News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtuemart core and pay for custom plugins

Started by ZeMadeiran, January 16, 2011, 17:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeMadeiran

OK here I go...

This may not be popular but anyway.

What I would like to see with Vmart which I will call 1.6 :)

I would like to see a solid vmart core fully integrated into Joomla using all it's built in features such as users, categories and articles.

A product would just be created as an article which you would assign to a Joomla category. You would of course be able to create sub categories and assign product articles to them.

This would then allow you to create standard Joomla menu's pointing to your shop categories which in my opinion would be much more user friendly and allow the Joomla team to pull VMart with it as it improves.

The VMart team just needs to improve the core and let Joomla pull it along.

Here comes the part that you may not like :)

The VMart project should provide the core and some standard plugins such as paypal, cod etc.

Everything else should be a commercial plugin!

The team needs support, and donations in my opinion just do not cut it.

I develop Joomla/VMart sites and always get the client to pay for commercial extensions when required as this provides revenue and support for the extension devs.

Plugin's like coupons, payment gateway's and comments can and should be commercial.

A VMart store should be setup to sell VMArt plugins where devs can submit their work and be VMart certified. A small percentage of each sale should go to VMart for infrastructure costs along with revenue (Beer Money) for the VMart core team.

Can VMart be just a plugin and then have it's own plugin's like JCE?

I want to see Virtuemart kick the arse of every cart out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I was a leet php programmer and not just a builder :(

Milbo

Quote from: ZeMadeiran on January 16, 2011, 17:34:42 PM
A VMart store should be setup to sell VMArt plugins where devs can submit their work and be VMart certified. A small percentage of each sale should go to VMart for infrastructure costs along with revenue (Beer Money) for the VMart core team.
Interesting idea,

but I am sorry to say for the rest

Maybe you should read and test first and then give good tips.

It is a bit annoying to spent hours writing down goals, philosophies or spending hundred hours of writing code when people just ignore it.

http://virtuemart.net/news/list-all-news/354-new-team-new-direction-new-version-new-vision
"We call that version vm1.5. .... First priority is to get a sophisticated smooth running code in joomla MVC style."

http://virtuemart.net/news/list-all-news/388-beta-virtuemart-15-released

http://virtuemart.net/news/list-all-news/393-changed-roadmap-to-virtuemart-2-and-latest-updates-from-team-for-the-next-year
"The generall philosophy is now to use the pluginsystem as best as possible and to provide a small stable core."

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=78259.0

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=78322.0

Maybe this helps to be more updated.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

beipink

QuoteHere comes the part that you may not like Smiley
The VMart project should provide the core and some standard plugins such as paypal, cod etc.
Everything else should be a commercial plugin!
I'm not sure this is exactly the goal of the community around this project.
Anyway, have you considered that if VM becomes "commercial fully or partialy" it will be less attractive compared to other open source and Free options out there.

The idea of a small royalty for the sale of certified plug-in is good.

ZeMadeiran

Hi beipink,

I am not saying that VM should become fully or partially commercial. The core should always be open with the essential plugins included.

It's when you need a non standard plugin to take care of a certain non standard function that we should pay both the developer and a royalty to the vm team.

I would be more then happy to pay for a plugin which I always add to my clients bill. The other advantage to having a official VM plugin shop lets say would be that each plugin would have to go through an official testing team to make sure it it functions as expected and without bugs.

Is that not worth paying for? I pay £150 per year for the BBC television licence, I am happy to pay that and contribute even if they just produced Doctor Who!!!!

People need to eat, how much money have you made because of VM?

Do you see may point? What if one of the team ran into money problems, should his/her contribution to the VM community be noted and that person helped out where possible?

OK the community helps out but those of us who are not programmers but instead implement VM would also like to make a contribution be it financial. If everyone helped out a little then as open source has proven, there is no stopping the rock moving.

I for one wish the dev team a very successful new year.

beipink

What do you mean "The core should always be open with the essential plugins included"? - who is to decide the plug-ins that are part of the core and those that are not?
Selling plug-ins is third party developers business.
VM devs are working to make a stable core and then add community most requested features.

I rather see an opportunity to create an foundation or an entity that transparently handles marketing of the product, brand, community, developers and expenses. similar to what already exist for Joomla, Mozilla etc etc..

I actually work in the logistics and don't make any money out of VM or Joomla for that matter  ;) - This is purely an hobby for me -
that said, nobody stops me or you making a donation or contributing to the project in any way if you feel it's appropriate to do so;D

cheers,
beipink

ZeMadeiran

Just caught up with this post :)

Again I will repeat, the core should remain open and foundation controlled.

Good coders should be rewarded for their skill set and plugins with a bit going to the Virtuemart "foundation".

The dev team should concentrate on putting out a rock solid mvc vmart core along with several basic and essential plugins.

We are not talking massive amounts of money for plugins....