Author Topic: VirtueMart and Joomla Cache Problems  (Read 9662 times)

phildegruchy

• Beginner
    • OneSpecs Opticians
VirtueMart and Joomla Cache Problems
« on: September 03, 2010, 13:32:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a VirtueMart site (www.onespecs.co.uk) which is working fine.  However it is pretty slow in loading.  To speed things up I wanted to turn on the Joomla cache (Global Config -> Settings).  However, when I do this within the VirtueMart browse pages the product image is showing as the same image for each product.  Just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this problem?

I'm using VM 1.1.14 and Joomla 1.5.20.

Cheers,
Phil
OneSpecs.co.uk VirtueMart Store | Joomla 1.5 | VirtueMart 1.1.4

jenkinhill

• UK Web Developer & Consultant
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
Re: VirtueMart and Joomla Cache Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:43:49 pm »
This is a known issue with the Joomla cache. Some users have managed to exclude VirtueMart from caching.

There is not VirtueMart 1.1.14  - if you mean 1.1.4 then an upgrade to 1.1.5 may help as it has improved sql handling. Try on a test site first.
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Unsolicited PMs/emails will be ignored.

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Currently using VirtueMart  4.0.2 10661 on Joomla 3.10.9 PHP 7.4.29

phildegruchy

• Beginner
    • OneSpecs Opticians
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:31:57 am »
Thanks jenkinhill.  Glad I'm not alone - I'll search the forum for a way to exclude VirtueMart from the Joomla cache.

phildegruchy

• Beginner
    • OneSpecs Opticians
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 16:41:46 pm »
Hi Jenkin,

Still experiencing the problem and can't find any pages in the forum where people have excluded VirtueMart from the cache.  Could you supply some links please.

Many thanks,
Phil

phildegruchy

• Beginner
    • OneSpecs Opticians
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 17:00:18 pm »
Ah ha!  Just found the following from in http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2201759

Just search all files under /browse/includes for instances of "fetch_cache" and replace it with "fetch".

That worked for me.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 00:51:08 am »
Unfortunately, if you are rev=moving VM from your cache, that really isn't going to help you with any of the store pages when it comes to speed increase.

I would look at your URLS! Caching should not do this, except if the cache believes the URL is the same for all product pages. Are you running SEF... and do all your product flypage urls end up being exactly the same?

phildegruchy

• Beginner
    • OneSpecs Opticians
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 11:19:37 am »
Hi Forrest,

Surely that action will still have some effect so that no VirtueMart modules etc. will be cached.

I am using sh404sef but my URLs are unique for each product page.  The same thing is happening for another website that I addministrate too.  OneSpecs.co.uk and thaddeusjewellers.com.

Thanks,
Phil

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 19:39:58 pm »
Absolutely this will work so that no VM modules are cached.

Hmmm, well I haven't ever seen this so I guess I'm of no help. I useing caching successfully on all my VM sites.

One last thing to consider. There are two ways of using cache in Joomla. One is a config setting, the other is a plugin. I would try one, then the other. You will find you get different results. Make srue you clear your cache during the switches!