News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

1.1.7 with Joomla 1.5

Started by gpeppers, February 08, 2011, 22:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpeppers

In shopping for the perfect cart, it seems I require the ability to update using .csv format in Excel.  This also seems to be something which doesn't come standard on VirtueMart.  Is it really true that a person needs to buy an extension to VirtueMart (VM) in order to do this? 

I have found this documentation at CSVImproved.com, which I understand to be an extension to VM.  It seems to be a pay extension.  However, they do mention this (paraphrased):
"...to maintain inventory. Though updating inventory via the provided user interface is possible, ...far from convenient if you have more than a few dozen products. Many suppliers will give you a list of products in CSV format, surely you do not want to type out that list by hand.

...2 options:

Import the list directly into the database using a tool like phpMyAdmin, or...
Import the list using CSV Improved!

...Downside of the first option is that you have to know the database structure of VirtueMart. "...

Before I pay for an extension, I guess I will go check out the phpMyAdmin's forum and see how difficult it might be to learn the database structure of virtueMart... 

Any other sugestions from anyone out there?  -Thanks! 

jimmoeller

I use CSVI with my site (www.devpeak.com).  I currently have over 200,000 downloadable products listed for sale.  What I do with my product database management and uploading it to Virtuemart wouldn't be possible without CSVI.  I don't personally know Roland (the CSVI guy) but do know that he provides good support and his product works well...at least it has for me.  Yes, it costs about $50, but I belive its worth it.  I think what he means in the text you quoted is that you can both use his CSVI to upload products and/or you can put them in manually.  I personally do both.  I have multiple back-end product databases that I manage in another database program.  That program processes raw datafiles that I receive from suppliers and produces structured databases that help me manage a large downloadable product offering.  This back-end database program also produces csv files that are immediately uploadable to Virtuemart through CSVI.

Otto0815

You can register yourself @the csvi page and then download an older version for free....works very fine...

PRO

gpeppers

csvimproved is a very good extension, and has had a lot of investment put into it. Its well worth paying for.