Author Topic: VirtueMart PAID Support System  (Read 3671 times)

wicked

• Beginner
VirtueMart PAID Support System
« on: July 20, 2009, 16:01:11 pm »
Having only been using VirtueMart for a couple of months, it has proven impossible to get support through this forum and looking at many of the support requests, many of them seem to go unanswered.

Now I understand that VirtueMart is FREE, and THANK YOU for that, but how about providing true, timely SUPPORT and I for one will happily pay for it.

I switched from using XCART which had an excellent support structure, where a user would buy support points, and get professional support when needed, it was fantastic.

This would be a huge benefit to this community of users, and ultimately it would help fund the time and effort the developers of VirtueMart have clearly put in thus far, and certainly help to encourage further development.

Am I alone in wanting this or are others willing to voice support for this idea?

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
Re: VirtueMart PAID Support System
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 19:15:27 pm »
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)

revive

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 14:13:04 pm »
@BanquetTables.pro,

are you really offering vm-expert.com services as a VM paid support system, here on the VM forum? Just a couple months ago when I visited the site it was still showing 'Lorem Ipsum' place holder data.. and 39 euros to retrieve a lost password?? Come on.. are you serious :D There's still 'Helio' (that's the TEMPLATE used for the site) demo data and the Extension Shop still has Lorem Ipsum content.. is this for real???

besides, without knowing the fate of VM for Joomla 1.6 and beyond.. who in their right mind would invest in long term support for VM unless we know it's gonna be around. It's obvious that there are minimal developers working on it, 3 or 4 from the last count I recall, but what are they doing to ACTIVELY recruit more developers to take VM to the next level ???? Any insight into this??

wicked

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 14:23:01 pm »
I have to say, that after using the services of these guys, I can only recommend them. I have been dealing with Thomas and he has supplied me with answers I needed in a timely manner, and has done more for our store in the first couple of days that I could get out of the forums in three months. And I am happy to have paid for their services......

revive

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 14:56:33 pm »
@wicked,
great to hear they'll legit, as there seems to be too many fly-by-night 'experts' for both Joomla and Vm these days.. that's def. great news. As Team Lead for a Design and Development Co., one that does a lot of custom extensions for Joomla and custom VM work, I can't tell you how many 'experts' we end of cleaning up after.

My main point in responding to that recommendation was my initial impression for this thread was regarding a 'Official' Paid VM support service.. not that of consultants and the like.. correct?

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 14:58:00 pm »
@BanquetTables.pro,

are you really offering vm-expert.com services as a VM paid support system, here on the VM forum? Just a couple months ago when I visited the site it was still showing 'Lorem Ipsum' place holder data.. and 39 euros to retrieve a lost password?? Come on.. are you serious :D There's still 'Helio' (that's the TEMPLATE used for the site) demo data and the Extension Shop still has Lorem Ipsum content.. is this for real???

besides, without knowing the fate of VM for Joomla 1.6 and beyond.. who in their right mind would invest in long term support for VM unless we know it's gonna be around. It's obvious that there are minimal developers working on it, 3 or 4 from the last count I recall, but what are they doing to ACTIVELY recruit more developers to take VM to the next level ???? Any insight into this??

Vmart will be in 1.6 have faith

We are one of the top extensions ;D
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)

revive

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 15:13:08 pm »
Yes, I know VM is one of the top extensions.. but, while we're being honest.. the code base is dated, the templating system needs improvement and there are still serious bugs lingering unattended.. what is the roadmap for VM into J1.6 ? New features? etc..

MikeUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:23:55 am »
@ revive, with all due respect, that's not a fair summary of Virtuemart at all.

Open-source is what it is. There will never be a 'final' version.  Every open-source product's forum has the same comments about it, mostly because those people have missed the point about what open-source is. But most comments I've seen from people that have a lot of experience with a number of packages (including me) do not say the VM code is dated or buggy when comparing to the other major open-source e-commerce projects.

As a developer, I'm sure we both benefit from these open-source projects, especially financially, and if we are honest about what we do, making it , so called 'up-to-date', working the way our clients need it, and bug free in relation to what our clients need, is our responsibility.
Get answers faster:

I can build your online shop, setup or customize Virtuemart or help your existing shop maximize its potential. Email / PM for info

revive

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:55:26 am »
@MikeUK,

I appreciate your reply and your perspective, and even though I disagree with you, you're surely as entitled to an opinion as I am.

My team and I completely understand what open-source is about, as evidenced by the many free contributions we make to any project we're utilize, let alone the many Joomla extensions we've developed for the community.

We also gladly support the 'free' projects we use as a way to thank them for their support and continued efforts.. VM being the one exception.

And, although you may very well disagree with me on this - the fact that this is the FIRST response that I've gotten from a VM Team Member for the last few months and it has nothing to do with solving any problem, even though I've posted more than half a dozen threads for various issues.. (some relating to the quality of coding I referred to before: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=57910.msg189592#msg189592) should speak of the lack of support we experience, as do many VM users.

I personally think, as does the rest of the developers I know working with VM, that the code base is both disorganized and out-dated - just my opinion. We work with MANY open source projects, and VM happens to be the one we consistently experience poor support for.

I think VM is a great extension and I'm all for seeing it improve. Which is why if you look at my past posts you'll quickly see me posting suggestions or assistance any time I can offer it.

So, after all of that.. let me close in saying that I truly believe this year will either be the making or breaking of VM. It will either be a time when developers get together and make this a truly great solution for Joomla.. or it will die by the way side as other projects quickly make ground where virtuemart lacks. I see that even Mike Calif has joined another ecommerce project,. so, obviously even some VM members recognize this fact. I hope to see VM flourish. But, if it does not, don't blame the users.. for it will be the lack of support and continued development and growth that are to blame.

MikeUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 12:24:01 pm »
Of course, we are all entitled to our opinions. I would never assume mine was the only one. And I appreciate your in-depth response (and I have no idea how you wrote that so quickly!). I am actually not the best VM team member. I have done virtually nothing to help fix bugs, due to lack of time. I don't think it matters who responds. I think a lot of posters here put too much emphasis on developers responding. If I was a VM develoepr, I wouldn't have time to write in the forums.

I guess I have a different experience to you. From the other e-commerce projects I've seen, I would say I have seen a lot less VM  'out-dated', 'buggy' coding comments than for some other popular projects. But all to their own.

One thing I do notice about VM, is that there are a lot more questions than answers, a lot more requests than solutions / improvements. For that we can only say the community is responsible. I notice the same with Joomla. I think this is just due to its popularity, and being the almost CMS 'standard'.

One thing I will say about the future. I do believe VM is in a great position. Joomla is getting more popular, and VM is a top extension, and THE ecommerce extension. Magento, for example, has a different market, much as OsCommerce / ZenCart did, by being non-CMS connected. Therefore these will never replace that ability to have a fully featured CMS with an extensive ecommerce system. At present, only Drupal or Wordpress extensions could compete there.

Get answers faster:

I can build your online shop, setup or customize Virtuemart or help your existing shop maximize its potential. Email / PM for info