News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtuemart open beta released (updated)

Started by Milbo, November 11, 2010, 18:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suli3

Hi

Where can i report bugs/problems with the 1.5? I am testing it and found a lot of bugs/mis-configurations

jjk

Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Yxos

Will 1.5 work with Artisteer templates?  Currently there some quite annoying issues with VM 1.1.5 coexisting with Artisteer themes for Internet Explorer. (FireFox and Chrome have no problems...!)

Unfortunately most of my customers still use IE...  Bugger!
Yxos

Milbo

Quote from: jjk on November 14, 2010, 08:12:55 AM
One of the first 'bugs' I noticed is that the VM Image folders are not created during installation.

ah thanks yes. This happened because we tried to install the paymentplugins with the virtuemart installer. I just removed that and the images work now. The file is already updated.
We provide a payment all in one installer, I updated the download links
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Quote from: Yxos on November 14, 2010, 20:08:58 PM
Will 1.5 work with Artisteer templates?

I dont know for that special case, but one of our testers tested it with the joomlart template and it works well.

You dont need any very special templates anylonger, you can just take a joomla one and complete it with the virtuemart stuff.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

IntraX

It is obviously not a release candidate yet, from the list above with missing implementations and bugs it may still take a while until it can be used on a live site. :)

franzpeter

Well, it is a big step forward to make VM MVC. Important functions are still the same. Those important things like payment and shipping remain unchanged and have the same lack of functionality as in VM 1.1.5. It is still not possible to publish or unpublish payment methods or shipping methods by selecting or deselecting countries. We can add country specific calculation rules, but we cannot select to show or hide payment or shipping methods by selecting or deselecting countries. Lets say I just want allowing customers from the country of the shop origin to pay with cod. There is no way to do so. Shopper Groups are not the way to do it. I hope the final release will have those things, which are important for shop owners.

Milbo

Quote from: franzpeter on November 15, 2010, 10:38:09 AM
Important functions are still the same. Those important things like payment and shipping remain unchanged and have the same lack of functionality as in VM 1.1.5.
The code is 90% new. It is absolutly NOT the same. When you think it is the same then you did not get the point with the payment plugins and payment methods and yes you can both publish it.

Quote from: franzpeter on November 15, 2010, 10:38:09 AM
It is still not possible to publish or unpublish payment methods or shipping methods by selecting or deselecting countries.
It is new for me that this is a requested feature. I can say that it wouldnt take long to add it working that way. The secret is the cart object stored in the session.

franzpeter

@Milbo,
maybe the code is new, but the functionality is the same. I just take a look beyond the VM horizon. Those possibilties with publishing or unpublishing payment or shipping methods for countries as a more global function are implemented in a lot of shop systems. You can do that in OpenCart, Prestashop, Magento, CS Cart, Tienda a.s.o.. In Magento for example the shop owner can define conditions to publish or unpublish things like payment, shipping, rebate or something else with dropdowns in the backend. So you can say for example customers from country xyz are allowed to pay with cod but don't get rebate and the shop only shows DHL shipping for them or something else.
But it would be sufficient to be able to define or exclude countries for specific payment or shipping methods. Maybe the payment provider, who develops a plugin can include something in the source code, but what if I want to have something else? It should be the decision of the shop owner and not the decision of the developer of a plugin or module. I don't think that, like done in other shopping carts, implementing geo zones is necessary. It would be sufficient to implement something like a switch in the backend to control the visibility of some functions in the frontend. I am not a programmer but as far as I can see, VM has the necessary information if the customer enters the delivery address, to decide to show or to hide something during the checkout.
The shopper group is, from my point of view, not the right way to control shipping or payment functions.

Milbo

okey, thanks franz, I understand what you mean.

I try to explain the difference. In vm1.1 was it very hard to add such functionalities. In VM1.5 I could add payment methods using shoppergroups within some hours (not a day) and adding countries is quite the same.

We are happy that we created a new car and with a new engine, of course the turboloader, stereo and powered windows will follow.

franzpeter

Milbo,

I think the shoppergroups is the wrong place to implement something like that. The shoppergroup, as it is now, is a decision of the shop owner. After customer registration, I can decide for the future to which group the customer belongs in future. What about first time customers? Lets say a first time customer comes from Germany. So he may use all payment methods but I would like to offer flat rate shipping. Another one comes from the UK. I would like to offer all payment methods except cod and on invoice and shipping method should be UPS live rate.
With shopper group in the existing way, that is not possible in advance, because it needs a customer registration and than a decision of the shop owner about the customer group.
Best way would be, if VM would have the possibility to apply predefined shipping and payment methods in a country specific way in the checkout process.

Milbo

No problem to add  both of it,... the data is already in the cart and handled for the calculation rules, ...

nedge2k

Just installed on fresh J1.6 install (no sample data), seems to be having language issues - everything is xx_xx_xx_xx e.g. VM_PRODUCT_LIST_NAME

Also, is CSV product upload not built-in now?

FWIW, I think a migration tool is a bad idea - so many people have done so many different things to 1.1.x, it would just cause massive headaches for all concerned!

orasis

Quote from: nedge2k on November 17, 2010, 12:02:57 PM
FWIW, I think a migration tool is a bad idea - so many people have done so many different things to 1.1.x, it would just cause massive headaches for all concerned!

if its to start a new site from scrach on j1.6 and vm1.5 then you sure don't need the tool. Such tool should be there though anyway, no mater if some will use it or not I think.

Milbo

Just installed on fresh J1.6 install (no sample data), seems to be having language issues - everything is xx_xx_xx_xx e.g. VM_PRODUCT_LIST_NAME
Please look here: https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=78363.0

Also, is CSV product upload not built-in now?
There was only a link set, csvi is not part of vm1.1

a migration tool tries to port the old data structure into a new one.
First: The rule is that people who customize are not the problem of the producer, normally you lose your warranty, when you start to customize your product.
Second: The changes people did are mostly based on files and not the database structure. This stuff must completly rewritten anyway or is just obsolete.
Third: Most shops are very happy, when at least the products, categories, orders, and shoppers are ported.