Author Topic: How do I display subcategories when Category link is clicked?  (Read 1755 times)

eadaoin

• Beginner
How do I display subcategories when Category link is clicked?
« on: November 02, 2009, 13:21:41 pm »
I have a number of main categories containing subcategories.
Eg.
Main category: Greetings cards
Subcategories: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Thank You, Get Well Soon, Congratulations

There are products in all the subcategories, but not in the main category. Its only function is to contain the subcategories.

When I click the 'Greetings Cards' link in the category menu, I would like the page to display links to the subcategories, so users can select which subcategory to view. At the moment, all I get is the Category title, and an empty page, as there are no products to display.

I'm sorry if this is already answered, I have searched with no success.

TIA

markrisch

• Beginner
Re: How do I display subcategories when Category link is clicked?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:35:02 am »
Do you have your category display type set to "link list" in the module parameters? I'd play around with these and the jscook options and see if you can get what you like.

eadaoin

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:38:02 pm »
Thanks, markrisch.

I do have it set to link list, and the menu itself opens properly and displays the subcategories.

But it's in the main content area that I would like to see a list of subcategory links. As there are no products in the main categories, only sub-categories, the main content area is blank until you click a subcategory link in the menu. So, it would be easy for visitors to think the category is empty, and not notice the sub-categories in the expanded menu. Plus you have a pointless empty page...

This happens regardless of which menu settings are selected.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated. Even if, particularly if, I've just missed something really obvious:)

markrisch

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:17:23 am »
Well not sure what your products are how you're selling, but on my site, if I have a product in a sub category or a sub-sub category it's also in the parent categories and the parent's parent category, etc. That way when they pick the level one category the see everything and then they have the option to drill down and "refine their search" by clicking on the child categories. You may not want to do this.

Right now, when I click on a category, links for it's prodgeny  category(s) show across the top of the product listings even if there are no products in the category (this sounds like what you are trying to accomplish). I'd actually like to find a way to turn this off! Sounds like I am having kind of the inverse issue that you are having - like you want what I have and vice versa.

I hope you solve your issue. perhps you could look at the browse templates if you wanted to dig in a bit.

Sorry I can't help you.