News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Order Confirmation Emails are being sent out before payment and when cancelled

Started by amityweb, October 05, 2010, 18:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amityweb

Hi

There seems to be various threads on this issue but I cannot find a solution to this problem in any of them.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Looks like it is well known - VM sends an order confirmation email to the customer before they have even paid. What should happen is that this email is sent after payment, nothing should be sent to anyone until payment is made (unless we have a payment option for offline, telephone, cheque or something that does allow checkout completion without paying).

Thanks

amityweb

I notice I get a status change email after payment has been made. So it looks like what is required is:-

1) Stop sending the first order email

2) Change the status change email to confirm their order with all order details

I found the first one in another thread, so does anyone know what to change for the second one?

(Cant believe this issue goes back to 2006 and still exists)

amityweb

I found this patch which does the trick:
http://www.b-planet.com/VirtueMart/paypal-patch.html

I think this really needs fixing in Virtuemart. I spent a long time building a customer site only to discover this at the end at texting stage. I thought I must have chosen the wrong cart solution and would have to build it all again in Zencart, but the above patch seems to work thankfully. So I honestly think the Virtuemart process needs fixing to work like all other ecommerce sites.

Thanks

aussieute

The problem I have is that I don't use PayPal and so that patch is useless.

I was using the MIGS Mastercard module and it worked as it should.
No pay no emails
Didn't know this was an issue

Now using another gateway and every order needs to be checked in VM before packing >:(

Our system is set up to automatically print orders in the warehouse when the email comes in. We packed and sent a few orders where the card was declined  ::)

So I'm thinking this is a gateway module issue not a VM issue?
Am I wrong here?

AH

It depends on what you want to achieve.

My client does not mind the e-mail going out as it allows him to see what/who has abandoned the payment and do something proactive to help get the sale.

And with PayPal that appears to be quiet a few customers!!

So his status sequence is this:-

e-mail with order and - Pending payment confirmation message
Status update:- Payment confirmed
This is either based on the PayPal IPN or via a manual update after my client has taken payment via PDQ terminal.
Status update:- Shipped

For orders that have not received a confirmed payment if the order value is significant, they will contact the customer directly to see what the issue was. 80% of the time they get the order.

If the order was not held until final confirmation, they would lose this business and they would be VERY unhappy if this became the only option.

Suffice to say that if anything were to change both methods should be supported. NOT just the one that suits your particular needs for a particular client.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0