Author Topic: Can a catalogue-only site still offer free but protected downloads?  (Read 3051 times)

Watto

• Beginner
Hi guys,

The website I'm working on is purely a catalogue site, but the director wants to be able to offer manuals for the products which are online and free, but protected, preferably by a system like Virtuemart's Downloads (ie you order it, and get a download id, etc).

Is this possible somehow?  I tried to use Downloads, but the link doesn't show up in the product details, which I'm assuming is because the site is catalogue-only?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I'm kind of pushed for time, here  :-[

Watto

• Beginner
Re: Can a catalogue-only site still offer free but protected downloads?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:36:47 am »
Bump!  Is this not possible? :)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:54:43 am »
Not sure? You probably can do this with easy using a hack, but whether it is an option by default, I'm not sure.

A way to potentially get around this is to turn off the product catalog option, and make sure your price fields are EMPTY.

Using this template change here you can get rid of the "Call for Pricing" Link and replace it with whatever you want.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=65510.msg219904#msg219904

You can assign the downloads to a price of 0.00 which would make them FREE. Since you have turned off the catalog feature, it now works like a store, so users could add the downloads to cart, register, and "checkout" to get the download link.

Watto

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:44:05 am »
Ok, that sounds pretty cool, thanks Forrest!  I'll give it go and report back :)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 19:27:34 pm »
Look forward to your response.