Author Topic: Add FB Like button to VM Open Graph?  (Read 13288 times)

kevinwood

Add FB Like button to VM Open Graph?
« on: February 26, 2011, 14:44:35 pm »
Hi all.  I'm the developer for VM Open Graph which adds the meta tags to VM pages to get the Facebook Like button to work nicely.  I thought about adding an option to have the plugin add the Like button as well but decided at the time that the placement of the button is too much of a personal decision and is better left to the site administrator. 

I'm just re-thinking this.  Does anyone think that it would be a good idea to include the option for the extension to add the Facebook Like button itself?

_Brake_

• Beginner
Re: Add FB Like button to VM Open Graph?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 13:31:00 pm »
Great idea. Can't get the button to work now :(

Where can I find some information about installation, configuration etc.?

kevinwood

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 15:28:01 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  The best documentation for adding the Facebook Like button is here:

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/

I'll consider adding this feature, but am working on a few other things first.

RAINFIRE

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 13:22:37 pm »
I'm just re-thinking this.  Does anyone think that it would be a good idea to include the option for the extension to add the Facebook Like button itself?

I think this plugin is a great start. I'd very much like you to add the automatic installation of the 'Like' button. Also, more opengraph tags if possible. I used plg_vmopengraph_1.6.zip. You can look at the source at http://www.klipflop.com/ . The store is not active, yet.

I use sh404sef and I saw the 1.6 update had a bug fix for the og:title. It did not fix it with my Joomla 1.5.22 and Virtuemart 1.1.7a installation when I choose the title option to use 'Do not set (uses page title)' instead of product name. Also, it is not displaying the og:url as per your fixes listed. Is this no longer a Facebook requirement as listed in its Facebook Opengraph documentation?

kevinwood

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 16:12:52 pm »
I use sh404sef and I saw the 1.6 update had a bug fix for the og:title. It did not fix it with my Joomla 1.5.22 and Virtuemart 1.1.7a installation when I choose the title option to use 'Do not set (uses page title)' instead of product name. Also, it is not displaying the og:url as per your fixes listed. Is this no longer a Facebook requirement as listed in its Facebook Opengraph documentation?

Thanks for the feedback.  The behaviour you are describing is by design.  If you set the title option to 'Do not set (uses page title)' it simply does not set the og:title tag. This causes Facebook to use the title of the page instead. 

I removed the og:url tag entirely in 1.6 because I now believe that you are better off setting canonical link tags.  To understand the reason for this, assume that you have a product "cool widget" and it is in two different categories, "awesome widgets" and "amazing widgets".  If you click "like" on the product in one category, the fact that it has a like will not show up when you view the product in the other category.  Facebook sees them as two different products because they have two different URLs.  Using the og:url tag will not help this. 

However, if you set one of the URLs to be the canonical URL and add a canonical link to the other URL then Facebook will see them as a single product and the Likes will show up on the product in both categories. 

If you are using sh404sef, I believe that it has the option to add the canonical URL links.  Or you can try out my plugin to automatically add these tags:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-management/seo-a-metadata/16280

kevinwood

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 16:17:17 pm »
Also, more opengraph tags if possible.

Which tags do you think will be useful to add?

nyktovus

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 20:50:20 pm »
og:url

cause currently i'm getting an error saying "You must specify a URL as part of this widget or API."

and its ticking me off.

kevinwood

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 21:02:32 pm »
Where are you getting this message?

mbit

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 15:42:24 pm »
i had a issue, when a user was 'Like' on my products, different pictures instead of the right one were appearing on the fb prof post-like... i installed VM Open Graph plug in and it worked, seems that og:image was the solution..
i was using the following code for like button
Code: [Select]
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like layout="button_count" show_faces="false" width="450" font="verdana"></fb:like><br/>
but now it doesnt work :/ likes are not saved anywhere.. :/ any idea?

kevinwood

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 16:01:52 pm »
Please post a link to your site.

mbit

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 14:31:10 pm »
Please post a link to your site.
i commented/ disabled like button until i find a working solution. seems that VM Open graph plug in cause a complex with a like button code.. not sure why..

using this line and having VM open graph enabled:
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like layout="button_count" show_faces="false" width="450" font="verdana"></fb:like>
i can like a product, the likes appear in my fb profile but i refresh the product page, then likes are still 0 and i can like it again.

edit: using this :
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like width="300"></fb:like><br>

i get the following error
You failed to provide a valid list of administators. You need to supply the administors using either a "fb:app_id" meta tag, or using a "fb:admins" meta tag to specify a comma-delimited list of Facebook users.
probably i have to fill the fb:admin field...

edit:
So i did! i used the fb username then http://developers.facebook.com/tools/lint/  and got the id. Seems it works..
But not 100%!
Meaning that , some products can be liked , and if i refresh it shows +1 but other after  i refresh 0 is still there.. does it matter if the admin user i used has liked the page or not?
is it required to rel="canonical" ?

kevinwood

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 16:28:34 pm »
Seems it works..
But not 100%!
Meaning that , some products can be liked , and if i refresh it shows +1 but other after  i refresh 0 is still there.. does it matter if the admin user i used has liked the page or not?
is it required to rel="canonical" ?

Well, if you are not using either rel-canonical OR enabling the og:url option in the VM Open Graph options, then small differences in the URL will cause problems like this.  For instance, Virtuemart will often add "?pop=0" to the end of a URL.  Without rel-canonical or og:url tags, Facebook will treat this as a separate product, which may be why you are 'losing' Likes.

mbit

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 16:42:21 pm »
Well, if you are not using either rel-canonical OR enabling the og:url option in the VM Open Graph options, then small differences in the URL will cause problems like this.  For instance, Virtuemart will often add "?pop=0" to the end of a URL.  Without rel-canonical or og:url tags, Facebook will treat this as a separate product, which may be why you are 'losing' Likes.

Add the og:url tag is set to Yes.
I use artio JoomSEF component is there any complex with the plugin?

now.. i like a product and after i refresh, not the like appear + doesnt show up in the prof page... :/

edit: old urls that have been likes a long time now work fine. i like it and the product show on profile + like counts. But at the new products that were added yesterday doesnt work .

kevinwood

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 17:53:41 pm »
Can you provide a URL as a sample?

rupesh

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 15:36:05 pm »
Hi all.  I'm the developer for VM Open Graph which adds the meta tags to VM pages to get the Facebook Like button to work nicely.  I thought about adding an option to have the plugin add the Like button as well but decided at the time that the placement of the button is too much of a personal decision and is better left to the site administrator. 

Hi sir,
Can you please rewrite the plugin for virtuemart 2.0  so that it can be integrated with latest version also!

Thanks for creating open graph plugin!