News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Do not be fooled by RedShop's slick presentation!

Started by sitebuildernow, April 26, 2011, 17:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sitebuildernow

I have been using Virtuemart for about 4 years and I was looking for a "one stop shop" where I wouldn't have to deal with multiple developers to get all of my shopping cart needs met. I found RedShop and thought "man this is great". Of course, with RedShop you cannot try anything but the basic software without buying their $400 per year subscription.

Well, I am not afraid to invest in my business so I did it (I got a sale so only had to pay $300). BAD MOVE - what an in credible waste of money. The user interface is pretty but it WILL NOT import your products from Virtuemart if you have attributes, child products or other extras. It also did not import the "extra images". After struggling with it for several hours I was finally told "oh, that will be fixed in the next release". If you read the forums that is a common response. I read on one post that it is not uncommon for the new release to fix old bugs but then create new ones.

The bottom line is RedShop is not what it's cracked up to be. Virtuemart is still the best product on the market for a professional shopping cart/ecommerce solution.
Coburn Enterprises
"Better Everything"
Website Developer / SEO and SEM Expert
Joomla! and Virtuemart (current versions always)

Milbo

Sounds familiar,... as I was working on vm1.2, mr red showed me the beta version and just told him that he just took vm1.1 and made it worse
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Matt78

I have made similar experience with the event component @redcomponent.
What what do you expect if the redcomponent company tells the community that a shop doesn´t need to be multilanguage in a translateable way like joomfish. Ronny told me that a subdomain is the state of the art for doing multiple language translations. Seems strange as there isn´t a SEO improvement and much more work at all.
And the way they handle bugs was the worst way ever. One bug is solved and a dozen new bugs comes around. Seems that they never want to bring up a realy stable version of their products. But thanks for telling us. The new version of VM with the MVC concept will be the state of the art joomla shopsystem. There are a few things like german law improvement etc. But I guess this is exeptable and maybe there will be a good solution bringing up the shipping costs near the price and tax information.. We will see...

Best regards

Matt

jjk

ok, here is my little rant... ;D:

yesterday I watched a video from J&Beyond 2011. I wondered who insisted on placing the big RedShop advertising in the VM2 presentation. To me it seemed to be somewhat unfair to position it right next to the VM2 lead developer...

...However, he kept smiling!

(If I would have done that presentation, I'm shure I would have included a statement like "The next thing VM2 does better than this rusty red code" every fifth minute - until the RS guys would have taken that billboard away)

HiHi... :D
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations