Author Topic: Virtuemart performance issue with many categories?  (Read 9296 times)

adi64

• Beginner
Virtuemart performance issue with many categories?
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
hi!

my site, www.geozone.ch is based on joomla 1.5.10 and virtuemart 1.1.3 with the mynxx template.
It's response time is (according firebug) 4.57 sec in the present configuration. I have currently disabled a category that holds another 800 subcategories and roughly 2000 products. If I enable the whole lot, the site becomes unbearably slow (20.38 sec according firebug).
Gzip is enabled, configuration seems ok, according my host (www.one.com).
I'm absolutely lost! what can I do to optimize my response time? actually I need more than just optimization it seems...

Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

here's my diagnostic information:

Edited by BanquetTables.pro You need to look into Joomla Security. You just posted some info that isnt good.

adi64

• Beginner
Re: Virtuemart performance issue with many categories?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 13:46:00 pm »
How does Virtuemart work?
when I deactivate the category ("Zubehör", which means "accessories" in english) which contains itself most of the sub-categories and over 80% of the products, the front page loading time - according firebug - is between 4 and 5 seconds (interestingly, for  the sake of comparison, there is the google-analytics feature that takes slightly over 200 ms).
Once I switch on the category "Zubehör", front page loading time gets up to 18 to 20 sec. (and the google-analytics take in itself 7 sec).

Why is it that it takes so much longer to load, as I only add one more field? why does it load ALL that is behinf also? isn't there a way to optimize?

I have already tried switching off legacy, didn't improve a bit.
I have switched off the debug plugin, to no avail either.
I have installed the System-RokGZipper component, nothing much did improve either...
I have optimized the database tables, that didn't change a thing...
Anyone has an idea, or can explain to me the logic and structure behind joomla-virtuemart, so that I have a chance to drastically improve my sites' performance?

Interestingly, in all previous posts, I could never find an answer, the treads ended suddenly, without anything being solved...

thanks in advance

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 14:13:33 pm »
its more than likely the product scroller thats slowing down the site.

J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)

adi64

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 14:28:19 pm »
it can be a factor in slowing down the system. nevertheless, if you're ready to check again, I will enable the largest category (Zubehör) and you will see that it gets immediately so slow, that the cause must be the addition of nearly 2000 products.
Why does it load so many items that are not even on display? the frontpage remains almost identical, only one category is added in the left category panel. behind this last category are roughly 800 sub-categories and nearly 2000 products. I don't understand...

adi64

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 15:39:34 pm »
I go on my almost monologue...

I had my site analyzed by the website analyzer: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/index.html

The first and most important warning derives from "total objects".

without my large category, I get the following warning: "Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 240 which by their number will dominate web page delay"
it takes 3.5 to 5 seconds to load

including my largest category, I get the following message: "Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 247 which by their number will dominate web page delay"
it takes 14 to 16 sec to load.

I have disabled the scroller, which resulted in a very small gain... I still need to find some drastic improvement!

As mentionned, any help is warmly welcomed...

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 16:23:59 pm »
This is your problem

13    JavaScript File   209.0K

11   Stylesheet File   39.0K

64   CSS Image   184.0K

All those have to be loaded before the page will render.

Your page is 944K   
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2

adi64

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 16:36:07 pm »
thanks for your answer.
unfortunately as I'm no expert, could you please explain to me how this should be done?

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 17:08:34 pm »
What I did with my site is combined the CSS files for the template, and reduced background images to a minimal amount.

You should talk with the people that made your template, OR post on their forums. The template is the problem.

Your CSS files are converted to PHP files. I dont know why either. Many people say this is not good, but some people say it is.

J3.9+ VM 3.4.2

adi64

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 17:18:35 pm »
thanks. my template provider is rocket theme. I will check with them and post here when there is a positive development

xperidev

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:27:08 am »
Hi there,

Did you find a resolution to your problem ?

I'm using the same template and have a massive amount of categories which slows down the entire site.

Greetz,
Bert

have2die2live

• Beginner
    • Fashion Modeling College
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 07:16:59 am »
Hi there, I'm have the same issue on the mynxx template as well...

franzpeter

• 3rd party VirtueMart Developer
    • 2in1-online | Software, Mac, PC, Netzwerk, Drucker, Pad, Display
  • VirtueMart Version: Virtuemart 3.2.6
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:40:52 am »
I have a lot of categories and a lot of products in my virtuemart catalog (more than 16 000 products). A virtuemart problem is if you have a deactived main category with activated subcategories or activated sub-sub-categories with deactivated sub categories. But that does not seem to be the problem on your page.
On my page there was a javascript accordion for categories and that did not work very well with a lot of categories (mynxx does use a accordion for the categories too). One possibility is to not use javascript accordion. So the vm standard category module should work fine. Those javascripts may be fine if you have two or three categories with a few subcategories, but not with a large amount of subcategories. And may look nice to use javascript accordion but my final decision was that speed is more important for customers. Most of the customers leave a slow loading page.