Author Topic: Stock Control  (Read 4164 times)

marsy1969

• Beginner
Stock Control
« on: October 24, 2009, 20:23:59 pm »
I Have a question about stock control. If I set a product to have 20 in stock, but then try to order 21 or more, I just get a 'notify me' message. But there are still 20 available to purchase. Why doesn't VM tell the customer that they can have 20 but no more? Or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks.

deemee3

• Beginner
Re: Stock Control
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 18:33:00 pm »
This annoys me too. I don't think you're missing a setting though. The solution is probably in changing the text content of the "notify me" message, maybe with something like: "Sorry, the quantity you chose is greater than the actual stock level; you may want to browse back and choose a smaller quantity. If you still want your initial quantity choice, click on the "notify me" and we'll contact you as soon as the stock level matches your desired quantity."

Question now of finding where the original text is located...  ???

Scar

• J-lux
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 23:02:36 pm »
All these kind of texts are in administrator/components/com_virtuemart/languages

deemee3

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 00:14:02 am »
Thanks Scar, found that.

In this case the "notify me" message is located in:

administrator/components/com_virtuemart/languages/shop/english.php line 26

The problem is that this message is suitable for a product that is just out of stock from the start; in fact, in an out-of-stock product flypage the Add to Cart button is replaced by a Notify Me button that leads you to that message.
Besides the fact this message shouldn't end asking you for your email if you're logged in, the message itself is not suitable in case the product is in stock but you just exceeded the available quantity when ordering.

What puzzles me is that in the following file:

administrator/components/com_virtuemart/languages/common/english.php

you find this sentence in line 53: 'PHPSHOP_CART_QUANTITY_EXCEEDED' => 'The selected quantity exceeds quantity available in stock.',

I can only suppose it was written for our precise case, but that there's a bug somewhere that calls the wrong sentence...

If someone could help, it would be great!!

:)  

Scar

• J-lux
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 00:19:26 am »

deemee3

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 00:40:22 am »
Thanks Scar, I was precisely looking at it when you replied.

Doesn't work for me though. I must miss something because it still sends me the wrong sentence. I understand you moved "return false" from line 288 to 290; is there something else?

(like you I'm up-to-date with J! and VM, but not on a local server)

:)

Scar

• J-lux
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 17:43:09 pm »
It should be pretty easy to make VM tell the customer how many is left in stock, I dont have the time right now but I will try to remember and get back to you about this.

deemee, what version are you running? 1.1.4?

deemee3

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 18:08:34 pm »
Thanks! Yes, VM 1.1.4 / J! 1.5.14 / PhP 5.2.9

I appreciate your time. The issue though is the message that is been shown; in the product page the stock level is correct. It's just that if you exceed this level when ordering, it should show the right message, i.e. 'The selected quantity exceeds quantity available in stock.' It shows the other one instead...

As I said above, I did modify the ps_cart.php file as you indicated in the other topic, but with no result... Maybe a template thing (Mynxx from RocketTheme)

Thanks again, looking forward to read from you.

;-)

joekaru

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 21:17:58 pm »
Hello Scar, hello deemee3
did you find a solution for this problem. I'm really interested in it.

Thanks, hope to hear from you

Joomla 1.5.14 / VM 1.1.4