Author Topic: No VM product images in Google Image Search  (Read 22042 times)

Maverix

• Beginner
    • Onlineshop
No VM product images in Google Image Search
« on: July 23, 2009, 14:57:09 pm »
Hi guys,

yesterday I tried to find a product image from my onlineshop in Google Image Search and had to recognize that not even 1 image is listed.  :o

Why are images from other shop systems found and from VM not?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
Re: No VM product images in Google Image Search
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 17:52:58 pm »
the images are in the components folder, and the components folder is blocked in your robots.txt. I wouldn't recommend changing it either

J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)

Maverix

• Beginner
    • Onlineshop
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:33:10 am »
Thx

That's no good news.

Greetings

locoman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:38:55 am »
hello,

in Admin-Components-Com_virtuemart you find the file virtuemart.cfg.php

in there you have 3 links like this

... 'components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/' ...
i just move my directory shop_image to images from the root folder and replace this links with

.... 'images/shop_image/' ....

so the folder with my shop images is now no more under the restricted folder.

one think i do not know and want some clarifications from you guys out there.

we all use this empty index.html files so a user is not able to see the content/files from/within a folder. he will see a white page.

is that the same for search engines? are they able to index the files in these directory's or not?

locoman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:26:39 pm »
there is a lot more to do

if you have putty acces to your server or another tool to search in files,
do a search in all your files from the server (not in cache filse. you can just delete them. they wil regenerate after deleted) 

you will find several instanses of " components/com_virtuemart/shop_image "

example in language files, in payment files, virtuemart sql ....

replace overall with the new url ( images/shop_image )

than over phpmyadmin go to your database and run

http://www.invitatielanunta.ro/

in tabel jos_vm_product_files (only if it is no new installation and you allready have products:
Code: [Select]
update jos_vm_product_files set file_url = replace(file_url, 'http://www.YOURURL.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image', 'http://www.YOURURL.com/images/shop_image');

Replace YOURURL with your site

and do another replacement

update jos_vm_product_files set file_name = replace(file_name, '/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image', '/images/shop_image');

be carefully at the line
define( 'IMAGEPATH', $mosConfig_absolute_path.'/images/shop_image/' );
 in virtumart.cfg.php . the slash "/" before is really needed! the other 2 line have no slash before.

www.invitatielanunta.ro is my site where i do complete this!

locoman

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 15:25:57 pm »
update jos_vm_product_files set file_name = replace(file_name, '/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image', '/images/shop_image');
jos_vm_product_files - can be replaced by any table name from wich you want to replace something
 file_name is the field in the table that you want to have changed and can also be replaced by any other field name so you can do other changes too.

i had the problem that i have used letters with from romania in product name as adding a new product îîîțțțșșșââââăăă
if a filename allready exist, virtuemart takes it and change the name. it take the name from your product, but surprize! it replaced charakters it do not know with ”_” so i have someting like Invita__ii_...jpg instead of Invitatii_...jpg.

now while i made my shop_images folder searchable by google and co, we also need a god name for the files.

i found this script
find . -name 'Invita__ii_de_nu*.*' | while read file;
do
target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/Invita__ii_de_nu/Invitatii_de_nunta/g'`;
echo "Renaming '$file' to '$target'";
mv "$file" "$target";
done;

it find any files that contain the begining name Invita__ii_de_nu and replace this part with Invitatii_de_nunta.
the part *.* tells that the name can continue and after the point it can be any file type. to search only for jpg insert *.jpg.

now i rename all of my images with the part i want to add. the script do not give automaticaly new names if 2 files will have the same name. but virtuemart insert automaticaly a number in the filename that i left untouched.

in the database in the table jos_vm_product i change the filenames for the thumns and full images too by replace the example mysql command the table name and field names and the desired filename.

locoman

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 16:13:32 pm »
this is another site that has been now indexed by google

try
http://images.google.ro/images?q=site%3Awhitewedding.ro&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ro:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=ro&tab=wi

than you will see all  my images.

locoman

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:31:43 am »
in virtuemart

/admin/components/com_virtuemart

there are 2 config files

virtuemart.cfg.php - the actual one

and
virtuemart.cfg-dist.php - the one that the system read on every update of the configuration if you cehange something over the backend.

you must replace the links also in this cfg-dist.php to ensure if you later change something over the backend that your new saved virtuemart.cfg.php will have the links correctly and do not have to change them manualy again.

i have see that no one reply anymore to this topic, i think it was usefull for many of you out there. so please let me know with a big thanks :)

mikeboon

• Beginner
    • Kinderenkoning
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 22:09:37 pm »
Looks "very" usefull but I don't dare to try this out on my live site. Afraid of breaking things, and also sensible for the next upgrade of VM.

Can't we just open the components directory to the robots.txt file. Or just the components/com_virtuemart/shop_image directory?

blans

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 16:13:57 pm »
I'm very interested in this solution but I have to agree with Mike that it looks pretty intimidating to change so much in the code.

However I agree this is the best way to SEO VM! Joomla and VM are great components but they lack heavily in Search Engine Optimization!

The product images are for many stores what people search for and not having them in Google is not an option.

Please keep this post alive and updated with more ideas and feedback! ;D
Multilingual VM Webshop
Joomla 1.5.26
VM 1.1.9
Joomfish 2.1.7
Artio JoomSEF 3.8.2
CSVi VM 3.8.1

VM2 has the power of Magento and the usability of Opencart. I just can't get it to do what I managed to do with VM1 for so long...

stinga

• Contributing Developer
    • Squangle ltd
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 16:20:52 pm »
I just removed the line from robots.txt
Stinga.
614869 products in 747 categories with 15749 products in 1 category.
                                             Document Complete   Fully Loaded
                Load Time First Byte Start Render   Time      Requests      Time      Requests
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

blans

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 16:27:34 pm »
I was thinking about deleting the robots line too. And I would be very interested to know why is could be dangerous to do that.

Remains the md5 hash issue. Don't you want to tackle that too Stinga? I would even take it further by having multilingual images for the different languages we have... But that's a lot of work :(
Multilingual VM Webshop
Joomla 1.5.26
VM 1.1.9
Joomfish 2.1.7
Artio JoomSEF 3.8.2
CSVi VM 3.8.1

VM2 has the power of Magento and the usability of Opencart. I just can't get it to do what I managed to do with VM1 for so long...

stinga

• Contributing Developer
    • Squangle ltd
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 16:36:13 pm »
G'day,

What is the md5 hash issue?
Stinga.
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

blans

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 20:45:45 pm »
Hé Stinga,

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I was told that the strange code that VM puts behind the name is a md5 code or something.

A think a good SEO friendly website should have: bliddyspampredator-soccerboots.jpg and bliddyspampredator-soccerboots_thumb.jpg and not bliddyspampredator4b7a4c8a61e27.jpg etc...

That's what I mean.

Multilingual VM Webshop
Joomla 1.5.26
VM 1.1.9
Joomfish 2.1.7
Artio JoomSEF 3.8.2
CSVi VM 3.8.1

stinga

• Contributing Developer
    • Squangle ltd
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 20:51:29 pm »
Yes, I realiased that after I posted.
We don't have that problem because we don't use the shop to load product very often.
I wrote a perl program to do it from the unix prompt.

It would probably be better if it took the name from the product or description, the reason an md5 hash is used is to make it unique.
I discovered the hard what happens if you don't! :-)
Stinga.