Author Topic: Collation  (Read 1764 times)

bekasgr

• Beginner
Collation
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:19:43 pm »
Recently I tried to use the product types and product type attributes.
This creates a table "jos_vm_product_type" with collation "utf8_general_ci" which is correct (my site is utf), but the tables for attribute (for example    "jos_vm_product_type_1") are created with collation "latin1_swedish_ci".
This causes all attributes that i enter in Greek language to appera as questionmarks.

I have faced the same problem with table collation in many other places in Joomla an VM modules and plugins. I wonder if there is a simple way to change the collation of only one table in database and also if somebody knows why are those tables created with wrong collation. Maybe this is done somewhere where I can hack and change it ...

Please help :)

The tools I have installed to view database are art adminer and ccquery, now I will also install joommyadmin. There is a tool called phoca chaninging Collation but it seems to do a BIG drastic attack to the database and I am afraid to use it ... has anyone tried it ?

rb

• Advanced
Re: Collation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:21 am »
You can change a MySQL table's collation by using phpMyAdmin or equivalent.  The command is:

ALTER TABLE jos_vm_product_type_1 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

You may also need to reset the character set for Greek.
See the MySQL manual: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-table.html

You may wish to speak to your hosting company about their default table collation values.