Author Topic: Child Product Stock Control  (Read 5059 times)

vwsp

• Beginner
Child Product Stock Control
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:54:05 am »
Firstly, thanks to the developers for Virtuemart.

My question relates to Child Product Stock Control. Here is an example:

My product is, say, printed artwork in a poster format. I only have a certain number of posters (say 20) but I can supply the posters in different formats, e.g. Laminated, Framed, Cardboard-backed. In a simple world I would just create a new attribute (for these format options) on the Parent product as I can adjust the price differences - but because as a finished product they will also be at different weights, postage will be very different for each - hence why i have created them as Child Products instead and the weights are entered in each Child and Shipping is calculated easily.

So I would have thought I could set up the Parent product as the base (with stock as 20), and each Child Product when ordered could draw down from this total, gradually reducing to 0. But it doesn't seem to work that way - the Parent Product doesn't ever reduce, and the Child Products cannot each be set to 20 because I haven't got 20 of EACH Child Product.

Does anyone know how this could be solved? Thanks!

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
Re: Child Product Stock Control
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:10:56 am »
You probably need to synchronize the stock change of child products with the parent product. But that will not be straight forward.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

cte2087

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 15:06:49 pm »
Hello,
First let me say how amazing I think VM is!

I am working with VM 1.1.4 and Joomla! 1.5.23 builds. I am also utilizing the 3rd party application eCC.

When I upload my products to the online store with eCC, I do not get the stock control that I would like. I uploads each item as a separate unrelated item with no parent. What I would like to find is a plugin or module that could help easily turn these uploaded products into child products of a parent that I create after upload. Does anyone have any solutions for this challenge?

Joseph, would this be something that you might be able to do?

Thank in advance,
CTE2087

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 18:31:10 pm »
I don't know about eCC. My impression is uploading child products and stock control should be basic as a vm upload tool. You can consider using CSVImproved.
Maybe I will update my XLS upload hack some time later. But I cannot guarantee.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

nagodfrey

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:58:55 am »
Hello,
First let me say how amazing I think VM is!

I am working with VM 1.1.4 and Joomla! 1.5.23 builds. I am also utilizing the 3rd party application eCC.

When I upload my products to the online store with eCC, I do not get the stock control that I would like. I uploads each item as a separate unrelated item with no parent. What I would like to find is a plugin or module that could help easily turn these uploaded products into child products of a parent that I create after upload. Does anyone have any solutions for this challenge?

Joseph, would this be something that you might be able to do?

Thank in advance,
CTE2087

Has anyone found a solution to this?

tuki

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:41 am »
I have the same problem, "played" a lot with it. And found a solution. Watch this tutorial. Generic custom fields with working stock control. http://awebsupport.com/vm2-set-up-child-product-with-stock-control