News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Here's how to get a UPS Access Key

Started by rowby, February 09, 2010, 22:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowby

Below is the current procedure, from UPS support on getting UPS Access Key for Virtuemart. After much run-around via UPS customer support I received the below and it enabled me to get a UPS accesds code.  To make this go smoothly make sure you (or your client) has already signed up for a UPS account.

-----------------  Email from UPS Tech Support below:

Dear Rowby,

Thank you for your inquiry. The end user need to request the Access Key on UPS.com by following the instructions I am providing below:

To request a UPS Developer's Kit Access Key, please follow these steps:

Please note: If you have already registered for My UPS.com, go to step 5 after you have logged in with your user ID and password. However, for security, I recommend you create a new user ID and password for use with UPS Developer APIs.

1. Browse to https://www.ups.com/upsdeveloperkit.

2. Click on the "Register" link inside the "How to Get Started" section.

3. In the "Submit Your UPS Registration Information" box, enter your name, e-mail address, User ID and password then click on the [Next] button.

4. Complete the "UPS Registration" window then click on the [Next] button.

5. On the "Thank You!" screen, click on the [Next] button.

6. Click on the "Request an access key" link in the "How to Get Started" section.

7. Complete the "Secondary Contact Information" and the click on [Request Access Key].

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.
Join me in Outer Space at:
http://www.rowbyville.com

waelsayed

Hello,
Additional registration information part stopped me because I have not a UPS account!
I think you must have a valid UPS Account to get a UPS Developer's Access Key.

rowby

Yes you do.  There is a point in getting the access key where it asks you for your UPS account.  So get it first.  It's not enough just to sign up for UPS online.  In other words, you need more than a user name and password.  You need to get an account number.   It doesn't cost anything. 

While you can create a username when you sign up for UPS, the account number would be given to you.  In my client's case it was a combination of upper case letters and numbers   Something like this : A32E54  (I modified the actual account number for security reasons. :)

Call UPS customer service, after creating the usual UPS username and password and ask them the steps to getting a UPS account number.   

...Rowby
Join me in Outer Space at:
http://www.rowbyville.com

chuckscroggs

This is only the first step.

Now can someone help fill in the blanks of what to do next.

UPS WEBSITE:::::::

Request Production Access - Step 1

Please choose one or more APIs and select Next to continue. You will be required to enter additional information for the APIs you select on the next page.
{legend text}

Request Production Access for Access Key:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
UPS Account Number:
    xxxxxx

Select APIs:
       Address Validation - Street Level
       Locator - Package
       Pickup - Ground Freight
       Pickup - Package
       Rating - Ground Freight
       Shipping - Ground Freight
       Shipping - Package

lowmips

You'll want this API access:
Shipping - Package
Rating - Package
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

chuckscroggs

Thank you so much. That helped me get to the next road block for me.

We received an email from UPS:

QuoteDear Customer,
Thank you for your Shipping Production Access request. In order for UPS to process your production request, you need to provide the certification files outlined in the latest Developer's guide (Dated June 17,2010). The Developer guide can be downloaded from https://www.ups.com/upsdeveloperkit. Please see section 1.12 (Customer Integration Environment for Shipping-Package XML) for details. Once we receive your information we will proceed with the certification and production access request.

You can still access the CIE (Customer Integration Environment) Server to complete your testing.

Note: If your request included multiple tools, each will be answered separately

UPS

After looking into the PDF they supplied (which I have attached) I am at a loss again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some days I feel so helpless with these things.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

lowmips

Email UPS.  Tell them you are not developing a module. You are using an existing solution and simply need production access keys. 

:)

Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

YourHoop

The API Access you need to request is not for Shipping - Package, request access for Rating - Package https://www.ups.com/upsdeveloperkit/requestproductionAccessKeyContinue?loc=en_USwhich covers small packages and large, everything less than a truckload. Get that and you'll be good to go!

chuckscroggs

Thanks for the info YourHoop.

I am in an email battle with UPS now. Why are they making it so hard? Do other people have this much trouble with this? I could just throw a chair through the wall right now!

If we get this working I will post a step by step that actually takes someone all the way through the process so others don't get screwed. (anger towards UPS)

chuckscroggs

OK, when you receive the API it already has production where it is needed for the Virtuemart UPS shipping module.

The shipping module only works when there is a weight associated with each product.

Problem Solved!