Author Topic: Proving a Customer Agreed to Terms of Service  (Read 2391 times)

a035419

• Beginner
Proving a Customer Agreed to Terms of Service
« on: July 06, 2010, 17:00:18 pm »
I have searched through the KB and have been unable to find an answer to this question. I understand that a customer must agree to the TOS before checking out, provided that the proper options are set.

My question is how can you see when a customer agreed to the TOS? If I were asked to prove that a customer agreed to the TOS how can I prove it? Or at least show that they agreed to it on a certain date? Is this shown somewhere on the order form or the customer screen?

Thanks for the help,
Dean

ajani

Re: Proving a Customer Agreed to Terms of Service
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:06:30 am »
The customer cannot check out if they do not agree to your terms of service (that is if this set up that way). I left my terms of service on my registration page only instead of having it there and checkout as well. That is all the proof you need (the agreement is the day they bought something from your shop). The customer cannot check out of your store if they do not accept this. Hope this makes sense.

a035419

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:30:14 am »
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying. However, I am not so concerned if the customer can tell if they agreed to the terms. I want to know if I can show that a customer agreed to the terms. Would this not be saved in the database somewhere??

AH

• Global Moderator
  • VirtueMart Version: 3.4
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:56 am »
The terms of service should be on the order confirmation e-mail.
However there is no real proof that they ever read or received it. 

The customer should have had to tick the confirm agreement (if you have set the config for confirm on every order!)

This check box status is not saved with the order details in the database, so not much chance of getting it back.

You could always modify the code and database structure to save the status.
regards
A

Joomla 3.9.1
php 7.1