Author Topic: When Virtuemart 2.0  (Read 3927 times)

dorjano

• Beginner
When Virtuemart 2.0
« on: June 07, 2009, 18:19:35 pm »
I'm a bit frustrated. Usually when I decide to use one package over another I take in consideration the development and future releases. And here comes my problem. I can see no future in VM. Although I can see a lot of hacks, makeovers, custom codes and hacks again...
Since the searching does not provide any useful information I'm posting an open question to the community.

What's going on with Virtuemart?

I know, I know this is an opensource project, basically meaning that is done on a time availability and volunteer basis. But like it is with more and more OS projects there should be a solid DEV background payed to do their job like MAGENTO.
This could give a solid foundation for a project and provides bread and milk for developers. On the other side a a good foundation to establish a business on VM.

I do have a few e-stores based on VM but it's quite difficult to maintain them since I have to constantly check the J! to VM! to MyOwnExtensions compatibility.

Please could someone close to DEV answer to this simple question? I'm sure that VM has a very large userbase and if this is just a matter of money we could provide some!

Regards,
Dorjano

aravot

• Peter
    • VirtueMart Extensions
Re: When Virtuemart 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 23:46:49 pm »
I feel you, deciding an application over another takes in lots of consideration, an application that seems to have a bright feature now might not have in few months and vice-versa.

You answered you own question, it is a free product (for clarification open-source doesn’t mean free) and is worked on base on developers available time, it is difficult to comment on future development as not only for us for everyone it is almost impossible to predict the future, few months ago we had 6 to 7 involved developers at the time of writing this we are down to 3 to 4 , I know everyone wants an answer so do I all I can say is we haven’t abandon VirtueMart it is progressing but not in a speed that everyone wants.

It seems now days in every ecart forum there is talk of Magento, I agree it is a well build product but users fail to comprehend that Magento is a product of commercial company, they have paid developers that work on Magento full time,  and it shouldn’t go unmentioned that their full feature blown version cost nearly $9000.

I do agree we should have at least one paid developer who would bug fix regularly and etc but where would the money come from? Even an outsourced developer would cost at least $2000 a month, few months ago (maybe a year) I started a chip-in pledge to have Google checkout developed for VirtueMart, only one person pledged, sure we have a large user base but it seems majority of our user base wants everything for free and now, do you honestly think we will be able to raise $2000 every month to have a full time dev working on VirtueMart, I doubt, but would like to be proven wrong.

Anyway to answer your question, all I can say is we are currently working on VirtueMart 1.1.4 we want to make it as bug free as possible.

dorjano

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 16:01:33 pm »
Thanks Peter for you honest answer. I really appreciate it. eCommerce is a serious business which demand a serious tool and a serious team behind it. VM is able to fulfill 70-80% of requests a modern eShop has. To be honest neither Magento free or a commercial one are able to fulfill 100% but it's very rare to have such a big feature demand anyway. I was just wondering if there is place and a suitable business model for a cmmercial VM. I would be ready to pay for it not 9000$ but what I know up to 300€. As the ecommerce is a seriouse business for me in time the 1000€ would not be a problem. I believe that every one using VM today would pay at a certain time a fer price for a good modern ecommerce tool. As I said ecommerce is a serious thing not a joke and has to be treated as such.

Regards, thank you for your effort and good luck

Dorjano   

Orkid

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 18:19:28 pm »
I would be willing to pay monthly for virtuemart. Maybe not $100 a month, but maybe between $10 to $15 a month? If you were to implement this with all the eshops who use it, I'm sure it would be close to the amount you would need to pay a programmer monthly? I realize that now it would be too late, since many have downloaded it.

Maybe with the next version, if people want to upgrade, then a payment system could come into place. I have issues with Virtuemart, and while the forums are great, coming here doesn't always get you a solution, and many questions go unanswered.

Either way, it's a great app, and I'm happy we're using it with our site. :)

Thanks,

Daphne