Author Topic: Using Joomla templates for Virtuemart?  (Read 1283 times)

dazd

Using Joomla templates for Virtuemart?
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:05:32 am »
Hey all,

Probably an overrated question, but I couldn't find it.
Will a Joomla template work with Virtuemart? My site is strictly a "shop" so would it be compatible if I used a Joomla template for Virtuemart?

Thanks!

jenkinhill

• UK Web Developer & Consultant
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
Re: Using Joomla templates for Virtuemart?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 14:13:30 pm »
Don't understand the problem. You use a Joomla template for Joomla. Without a template you could not display anything.....

You can style the VirtueMart theme to match the template if necessary.
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Unsolicited PMs/emails will be ignored.

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Currently using VirtueMart 3.8.7 10374 on Joomla 3.9.23 PHP 7.4.12

dazd

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 00:50:29 am »
Not a problem, just a question.
Will a normal template created for Joomla only, work with VM as well? Or does it have to be a Joomla/Virtuemart template? 

jenkinhill

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:12:27 am »
Of course it works. Many people have created VM sites using the standard Beez Joomla template for example. You can style the VM display to suit the Joomla template if you wish.

There can be problems using some JavaScript heavy commercial Joomla templates with VirtueMart, however, but that is because of script conflicts rather than layout/design issues.
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

meet_rayhan

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 19:57:00 pm »
Thanks for your support and Patience, Jenkin. I am a beginner and designing a website for first time through Joomla. I am planning to buy this Joomla template as version available for virtuemart is not on version 1.7. Do you think that it will be convenient to work on it with this joomla template instead of virtuemart template? I may have repeated what other users have asked but it involves money and a client that is making me more nervous as you mentioned about commercial template's scripts issues.

http://www.joomla-monster.com/jewellery/dj-jewellery-jewellery-template.html

I will appreciate your response.

jenkinhill

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:03 am »
I personally would not use that template, but that is about style choices. I see there is a J1.7 version available but you would need to confirm that it works with J2.5 and that it does not use conflicting JavaScript for menus (assuming that it includes a menu module). As for VM2 styling, I doubt if it has any built in, but VM2 layout through views and css are easy to edit if you have just a little knowledge. An alternative, similar template which does work with VM2 is on http://www.vjtemplates.com/virtuemart-2/jewelry/62-virtuemart-2-red-ruby
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK