467   Code lines
17053   Blank lines (less than 3 characters)
26533   Comment lines
Comments in file 30 %
;)

jjk

You can also find it on: Developer Portal - Files
or use this direct link:
http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/263/com_virtuemart_2.0-RC.zip
Don't forget to download and install the file "mod_virtuemart_allinone_2.0.2-RC.zip", too.

djliquid

What is the safest / best practice for updating from a previous beta (2.0 beta 3 for me)

dpk

Thanks. I found it after logging in to the project tracker.

Some files seem to be missing the jscook menu in mod_virtuemart -- caused the site to crash on a fresh J1.5+VM2.0RC1 install.

cmatte

Hi to all, seems really cool!!!
Just a question. I am developing a new webshop for a client that uses vm 1.1.8 right now, with many personalized hacks / modifications. Is an "update" procedure going to be released when the final version is out? Will it be able to compare the code giving evidence of previous modifications?

jenkinhill

There should be an update script available a couple of months after release of VM2 final, but it will most likely concentrate on database changes and configuration.

As all the code has been rewritten (over 40,000 lines of it) then a compare and merge operation for hacks will be nearly impossible. Add in a delay before 3rd party developers get up to speed with shipping and payment plugins, and you would be better off sticking with 1.1.8 for quite a long time.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

gtech

Thank you VM TEAM !
Keep it going :) Will DEMO site be available ?
I love what I do  - I do www
Suknie Slubne Suknie Wieczorowe

Margaret

i would also like a demo site with virtuemart 2 please

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Kevin

Quote from: gtech on May 12, 2011, 16:35:22 PM
Thank you VM TEAM !
Keep it going :) Will DEMO site be available ?
Quote from: jenkinhill on May 09, 2011, 23:07:50 PM
There should be an update script available a couple of months after release of VM2 final, but it will most likely concentrate on database changes and configuration.

As all the code has been rewritten (over 40,000 lines of it) then a compare and merge operation for hacks will be nearly impossible. Add in a delay before 3rd party developers get up to speed with shipping and payment plugins, and you would be better off sticking with 1.1.8 for quite a long time.
I want to get started building a new site.  Would it be imprudent to start building the new site with release candidate of VirtueMart 2 with the hope of updating to the full release once available?  Thanks