Author Topic: Washington State sales tax - destination-based implementation  (Read 31218 times)

kIsa_camel

• Beginner
    • sanalpos-tr
Re: Washington State sales tax - destination-based implementation
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 12:08:55 pm »
the problem is not about getting the tax rates and applying it chrislim. things go into mess when discounts are applied (before & after tax). actually, my solution was working upto this point and including the details you've posted. but when we tried to apply a discount VM simply didn't care.
http://www.sanalpos-tr.com
custom payment mods, modification projects, installation-configuration-migration support for vm

insideout

• Beginner
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 00:08:48 am »
Lots of different twists and turns in this thread. I haven't been able to implement it. Can anyone summarize this for me in a single post? I'm not sure which parts are additions, and which parts are replacements? Thanks so much

EliminateChaos

• Beginner
    • Shop.eliminatechaos.com
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 19:55:12 pm »
We had a developer make the changes so that the Washington sales tax rates are looked up on the wa.dor.gov site. This is for Joomla 1.5.14 with VirtueMart 1.1.4

He also fixed the discount issues. Cart works like a dream and even if WA changes the rates, who cares it will look up the new ones. Reply to this message and I will email you the 3 files.

Bruce Morgan

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 20:24:14 pm »
Sounds very interesting.  I gave up on this because I had a more fundamental problem of VM not being able to correctly combine multiple tax rates slonng with tax rates based on ship to address.  Since I sell food items within  WA state at zero tax this is important to me.  Do you mods accomodate this?

Bruce
www.pepper-passion.com

Bruce Morgan

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 21:17:23 pm »
I tried the mod suggested by eliminate chaos.  It works if everything you sell is taxable.  It appears that if you use their hack you will need to set all of your product tax rates to zero.  The hack will then dtermine the correct tax rate based on the ship-to address and apply it to everything in the cart.  If you have a tax rates already applied to certain prducts they will be taxed twice.

Bruce

Scar

• J-lux
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 04:04:59 am »
Could someone just outline what is needed for WA taxes. I'm not from USA so I don't have a clue. If someone could just post what the tax rules are for different states and so on maybe me or someone else could help in this.

Bruce Morgan

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 19:24:30 pm »
Good idea. I am not sure what the capbilities of the latest VM update are but there were two problems one old and one new that relate to how taxes are calculated.  The first and older problem is probably also relevant to many other staes in the USA.  The issue are as follows:

1.  The basic tax mode we ned to employ is to base taxes on the destination.  For the present moment at leasr, we are not rquired to collect taxes on goods shipped out of state.  This part works fine.

2.  In WA (and some other states) food products are exempted from sales taxes.  Therefore, I have enabled "multiple tax rates" and have assigned two tax rates for WA, one at 0.0% and one at 9.5% which is the local tax rate where I live.  We were treated customers as though they were walk-in retail customer shopping in our stre ans subjec to the ocal tax rate.  This feature did not seem to work and many threads and hacks were devoted to this topic.  In my case VM did not recognize the 0.0% tax rate and charges tax on everything shipped within WA state.  Recently I discovered by accident that if I assigned tax rate "0" (defined as "none") to the non-taxable products the the formula seems to work.  That is better but assigning taxes as "off" or "on" does not equate to multiple tax rates in my mind.  What if there were three tax rates?  I would nee to ability to be able to create three taxes for Washington states and have VM recgonize which rates is assigned to which product.  This capability does not presently seems to exist, or does it?

3.  The latest complication enacted about 18 months ago requires that vendors collect sales tax based on the tax rates in effect at the destination of the customer.  This is tremdously complicated as there are many tax jurisdictions and their boundaries do not correspond exactly to zip code in the address, even when the zip code plus four code is used.  The hack in this thread appears to use a default tax rates as a backup but then goes to a web site page hosted by the Stats of Washington to find the tax rates based on the ship to address or zip code plus 4.  It seemed to work partially except that it was charging tax on everything.  Maybe I merged the files incorrectly but I was seing double tax assigned to the taxable itmes and a single tas charged to non-taxable.

What I believe is needed is to design a decision tree where the first step is to evaluate wheich tax mode is being used.  The second step for tax based on destination would be to determine if there are tax rates set up for the destination state.  Third step would be to determine if there are products that have a zero tax rate assigned to them.  An alternate way might be to have a a product attribute selector that would allow admins to checkmark whether a product is defined as a food product.  If so the prduct would not be included in the subtotal for which rax would be calculated.  The last step would be for VM to refer to a web site where the local tax rates could be looked up and aplied to taxable items only.  Failing the ability to verfy the tax rate online, a default tax rate coudl be applied.

I am not a programmer so I am not able to judge how difficult this would be in relation to where we are now.  Any commnnets?

Bruce
www.pepper-passion.com

Scar

• J-lux
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 22:20:29 pm »
I don't think this is a big problem. The hack provided in original post seems to work fine when applied to VM 1.1.4. So it wouldn't be too hard to apply the check for product tax as well. What would have to be done is to check if the product tax is 0, then no tax should be applied and if the tax is whatever the hack should kick in and give the right tax. The product tax check is inside "Based on vendor address" so just steal some parts there and add a if before the hack that check if product tax is 0 or not. I guess that wold work. I don't have time to do this right now, I might have a lot of time in a few days so I'll look into it then if I have an Internet connection. Just wanted to post this in case soemone else felt they would like to give it a go.

EliminateChaos

• Beginner
    • Shop.eliminatechaos.com
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 01:46:01 am »
I agree that if the check to see if the product was taxable or not was added to the code it would work 100% for Washington State at least. We paid a developer to take the originally posted concept in the thread as it did not work when the tax amount was listed in the 4th stage of the checkout and had a few other issues. I did not discover the fact that we did not check to see if a product was NOT taxable as I do not sell food items. Sorry I missed that Bruce.

California has a bigger issue as the State did not provide a lookup system like Washington State. They also need a Zip +4 code to get an accurate tax rate as some tax areas overlap and would require looking up the address using the US Post Office API to get a "corrected" address.

I attached the 3 modified files here. I have no idea what was changed in them only to say that it works! (minus the check to see if the item is taxable or not)

[attachment cleanup by admin]

Zombie

• Beginner
    • Thunder Kiss NW
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 07:08:12 am »
So is the WA state tax problem fixed??

If so, what version is the latest hack for.  I'm still running Kisa_Camel's version that he sold me.  It does the job as long as I upload the original files to discount and item and then upload his files for selling them.

I'm very curios if this has been fixed.    ;D

Bruce Morgan

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 15:30:15 pm »
In my opinion no.  There is a hack that will allow you to differentiate etween taxable and non taxable and there is another one (this thread) that will implement the destination based solution but without differentating between taxable and nontaxable.

I decided the lesser of two evils was to use the former solution.  Taxable good are taxed at the rate applicable to my business address and food itmes are not taxed at all.

Bruce

Zombie

• Beginner
    • Thunder Kiss NW
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 15:41:26 pm »
I do not sell non-taxable items.  From what I've read, this will work for sites that don't need to differentiate between the two.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bruce Morgan

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 15:46:49 pm »
yes, it should work.

Bruce

Zombie

• Beginner
    • Thunder Kiss NW
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 03:15:23 am »
I cannot get this to show tax  >:(
There is 2 files in the zip that is posted that I haven't seen or have any idea where they should be placed.

The basket.php and ro_basket.php files have me stumped. 
Right now my shop is down until I get this figured out.

Bruce Morgan

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2010, 16:07:14 pm »
It should be in home/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/.  One file goes in the "HTML" folder and the other goes in the "classes" folder.

Bruce