News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM2 and j1.6

Started by Milbo, April 25, 2011, 18:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewGroove

Any chance of an OFFICIAL comment regarding when VirtueMart is likely to be fully compatible with Joomla 1.6 and/or 1.7?

Milbo

It is many times stated in this post.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

NewGroove

Quote from: Milbo on May 12, 2011, 21:42:21 PM
It is many times stated in this post.

@Milbo, I read this thread in-full before posting my question. The reason for my post is that the statements are somewhat ambiguous. Focusing on statements that appear to have some "official" status:

Quote from: jenkinhill on May 02, 2011, 17:37:42 PM

VirtueMart will be available and working on on future Joomla versions, but my guess, as J1.7 is to be released in just over 2 months, is that 1.7 should be the version to aim at, but 1.7 won't be available for testing until some time in June.

Important thing to me is to see VM2 working with Joomla1.5 initially and then make whatever changes needed to work with future Joomla versions.

Note that I am not a member of the development team, but try to keep up with what is happening here and in the Joomla world at large.

Then you follow-up with:

Quote from: Milbo on May 02, 2011, 18:19:30 PM
You are not part of the development team, but you are part of the team and explained perfectly how we want to handle it.

Then we have:

Quote from: impleri on May 04, 2011, 20:41:03 PM
2. Now that the RC has been released, I'm back to getting VM2 working with J1.6. I'm finding that most of it is working perfectly. Some bugs are because code written at the beginning of the VM2 rewrite didn't utilise the 1.5 API to its full extent (or used methods which were in j1.5 for easier adaption from j1.0). Heck, there's still a lot of old PHP4 assign-by-reference =& syntax (which was deprecated in PHP5). I am certain that I'll (and if any of the other devs still are interested, we'll) be able to get the stable release of VM2 working with J1.6.

Reading the above posts, I am unclear whether the Development Team is aiming to have compatibility with Joomla 1.6 by the release of VirtueMart 2.0 Stable; or whether compatibility is being postponed until some time after the release of Joomla 1.7.

beipink

@NewGroove
Mate, it is as clear as water. Milbo who is the lead developer will focus to get VM2.0 stable out asap.  jenkinhill highlighted the reasons that triggered this move.
Impleri will work to fix the compatibility issues with J1.6 without guarantee VM2.0 will work flawless on J1.6! Bear in Mind that in 2months time J1.7 which is a slightly modified version of J1.6 will be out an J1.6! will become obsolete.
Currently VM2.0 is in BETA and at this point in time it's better to focus the resources to get out VM2.0 or 2.1 stable.

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

inalyricalcoma

Hello,

thanks for your work, VM needed a recode!

i'm sorry to bump this topic again, but i need to build an e-commerce for a client within the next weeks and i need to plan my work :(

is there any update on the issues with J1.6?

or is there a list or something i can use to do part of this work myself?

regards,

p.s. i know J1.5 is actually a better choice, but i'm forced to use J1.6 for a couple features (mostly about the way it handles languages / templates)

jjk

one possibility would be to start with adding products into the next Release Candidate (probably within the next few days), and export the VM2 database tables into a later version that is compatible with J1.7, which is scheduled for the 10th of July. The VM2 database tables would be the same for J1.5.x and J1.7.x.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

djliquid

Quote from: jjk on May 17, 2011, 13:10:05 PM
one possibility would be to start with adding products into the next Release Candidate (probably within the next few days), and export the VM2 database tables into a later version that is compatible with J1.7, which is scheduled for the 10th of July. The VM2 database tables would be the same for J1.5.x and J1.7.x.

Look forward to it

jeorcal

one possibility will be to switch to Hikashop , full working for J16

Milbo

vm rc2 is compatible with j1.6, the question is how long it lasts.

beipink

that's a good question Max......The time will answer that :P
On another note, I have to admit that lately I'm more thrilled by nooku project than joomla itself. 

Milbo

Then you will be happy that we follow more and more nooku conventions

awesomeness

If VirtueMart is skipping J1.6, and going to J1.7, my question is "Where does it end?".  Joomla is moving to a fast-paced release schedule.  So as soon as J1.7 is out, the same exact statement will be true that "the next Joomla release will be out in a couple months, so we're skipping this one".  It seems that there needs to be a fundamental change in the way VirtueMart releases are handled, because holding off "since the next release is close" is going to be a perpetual issue.

jjk

It does make sense to skip J1.6 for several reasons. One is that J1.6 contains a lot of bugs. Another one is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest a lot of time to make the brand new VM2 J1.6.3 compatible and a week later J1.6.3 bug fixing stops because J1.7.0 will be released. However, VM2 RC2 and VM2stable might run on J1.6.3. A VM Team member is working towards this and most of VM2's current SVN version already works on J1.6.3 and J1.7 Alpha.  From the users's point of view J1.7 is basically a J1.6.3 with 350+ bug fixes and very few new features. (At present the Joomla guys are a week behind schedule with their J1.7 Beta)...  ;)

I suppose the VM developers agree that making VM2 stable has priority over meeting certain release dates, which is what the Joomla guys did the other way round with J1.6 and probably one of the reasons why it was released with plenty of bugs.

The "fast-paced release schedule" of future Joomla versions will most of the time just be small update patches like most of us have seen in the past for J1.5.x. And the release of new Joomla versions doesn't automatically stop your VM shop to work. There are plenty of old VM shops online which haven't been updated to the latest version for years. Concerning VM2, 'Akeeba Live Update' has just been implemented into the system, so theoretically the developers could feed you with a VM2 update every day at 12 o' clock noon except on Weekends and Holidays  ;D
...But I'm shure most shop owners wouldn't want to deal with daily updates once their shop is online
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

korb

Quote from: Milbo on June 05, 2011, 16:09:40 PM
vm rc2 is compatible with j1.6, the question is how long it lasts.

I really like nooku ideas, but I couldn't check them as it is far away from my knowledge right now. I couldn't even install nooku and I can Joomla since mambo...

Regards,
Danny