Author Topic: Unique product numbering  (Read 2049 times)

callumgilhooly

• Beginner
Unique product numbering
« on: March 01, 2010, 23:15:37 pm »
Hi All,

I have a friend who wants to sell bottles of wine online. All pretty straightforward except they want to assign a unique serial number to each bottle that will be etched onto the label (they will only be selling a small quantity of each type of wine)

They are looking for the online system to be able to manage the number allocation (all bottles will be sold online)

Now the question, can Virtuemart do this or am I going to have to create this functionality? I've looked around the forums and extensions but am not totally sure what I need to be searching for...

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Callum

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Re: Unique product numbering
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 23:31:24 pm »
A few things to understand.

1. Is there a pre-set range of numbers to be assigned to each wine type? In other words:

Red Wines -> Cabernet Franc (000-444)
Red Wines -> Petite Sirah (550-650)
White Wines -> Pinot Gris (800-955)

2. What is the ultimate purpose of this? Essentially there is no funciton I am aware of that does this for you, so the question naturally becomes why do you need this? What is the objective. Essentially, this is like creating a unique product for each bottle (sku), though I understand this is not what you want.

callumgilhooly

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 23:52:23 pm »
Hi Forrest,

Thanks for your reply.

For point 1 you are correct. They aren't selling many varieties of wine and in small quantities so they intend to hand mark each bottle just how you have described.

As to why, there are two reasons they have mentioned, 1, They want to portray themselves as a 'boutique' vineyard with their wine coming from small batches and believe that people will appreciate that they have a bottle from a limited stock (i.e."this is bottle 234 from 500") and 2, they want to use it as a record should they ever need to recall any bottles.

You are also right in that creating a unique product for each bottle is almost what is required but to have that displayed as one 'product' in the frontend. That's what's throwing me.

Thanks again for responding.

Callum

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 00:11:37 am »
An interesting way to handle this is to leverage the STOCK option in VM. This would only work if they do not want to actually need/want track stock in their store in the traditional manner.

So two ways I see it working.

1. Don;t use my stock idea, and do it all yourself. Just create a new field or two in the jos_vm_product field, and adjust the admin and template docs accordingly to edit/show the fields, and add a counter to increment the number as orders are made.

-OR-

2. Use the STOCK option and have it work backwards! This would mean you would have to add less custom code. So, relating to my previous example:
Red Wines -> Cabernet Franc (000-444) - Set stock to 444
Red Wines -> Petite Sirah (550-650) - Set stock to 650
White Wines -> Pinot Gris (800-955) - Set stock to 955

The stock counter works backwards, so they would have to disable or remove the product manually, say after Petite Sirah reached a stock level of 550 (the lowest item number). And hence they would really be shipping the HIGHEST product number first, and work down to the lowest number.

In doing this, you can now just call out the stock number in your template, and likewise, pass that variable to cart and order pages. Just a thought anyways, though a bit cluegy.

callumgilhooly

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 00:36:21 am »
Thanks Forrest. I really appreciate you taking the time to come up with that solution.

I think using the stock level is the way forward. Didn't even think of that. Brilliant.

Thanks again for your time

Callum

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 00:49:45 am »
NP. Good luck, and if it works, please mark this post solved :)