News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Donation Proposal to Virtuemart Development Team

Started by brentonking, February 04, 2011, 16:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentonking

OK. 2 Points to start off.

1. It is no secret that the biggest issue with Virtuemart is the development speed. More sites would use it if they could expect updates as regularly as other developer products.

2. Virtuemart have no intention of ever charging for the use of their product, even though people already suggest that they would pay for it. I know I would.

My question/suggestion...
Instead of paying for Virtuemart, is there a way we (the users) can donate enough to Virtuemart to allow them to put in place at least 1 full-time developer/support member? Even temporarily to get V.2 stabilized quicker and bring forward the release date, and also whatever 1.1 still requires?

This question goes out to the Virtuemart development team ... How much do you need donated before say, 1st March to confidently put in place a temporary full- time developer? Or even an annual figure to keep it going?

If you can give us a figure then I would suggest users post, how much they are willing to donate individually, to help get Virtuemart progressing at a faster pace.

I have donated 20 Euros, and would be willing to donate another 20 if guaranteed something like this can be put in place. I would donate it now, but I worry that the development will be too slow that I will have to turn other ecommerce before my shop is launched. I'm sure other users are in the same boat. They worry that their donation might not be going anywhere if the development isn't suitable for them. I will also continue to donate into the future once I am happy with the flow of VM updates.

So if VM can give us a figure, users should post what we are willing to donate/have donated by the date given, tally it up and try hit the figure. When we get enough, VM will hopefully put someone on full-time and then the users who have given their word can make their promised donation.

What do you think? Does anyone have another solution?

I just want to add that I don't have anything to do with the development of Virtuemart. I'm not a team member, I'm just a passionate user. Sooooo many people are itching for VM to be developed at a constant pace and this is the only solution I could think of.

supplementalsounds

I'm all for this idea. I think if they ran a small campaign about it they could easily raise enough to accomplish what you are talking about.

PRO

brentonking, are you wanting vmart 2.0 to be finished early?

Or do you mean quicker updated to vmart 1.1?

I honestly dont want an update for 1.1 unless its a security update. I dont run a standard version, and have to implement all hacks before updating.

darksoul

_oscar_

With the redesign of VirtueMart (building the 2.0 release), many other things changed as well, team structure, way of working etc.
Support is always welcome in any way, but we didn't work out new structures for that yet; out main goal is getting 2.0 stable and out in the world ;)
Thanks for your statements!

EdgeCrafter

A way forward could be using kickstarter, raising money for a sponsored sprint - e.g. deliveries for a version 2.0

Would obvious only make sense if some from the core development team are available for being sponsored for a fixed period of time ?!

uglyfashion

Kickstarter is a good idea!  I know I love this product, but often it seems like it's just missing those final few tweeks to make it (more) perfect

brentonking

Quote from: BanquetTables.pro on February 20, 2011, 18:51:32 PM
brentonking, are you wanting vmart 2.0 to be finished early?

Or do you mean quicker updated to vmart 1.1?

I honestly dont want an update for 1.1 unless its a security update. I dont run a standard version, and have to implement all hacks before updating.

I was more referring to 2.0, as I am hanging out for it badly. But figured some people might only be interested in supporting 1.1.

brentonking

Quote from: EdgeCrafter on March 01, 2011, 17:42:35 PM
A way forward could be using kickstarter, raising money for a sponsored sprint - e.g. deliveries for a version 2.0

Would obvious only make sense if some from the core development team are available for being sponsored for a fixed period of time ?!

Haven't seen this before. I agree, it looks like a great idea for the VM development team!