News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Fedex API old technology - WebServices New

Started by powerasker, January 02, 2009, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerasker

Hi .. all

Using the Fedex module in Virtuemart is not that easy as all friendly helpers are trying to tell you in this forum.

I'm a Swedish admin and had problems for six month and had extensive exchange with Fedex.

The current solution that is provided by Virtuemart is based on an old API technology that Fedex is still supporting til summer 2009.

For some customers the old API is not an option or what I'm trying to tell you .. the current Fedex module in Virtuemart does not work for everyone ... Some customers have to use the Fedex WebService support.

A friendly soul help me out with testing an existing customers account number with legacy (API) support on my own site to confirm that is correct configured.

With other words ... Fedex can make your customers account to support or not support the old API. For those customer that does not have the support can't use the current Fedex Module solution in Virtuemart.

I have tried to convince Fedex to turn on the legacy support for my customer without any success. They are unwilling to help you and their support is very very confusing depending on who you talked to. Some of them ensure you that it will work while others promptly tell you that WebServices is the only way.

My conclusion is that
- Fedex controls legacy support
- If you don't have legacy support ... you can't use the current Fedex module in Virtuemart
- We need a new module that works with Fedex WebServices.

Are there any plans from Virtuemart or anyone else to make such a module that support Fedex WebServices?

Here is an answer from Fedex ....

"It is a company decision that new API implementations are not allowed. There is
nothing I can do to change this. The way forward is to use WebServices. Please let
us know if you need any support with this."

BR Powerasker

Nick Miletich

Thanks for the post powerasker.

From what I've found he's absolutely correct.  It has nothing to do with Virtuemart.  In essence, there's nothing you can do to get it to work!

So if you are just starting to configure FedExDC shipping module save yourself the time and look for another solution.

:(

Nick Miletich

Ok, everything I just said in my last post was incorrect.   ::)

I enabled debug mode in virtuemart and saw that FedEx is returning information about FedEx Ground shipping.  So it's something in Virtuemart.

Here's another interesting bit of information I read on the FedEx developer site:
QuoteIf the package is to a business, the service type is FedEx Ground. If the package is to a residence, the service type is FedEx Home Delivery®.

Debug Info:

Bob Bloom

I just posted an annoucement about developing the new FedEx Shipping Method for "Web Services" at http://www.southlasalle.com/blog/fedex-web-services-shipping-method-for-vm-113/.

What do you think?
-Bob
Bob Bloom
freelance Joomla speshitpillt
http://southlasalle.com

lowmips

I know this is kind of digging up an old post, but this thread is the very first result that comes up when I searched for "VirtueMart FedEx Web Services" in Google, so I'd like to link to my publicly released FedEx v2 for Web Services module, located
here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=58818.0

Thanks,
Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

Jeremy - CodeDonors.com

I have a module called FedEx Complete that's currently in use by some high traffic and high profile businesses. Rates, Labels, Address Validation & Tracking are all included through Web Services. I can be reached on Skype - jmcdonald.codedonors or through here if anyone is interested.
Been doing this for a long time and still having fun :-)

PHP, Javascript, CSS, Bash, Perl and Python

FYI...WebHostManager (WHM) offers free SSL for all sites on the server via Sectigo and you can turn it on in under 5 minutes.