News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Developing the New FedEx Shipping Method for "Web Services"

Started by Bob Bloom, March 10, 2009, 03:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Bloom

I'm interested in developing the new FedEx Shipping Method using FedEx's new "Web Services" server.

I will donate my time; however, my wonderful sub-contractor needs to be taken care of.

I will also maintain a forum for my new FedEx Shipping Method, as I do for all my Virtuemart add-ons.

More on this at my Virtuemart blog at http://www.southlasalle.com/blog/fedex-web-services-shipping-method-for-vm-113/.

Let me know your thoughts,
-Bob
Bob Bloom
freelance Joomla speshitpillt
http://southlasalle.com

Sid.

I think this is a great idea, to develop a new FedEx Shipping Module that utilizes their Web Services rather than the Legacy API.  People may not be outspoken about it now, but once FedEx does drop their legacy support, I'm sure this forum will be overrun with folks wondering where their shipping prices went. 

andrew

what is the ticker at Bob?  I am happy to part with the $10, maybe more but I cannot wait 6 months for the product   thanks

knotworking

If there was the ability to print a (zebra) shipping label directly from the Orders page, I'm sure my client would part with $$$. I'd like to see a benchmark on the development stages and donate a portion of the total as each benchmark was reached; throwing all the money in upfront doesn't have a great track record in my experience.

lonemedic

lowmips

Hi all,
Bob has graciously "passed the ball" to me for this project.  I plan on initially implementing basic functionality. Of course, with more funding I can make the FedEx module feature-rich like my UPSv2 module.

I see this project happening one of two ways:
1) I get enough funding to complete the project, and release the code to the forums

2) I do not get enough funding to pay for the module outright, but release it as a commercial product until enough sales cover the development costs. At that point, I relicense the module under the GPL, and release it to the forums.

If you are interested in helping fund the project, please contact me with the amount you can contribute.

Thanks,
Reggie
aka "lowmips"
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

Jay Clancy

I just tonight had a lengthy conversation with FedEx about this very topic. Web Services has some exciting functionality that can make our web businesses even more efficient. I am very glad there is interest in doing this. So seriously, what specifically will it take to make this happen and how quickly can it get done? I am not a programmer, but I may be able to help in other ways.

lowmips

Jay,
I am starting the basic module development this week.  I'm hoping to have a release candidate by the beginning or middle of next week (depending on how calm things are around here..LoL).  I have not received much support since my post, so I will be initially releasing the module under a commercial license until development costs are covered.  After those costs are recovered, I'll release it to the forums under the GPL.

Again, at first it will be a basic module, simply querying for rates and showing the results, like most other basic modules.  I'll add features in the exact same way as my UPSv2 module; that is, someone pays for development time per each feature, then I release it to the forums.  Until I release the module publicly, only those who have bought copies will receive the feature updates.

I do feel that the module will become a "hack", much like the UPSv2 module. In order to add some of the exciting features that FedEx has to offer, there absolutely will need to be core file changes!  So as the feature set increases, expect a much more difficult installation routine.  Well...unless someone pays to develop an "auto-install" feature.

-Reggie

ps. Did FedEx mention a cut over date from "Web API" to "Web Services"?
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

lowmips

Just an quick update..I got to dig down into the new "Web Services' stuff today.  It works out of the box with the php5 SOAP library, but I'm going to try and use the VM included nusoap client in order to allow for pre-php5 compatibility.

I believe I can get the basic shipping module going in around 10 working hours or so. I've got the basic framework set up, and just need to flesh it all out now.  I feel I'll definitely have a release candidate to test by next week!

-Reggie

dsiebes

Just a post for support, I'm willing to donate and/or buy up to $50 if this gets developed in the next month.

lowmips

Hi all,
Just another update.  I'm very close to having a working module.  I ran into a couple of speed bumps, but I made a lot of progress today.  I'm at the point where I am parsing the results in order to show them to the user.  I also have a few small 'bugs' to work out, mostly due to changes in what the request is expected to have and what the reply gives.

A couple of notes:

1) I'm going to ditch the use of nusoap.  There are certain language constructs in PHP5 that I foresee this module using (like I used in my UPSv2 module).  Since I want to use PHP5, I may as well use the PHP SOAP functions.

2) The wsdl FedEx supplies points to their testing server.  I'm not sure when the switchover to production will be.  I'm also not sure if I'll be able to test in the production environment.  If FedEx requires me to have a 'real' account in order to go into production (i.e. enter a credit card number), I'll have to rely on users for that testing.

-Reggie

lowmips

Hi all,

I have a working module available and ready for user testing.  It has taken me 12 hours to get to this point and I've received no donations as of yet.  So, I'll need to initially charge for copies until the development time has been compensated for.  Once that is covered, I'll publicly release it under the GPL.  Please contact me if you'd like a copy.  I'll be debugging minor bugs for free.  I will not be adding features until the basic module has been publicly released.

Requirements:
PHP5+ with SOAP libraries installed
Joomla 1.5.x+
VM1.1.x+
FedEx account with Web Services credentials

Features:
-Basic Rate retrieval from FedEx's new Web Services API.
-Delivery ETA display, when available
-Handling Fee
-Tax Rate

-Reggie

ps. Donators will be listed on the "donators" tab in the fedexv2 module configuration, exactly like in my UPSv2 and USPSv5 modules

dsiebes

Reggie has sent me the module and I confirm it installs fine and has a wonderful configuration page. I would recommend anyone running a store with FedEx shipping make a modest donation to support his hard work.

lowmips

Features I'd like to add (but need the basic module development paid for first, and also need underwriters for these features):

- Show FedEx rates in the cart itself (update my UPSv2 CartRates plugin to work with FedEx)
- Bundled/Unbundled packages (like in UPSv2)

(more to come)

ilovenaps

Does the new module for Fed Ex also send weight and size information when calculating shipping? VERY willing to pay for this module if it will end my Fed Ex shipping nightmare :)