Author Topic: Menu item randomly point to the wrong record  (Read 3994 times)

ssilvernail

• Beginner
Menu item randomly point to the wrong record
« on: June 28, 2010, 23:22:16 pm »
I have a main menu that points that each entry points to a browse page. Menu Item #1 should point to Category #1 browse page. About 90% of the time it does though consistently when any user first visits the VM site and clicks on Menu Item #1 the page displays a flypage of Item #8. It happens every time with every type of browser I've tested.

When the user clicks on the same menu item from Item #8 the page shows Category #1 browse page as desired. The user can also browse away to any other page in the site (including the main page) and Category #1 browse page comes up as desired.

I've checked the menu entry for that Menu Item #1 and it points to the correct category (category ID #11). There are no other entries (ie. nothing in product ID, flypage or page). I also checked the record for Item #8 and it appears to be the same as any of the 15 other items I have listed (ie. the categories are set up using the same convention all the other product records use).

How can I show Category #1 and keep Item #8 from appearing? If you need a link to the store let me know.

Newbie to this forum please excuse the post if it's in the wrong area.

rb

• Advanced
Re: Menu item randomly point to the wrong record
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 00:03:20 am »
It may be that you are experiencing the multiple 'Itemid' issue.  Every Joomla menu item is given a unique "Itemid".  The best way to use VirtueMart is to assign it only one Itemid (i.e., only one menu entry).  Look at the URL when you hover over your menu - you'll probably see each VM item has a different Itemid.  This leads to the symptoms you describe.

It's usually best to have one menu item called "Shop" or "Store" or "Products", and then use a VM module to show the Categories (instead of a menu list showing the Categories). 

For more info, see Forrest's discussion (not the part about the 404/500 errors, but the part about Itemid).
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=69544.msg231044#msg231044

ssilvernail

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 21:55:54 pm »
I followed instructions on this site for setting up menus (using product ID and Category ID). Each of the links to pages that list multiple products only use a category ID, specific product pages only use product IDs.

Here's what Category 1's url looks like:
http://www.DOMAIN.com/shop/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66

Here's what item 8's url looks like:
http://www.DOMAIN.com/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I hope you can tell by looking at the URL's what's up...this is driving me crazy. Thanks for your help!!

rb

• Advanced
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 23:19:16 pm »
The first URL has

Itemid=66

The second URL has

Itemid=2

So you have at least two different Joomla Itemids assigned to VirtueMart.  It's usually best to have one menu item called "Shop" or "Store" or "Products", and then use a VM module to show the Categories (instead of a menu list showing the Categories).

ssilvernail

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 14:03:45 pm »
Thank you...That is definitely shedding some light on the issue. Now the question is how do I get one Itemid assigned to VM?

I do have one main page (homepage) for the store called shop (http://www.DOMAIN.com/shop) and assigned that as the default in the main menu.

Here's the link to our BETA: http://www.ice-pack.com/shop  Maybe you can tell more from that. The menu item in question is the first one under the DEPARTMENT menu. Each DEPARTMENT menu item should go to a landing page that shows all items in that category. From there the user can go to the individual item if they want more info or to purchase.

I appreciate you taking the time out to help with my issue, so far it's been the only one and I really like VM.

rb

• Advanced
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 15:38:25 pm »
If it were my site, I would delete all the menu items that refer to VM, then create a new menu item that goes to the VM shop.index page.  Then I would show a VM module that lists the categories (in place of the Joomla menu items that lists the categories).

ssilvernail

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 16:25:49 pm »
I think I see what you're saying... the Joomla menu and VM are in conflict? Do you have a good knowledge base article you recommend on how to create a menu in VM (vs. Joomla) and list categories? I can get out of your hair after that!

rb

• Advanced
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 17:01:30 pm »
Use a VM module to show categories such as

mod_virtuemart
mod_product_categories
mod_vm_cat_menu_specific