Author Topic: Virtuemart shows wrong categories in URL  (Read 4277 times)

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
Virtuemart shows wrong categories in URL
« on: August 09, 2010, 20:39:05 pm »
Hi

I use Virtuemart 1.1.5 on joomle 1.5.20

Visit this website to see the problem: www.artlantisobjects.com

At the left is the menubar for the Virtuemartshop
The menubar follows the categorystructure of the shop.
As an example click 'Architecture'.
The category Architecture will be shown. Everything's OK until now. The shown URL is: www.artlantisobjects.com/architecture/architecture. The word architecture is shown twice in the URL. I don't know if hat is correct.
At the top of the page you see an image with lots of CDs. That is correct.
Now click one of the 2 categories on the page. Let's take 'illumination'
The categorie 'Illumination' opens......but the image with the CDs is replaced with a text ( another module) This text is meant to be shown only above the categories 'Artlantis Software and 'Artlantis Media'. If you look at the URL you see that the wrong category is shown: www.artlantisobjects.com/artlantis-media/illumination. Illumination is NOT a subcategory of artlantis-media but it is a subcategory of 'Architecture'

So the URL shows a wrong category structure and as a result the wrong modules are shown at the top of the page. Reading that text gives my clients the impression only Dutch users can buy the products on that page. That is wrong information and it costs sales.

What goes wrong? How can it be solved?

I hope it is clear.
I hope this can be solved fast.

Sjaak

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
Re: Virtuemart shows wrong categories in URL
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 21:01:31 pm »
This looks like a problem with your SEF, not VM.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:25:34 am »
That was my first reaction so before asking here the problem was handled by the support of joomsef.
Checked it:  the problem remains when joomsef is disabled.

Yes it is virtuemart causing this.

Any suggestions?

Sjaak

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 19:37:58 pm »
Why don't you turn off SEF during the troubleshooting? The SEF hides many important information essential to locate the problem.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 21:34:49 pm »
Good tip,

But I haven't got a clue how to go about 'troubleshooting'.
In my simple perception I am already troubleshooting by posting questions on forums. Getting help from real pro's. But that is not the right way to do it?

I am open for hints and tips here.

Sjaak

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 21:50:09 pm »
Posting questions in forum is not troubleshooting. But posting the url, you will expect people to visit the site and help you troubleshoot and you don't want SEF blocking their way.

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 22:27:48 pm »
Ah Ok thanks,

SEF is off now.
I hope the size of my brains (walnut) will not get in the way too much.

Sjaak

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 23:52:49 pm »
SEF seems only partly disabled. I can still see SEF links there.

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 07:42:32 am »
You where right. I still had to disable some parts of SEF.
I believe I now disabled all SEF.

Subcategories are still shown under the wrong category.

I hope you can find how to solve it.

Thanks

Sjaak

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 09:41:39 am »
I am not sure how you build your Shop Menu. Probably you are building it using Joomla Main Menu module instead of using the product category module.

In this case, Joomla will report the first menuid it finds for any vm links. In your particular case, the first menuid is Artlantis Media and so a wrong pathway/category id will be matched.

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 10:15:13 am »
Hi Joseph,

Indeed I use the main menu module to show the shop menu. Every day a chance to learn something new...I have the idea I am about to learn here.
I searched virtuemart but couldn't find a 'product category module'. Where can I find it?
Is it a module I need to install as extra extension?

Please tell me more.

Thanks for taking the time to help

Sjaak

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 11:49:16 am »
After some searching I found it. It turned out that it never was installed correctly.
I removed it and re-installed.
For the sake of troubleshooting I have enabled it.
As it is now it doesn't solve my problem. It's even worse. Now also the first level categories are showing wrong.
The module also wrecks my template.

What can you see now?

Sjaak

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 18:03:54 pm »
You have to remove all your vm menuitems in the main menu module. Not just unpublish them.

Joseph Kwan

• Advanced
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 18:06:45 pm »
Or maybe you can change the name of Artlantis Media to Virtuemart and remove the category_id associated with the menuitem.

Sjaak Boer

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 20:56:19 pm »
Joseph,

You made my day, Thank you for helping me out.

Since I noticed a significant improvement in speed after your introduction of the Virtuemart product category module I decided to get on with it.
As a result of that I needed to reorganise my category structure a bit since the product category module handles it different. No problem, what needs to be done has to be done.
After your advise to remove the mainmenu module of the shop I also removed the shopmenu totally from joomla.
Since I couldn't use the modules anymore that I had at the top of the category pages I removed them. They showed up wrong and could only be shown at the shop menu items that I just threw in the bin. I pasted that info in the category info and is shown correct now at the top of every category.

The shop got even somewhat faster. Still need to work on that but it is certainly an improvement.
Virtuemart/joomla is now showing the categories correct, where they belong.

I suppose I can now activate joomsef again.

One minor thing; if you or somebody else has a hint how to let the product category module fit my template better ..........

Thanks again

Sjaak