News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM2 is compatible with J16?

Started by drotha2, January 17, 2011, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drotha2

Hello,
First apologize for my bad English, I'm Spanish and have not mastered the language very well.
I have doubts about whether VM2 will be compatible, if it is not already, with the new J1.6, I need to create a website and wanted to use the new features of J16.
Although I am a fan and I love VM if time does not have to use another application and then try to migrate the site to your project.
I hope not to procrastinate a lot.
Take this opportunity to congratulate you for the great work you are doing.
Thank you very much.

Milbo

Yes, the main part is already done and comitted to svn.

http://virtuemart.net/news/list-all-news/393-changed-roadmap-to-virtuemart-2-and-latest-updates-from-team-for-the-next-year

"The next beta (now just vm2beta2 in future versioning system it would have been vm1.9.3) will contain joomla 1.6 compability. "

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

drotha2

Thanks, I see that this new version will be even better than before using J16 improvements.
I appreciate very much that the project is still GPL and like some of the templates.
VM2 I can download somewhere and tell me you would know if it is stable enough to set up a shop and or maybe I hope to launch in March.

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Greetings.

drotha2

VM2 can be downloaded to mount a store or I wait until March to install a stable version?

I can not find the download link to install.
VM2 I want to install, test and if I can report bugs ...

Thanks!

jenkinhill

The fileset is still under the VM 1.5 beta name - see link on http://virtuemart.net/news/list-all-news/388-beta-virtuemart-15-released

Iif you read the VirtueMart 2 roadmap you will see that it is hoped that a late beta or even release candidate be ready at the end of March - not a full stable release version, so if you need a store now then use VM1.1.6 on J!1.5

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

digimax

thanks, for MV2 i reposted in http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=78637

ontopic for joomla1522/vm116,

can there be an options added to assign a user(storeadmin) to a vendor, or multivendors or vendor cat. so, when he logs in backend, he sees only his assigned products and orders.

i realize its all hands on deck 2 script the next release, but if someone has vm2 coding on this topic translated 2work under vm116 or hacks that would be great, since vm2 is still beta i like to stay with the stable 116 under joomla1522.

drotha2

Thank you very much for the reply, wait for stable VM2 to update and verify the improvements.

You can close the thread as some comments have nothing to do with the original subject.

Thank you very much.

Greetings!

markholland8

JenkinHill - So if VM2 is not ready and you suggest using Joomla 1.5 and VM1.1.6, so if i build a client shop now in 3 months time when vm2 comes out my client shop is then old and out dated. The sync between Joomla 1.5 and most of the developers for all the major apps and i pay for lots of them is really poor.
Mark

jenkinhill

Mark, I am just starting to build a new client store and it will be based on VirtueMart 1.1 with Joomla 1.5. This means that the store can be up and running in a couple of weeks. When VM2 is released I may convert to that version if, at that time, it adds extra capability, speed or security.

I will not be using Joomla 1.6 to build a store, although I am using it for other client sites that do not require additional components. With the new Joomla 6 monthly release cycle we should see Joomla 1.7 in mid-summer and Joomla 1.8 around the end of the year. If components do not require updating for each new Joomla release then it would be OK, but as yet I don't know if this will be the case. For open source components with a small or single person developer base this could become a real issue as they would be spending time on compatibility issues rather than extra or improved function.

Added: since writing this there have been many security issues with J1.6 and it seems that more 3rd party developers are wondering whether it is worth bothering to make components compatible now, or waiting for the next long term stable release, J1.8. The latest news from Akeeba is the most interesting to me: https://www.akeebabackup.com/home/item/1093-joomla-16-will-be-partially-supported.html
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

impleri

I've been working on getting VM2 working with Joomla 1.6 and, as far as I have been able to tell, the next beta will be fully compatible with 1.6 (as well as 1.5 of course).

dontflinch

Quote from: impleri on February 19, 2011, 18:10:16 PM
I've been working on getting VM2 working with Joomla 1.6 and, as far as I have been able to tell, the next beta will be fully compatible with 1.6 (as well as 1.5 of course).

if there was a facebook like button on this post I would use it! 

I have used joomla/vm for many years now and am setting up some new stores.  I am trying to use 1.6 because I do not want to be out of date in a few months and also to get more used to the new 1.6 joomla.  they are both my own stores so I can keep the customer from rushing me too much.  ;)

I tried joomshop today and it is ok but I really prefer vm and hope you guys will get something up and going for a 1.6 integration soon.  I have really loved this script and look forward to the new beta.  thanks you guys I'm sure you're working as quickly as you can, all unpaid of course.  best regards!

websitescenes

I have installed the Virtuemart 2 on Joomla 1.6 today and it is almost there. Still some bugs obviously but getting there. I have one major problem tho, when I point a menu item to any of the virtuemart page options I get errors like:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/elpasosh/public_html/components/com_virtuemart/router.php on line 60

This is just an example of one of the errors.

Bruce Morgan

I am getting the same error message, plus lots of other errors when I try and publish anything related to VM.

Bruce

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

ReJigged

Is there a roadmap and/or timetable for the RC and stable versions of VM2?