Author Topic: Site Performance  (Read 1624 times)

bilocan

• Beginner
Site Performance
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:52 am »
Hi,

i was debugging my joomla site and i have seen that 185 queries were executed.
i haven't installed to much components just virtuemart,joomlapack and 2 small extensions.
i have read that 30-50 queries are optimum. but i think it was for pure joomla without any components.
how many queries are optimum for a nice performance?

is there a performance quide for joomla and vm?

Thanks,
Bilal

stinga

• Contributing Developer
    • Squangle ltd
Re: Site Performance
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:59:04 am »
G'day,

You can't say that 30-50 queries are optimum that's like saying 95hp 4 cylinder engines are optimum for every single engine in the world. It does not work that way.
If you DB is optimized then it does not matter, of course less is better but if you want to move the Aircraft Carrier then a bigger engine is needed!

185 queries sounds about right.
Performance guides are exactly that a guide (if they exist), depends on how many product you have in your shop.

The question you want to ask is.
Is my site slow? Do we have a problem.

If you really want to get into it, you need to have access to mysql and start doing some tuning but don't bother unless you have a issue.
Stinga.
614869 products in 747 categories with 15749 products in 1 category.
                                             Document Complete   Fully Loaded
                Load Time First Byte Start Render   Time      Requests      Time      Requests
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

bilocan

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »
Hi stinga,

first thanks for your reply. you are right. it can not be said that 30-50 queries are optimum for each site i meant it for a pure joomla site without any extensions, components. how much extensions you have, so much queries will executed.

If you really want to get into it, you need to have access to mysql and start doing some tuning but don't bother unless you have a issue.
yes i want to do it best and fastest. i have read about mysql indexing.
is it already done in Joomla or how can i do it?

Thanks

bilocan

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:58:49 pm »
i enabled cache on mod_virtuemart_featureprod and just 13 queries were executed (after 2. load) it needs to much queries.
here are my statistics
first load of page: 185
second load of page:149
second load mod_virtuemart_featureprod cache enabled: 13

what if i enable mod_virtuemart_featureprod caching? does it have any issue?

stinga

• Contributing Developer
    • Squangle ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 14:12:08 pm »
G'day,

Caching can have it's down sides, I did look into and decided not enable it, I can't remember why now!.

Queries are a small part of the whole, you need to look at the time it takes to load the page, that is the important bit.
firebug it good for this.
You might find with caching that the query's go down but the time taken to load the page goes up. So the surfer sees a more efficient and slower site.

Why are you doing this?
Stinga.
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

Nirm

• Contributing Developer
    • Me, My Work and I
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 14:25:12 pm »
Can I suggest that you install a plugin called Page Speed. It works with Firebug. It will analyse your page(s) and provide very simple and easy solutions for optimising your site. Things like reducing HTTP requests, minifying JS and CSS, adding expiry headers on static elements like images.

I believe you will find significant performance improvements by implementing these solutions.

Invoke global cache (I am not sure of how this will affect VM queries. So far on my Joomla site there are no issues) and also system cache plugin and also GZip. Yahoo recommend PHP Flush but I am not a developer so I do not know the implications of this. You may want to use YSlow as well.
A lot of questions are answered in the VM 1.1 User Manual please read it before asking questions.
-------------------------------------
http://www.nirmoysomaia.com

bilocan

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 14:32:01 pm »
You might find with caching that the query's go down but the time taken to load the page goes up. So the surfer sees a more efficient and slower site.
Why are you doing this?

i thought when the queries go down the time to load would go down too.
is that wrong?

bilocan

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 14:42:09 pm »
thanks Nirm i have installed Page Speed i will try it now

stinga

• Contributing Developer
    • Squangle ltd
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 16:22:33 pm »
they might, but that is not a given, you would need to test.
You can probably say less queries = less time but you would to check it out to make sure.

In the world of databases static files and caching nothing is static and you can only make changes and test.

That's why good DBAs and developers are hard to find and well paid for what they do!
Stinga.