News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

UPS shipping calculations way low

Started by bobmeetin, May 12, 2009, 07:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobmeetin

I was able to get the UPS API and get UPS shipping to work without errors for joomla 1.5.10 and virtuemart 1.1.3, but I'm running into seriously off calculations in shipping charges.

For a product that weighs 150 pounds (the limit)
ship from 80501 (colorado)
ship to 94043 (california)

According to UPS online and a call to UPS store it should run about $115 for UPS ground, but it is displaying $29.06.

I have tried messing with the weights to see if it is picking up the weight correctly - it seems to be - I have it set to display a message at anything above 70 pounds.

I have messed with both origin locale and destination to different states including NY, but can't get it to come anywhere close to $115.

$29.06 is close to what it would be for a 44 pound package.

I tested this in 2 separate installs of Virtuemart 1.1.3.  I also set up a 68 lb package in both stores.  According to UPS online it should cost $23.56 to ship from 80501 to 80516.  In both stores it runs $19.58.

If I switch the ship to address to be 94043 it displays $28.72, yet the actual UPS rate is $38.84. For the purposes of comparison I set up a vanilla zencart store with the same product/weight and it calculated $40.94, a few dollars high but close.

Advice please?

Ideas please?

bobmeetin

Here is a link to a product in a sample store which is set to 68 pounds:

http://dottedi.info/demo2/vmchk/outdoor-tools/68-lb-chain-saw/flypage.tpl.php

Both the store and UPS shipping module configuration are using zip code "80501" as the home base.

bobmeetin

Here is some additional troubleshooting info on the problem. I made sure that the demo site is running Joomla 1.5.10 and Virtuemart 1.1.3.  I set up a 1 LB product to make for easy testing.

To follow the troubleshooting visit http://www.dottedi.info/demo2.  Scroll down the left column to list all products, select and add the 1 LB screwdriver to your cart.  Update the quantity to 48 and begin the checkout process.  The shop is located in zip code 80501. 

I installed the latest UPS2.0 shipping module vm_ups_v2.0_2009.04.22.zip per the post UPS http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=47142.0 - and it works wonderfully, but does not resolve the rate inconsistency.

Here is an image link to the config info:

To replicate this problem use a zip code of 94043 for Mountain View, CA as your ship to address.  For a quantity of 48 (equivalent to 48 pounds) I get:

UPS Ground: $23.52
Next Day Air: $169.70

According to UPS online, https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US&WT.svl=PNRO_L1, this should be:

UPS Ground: $33.35 (and yes, zencart matches to the penny)
Next Day Air: $193.55

I don't know if there are any slight variances according to shipping time, but it will be close if not right on the money. When I turned on debug mode here are some of the relevant responses I got:

Debug: Starting Shipping module: upsv2
Debug: Source zip was set to override: ->80501<-
Debug: class.Shipment::addPackage() Adding a new bundled package
Debug: upsv2::get_rates_array() using cached rate for country: US, zip code: 94043, weight:48,insurance:0 , and L/W/H of 0/0/0.
Debug: upsv2::modify_rates() Adding handling fee 1
Debug: upsv2::modify_rates() Adding handling fee 1

With the UPS2.0 module installed I had difficulty obtaining the XML post/response, so I temporarily switched back to core UPS and this is the XML response (minus my identify info):

XML Post:

<?xml version="1.0"?><AccessRequest xml:lang="en-US"> <AccessLicenseNumber>0123456789</AccessLicenseNumber> <UserId>whatever</UserId> <Password>whatever</Password></AccessRequest><?xml version="1.0"?><RatingServiceSelectionRequest xml:lang="en-US"> <Request>  <TransactionReference>  <CustomerContext>Shipping Estimate</CustomerContext>  <XpciVersion>1.0001</XpciVersion>  </TransactionReference>  <RequestAction>rate</RequestAction>  <RequestOption>shop</RequestOption> </Request> <PickupType>  <Code>01</Code> </PickupType> <Shipment>  <Shipper>   <Address>    <PostalCode>80501</PostalCode>    <CountryCode>US</CountryCode>   </Address>  </Shipper>  <ShipTo>   <Address>    <PostalCode>94043</PostalCode>    <CountryCode>US</CountryCode>    <ResidentialAddressIndicator/>   </Address>  </ShipTo>  <ShipFrom>   <Address>    <PostalCode>80501</PostalCode>    <CountryCode>US</CountryCode>   </Address>  </ShipFrom>  <Package>   <PackagingType>    <Code>00</Code>   </PackagingType>   <PackageWeight>    <UnitOfMeasurement>     <Code>LBS</Code>    </UnitOfMeasurement>    <Weight>48</Weight>   </PackageWeight>  </Package> </Shipment></RatingServiceSelectionRequest>

XML Result:

<?xml version="1.0"?><RatingServiceSelectionResponse><Response><TransactionReference><CustomerContext>Shipping Estimate</CustomerContext><XpciVersion>1.0001</XpciVersion></TransactionReference><ResponseStatusCode>1</ResponseStatusCode><ResponseStatusDescription>Success</ResponseStatusDescription></Response><RatedShipment><Service><Code>03</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>23.52</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>23.52</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery></GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime></ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>23.52</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode> ;<MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>23.52</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>48.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>12</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>55.05</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>55.05</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>3</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime></ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>55.05</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode&g t;<MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>55.05</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>48.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>02</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>82.15</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>82.15</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>2</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime></ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>82.15</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode&g t;<MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>82.15</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>48.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>13</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>165.05</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>165.05</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>1</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime></ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>165.05</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCod e><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>165.05</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>48.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>14</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>200.70</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>200.70</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>1</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime>8:30 A.M.</ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>200.70</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>200.70</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>48.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>01</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>169.70</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>169.70</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>1</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime>10:30 A.M.</ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>169.70</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>0.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>169.70</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>48.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>48.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment></RatingServiceSelectionResponse>

soundoholic

I am having the same issue. I ship many heavy items and the prices are way off. It even gives options that should not be available. Any help would be great.

lowmips

Out of curiosity, have you guys tried calculating the "dimensional weight" as per UPS's rules, to see if there is any difference?

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/dim_weight.html
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)