Author Topic: One page checkout  (Read 100260 times)

danish

• Beginner
One page checkout
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:48:54 am »
I want the checkout process ( with user registration ) to be done only in one step. Customer information, billing information, shipping information & payment information all should be only in one step. Customer only need to go through one page after clicking the checkout link.

aravot

• Peter
  • Quality&Testing Team
    • VirtueMart Extensions
Re: One page checkout
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 22:10:57 pm »
Admin -> Configuration -> Checkout tab -> change all steps to 1 and you will have a Single checkout page, however it is not the best looking single checkout page but it works.

danish

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:50:47 am »
thanx for showing interest. But I've done this. What I want is all checkout steps and user registration page on a single page. Is it possible in virtuemart. Or tell me which file get executed just after the form submission or after clicking over the confirm checkout.

Scar

• J-lux
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:06:13 am »
I tried to make some changes to the checkout page where all steps are under it's own tab, like in Magento. I didn't get it to work at first try, I will continue to try to get it to work, but this is really something I think will have to be implemented to VM by default, it is a crucial thing for a webshop. And it would make the look and feel of it really sweet!

pmg

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 15:03:14 pm »
Any progressions on "One page checkout"?
Is it implemented i VM yet? Or is there meybe some extensions for it?

master13

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:48:53 am »
People have asked for this feature over and over again. The conversion drops up to 40% if the customer has to go through more than one page to check out.  Would someone please implement this feature. If I have a choice between losing 40% of my sales and going to Magento or another solution than the choice is clear.

It would be shame if such a great component as Virtuemart didn't respond to the needs of internet marketers who need this feature.

aravot

• Peter
  • Quality&Testing Team
    • VirtueMart Extensions
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:17:03 am »
Tired of people saying they will use Magento or another eCart, specially from users with few post, if you want to use another shopping cart please do so.

unleash.it

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 00:11:03 am »
It's not a nice way to put it (being demanding never is), but I have to agree. Checkout it is the #1 worst part about Virtuemart. There are more steps then are needed, and coversion rates will certainly suffer (research has been done to prove this).

Out of the box it's very ugly and hard to customize. The option to change the number of step in the back end works, but as Aravot says...it's pretty bad.

I really like the way Foxycart (www.foxycart.com) handles checkout. Please see the screenshots. First of all, rather than ask if you are a returning customer or not, it simply asks for an email. Then it checks the DB for a match. If it finds one, then it asks for a password and retrives your data. If not, and either way, the full signup/order form slides out using jquery...all on one page.

As a side note, Foxycart has a great add to cart function. Like VM, it uses an ajax popup. But it uses a lightbox (or some variation) and displays the full cart. I think VM's way is very confusing for most people (especially how it disappears), so I always turn it off.

OFFER: I'm not great with PHP, but I do have good html/css, some jquery, and know enough about VM code for most templating issues. If it worked for you to work this way... I'd be happy to offer my time to help change this. If one of the core devs wanted to work together, I think we could get this done. We could do some research and come up the best way to do it.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

master13

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:15:57 am »
Hey unleashit, this is a great example from Foxycart. I have never heard of Foxycart before but they have nailed the checkout right on the money.

Several other shopping carts have adopted one page checkout, specifically for the fact that people tend to abandon the cart if there are too many steps involved in buying the product.

The 41.3% lower conversion is what I noticed on my site after switching from a custom php shopping script to Joomla + Virtuemar.

Here is one of many articles on the subject:
http://www.i-newswire.com/pr276789.html
They state that one page checkout can have a 50% increase in conversion !!!

Here is another article from Jupiter Research, one of the most reputable Internet research firms.
http://www.infosysblogs.com/multi-channel-retailing/2008/07/one_page_checkout_and_perpetua.html

Those are whooping conversion losses.

Here are more articles on the subject:
http://www.articlealley.com/article_818408_81.html
http://www.rickwhittington.com/blog/one-page-checkout-flow-using-ajax-boosts-conversion-rates/
http://www.varien.com/ecommerce/ajax-based-one-page-checkout-video/
http://www.chicagostyleseo.com/2009/02/7-steps-shopping-cart-checkout-optimization/
http://www.softwareprojects.com/resources/conversion-traffic-to-cash/t-one-page-checkout-1464.html
http://www.americommerce.com/One-Page-Checkout.htm

Aravot, we like and appreciate your work but I think you also want Virtuemart to be relevant to the market needs.

aravot

• Peter
  • Quality&Testing Team
    • VirtueMart Extensions
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 18:05:54 pm »
I am aware that one page checkout is needed and other features, my reply was when users say they will use another shopping cart because this or that feature is missing, instead of offer to help.

VirtueMart is short of coders we need the help of community, we have request help, I have posted for features to be submitted (no result yest) if community is not interested to help what can we do.

We can't do everything, all of us including users have limited time and other responsibilities can't spend all the time on coding VirtueMart, users sometime forget this is a project of love.

If a feature is really needed why not get together raise money and hire a coder to code the feature and donate the code to be included in VirtueMart.

jjk

• Global Moderator
  • using Matomo instead of Google Analytics
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 19:25:34 pm »
Out of the box it's very ugly...

...that primarily depends on the template you are using and personal taste  :D
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

unleash.it

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:23 am »
VirtueMart is short of coders we need the help of community, we have request help, I have posted for features to be submitted (no result yest) if community is not interested to help what can we do.

I'm sorry to hear this. I've haven't had an ecommerce site to do in a few months, so I haven't been keeping up to date.

I agree, talk is cheap... which is why I've offered to help with the skills I have. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough with PHP to do it properly by myself, but I think I could be useful teaming up with someone where my job was to iron out the html/css output side of it. I understand if no one wants to work like this, but this is a way I think I can help. The offer still stands.

Out of the box it's very ugly...

...that primarily depends on the template you are using and personal taste  Cheesy

jjk, I've yet to see a downloadable (commercial or free) template that themes checkout. Have you? I've themed my own checkouts and the rest (although I haven't yet made a one page), but for obvious reasons it would be better to get it into the core.

I like VM and don't want to offend anyone... but the checkout and account areas are a lot of work to whip into shape. Considering the cost (free), this is far from a complaint. Lots of areas need improvement, but I'm surprised this doesn't have more of a priority as a lot of the end users I speak with (I teach people graphic design/web developement) don't like VM specifically because of the way it looks.

unleash.it

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 09:53:49 am »
master13,

I personally find a 50% loss a bit hard to believe. I haven't read those articles yet, but I'm sure it all depends on who your audience is. But it is pretty amazing how fickle everyone is these days...

aravot

• Peter
  • Quality&Testing Team
    • VirtueMart Extensions
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 00:32:10 am »
unleash.it,

See if you can style/improve VirtueMart build-in 'Single Page Checkout'

Most users don't know VirtueMart has a build-in single page checkout in fact we have had it before other shopping cart but never improved it (our bad), if you can improve the build-in single page checkout send it to me and I will add it to the core.

unleash.it

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:23 am »
Hi Aravot,

I hadn't taken a look at the feature to shorten all the step for awhile. Actually, the best you can do is make it a 2 page checkout. Page one is the form for new/old customers to login or fill out their details.

For those who don't know, the options are in the the configuration, checkout tab. You need to make all of them show on step 1. See what page 2 looks like below...

The problem for me to try to tackle it by myself, is that because of the current complexity that comes with giving the user the option of different amounts of checkout pages... I'm afraid it would be over my head to crank something out that would usable in everyone's situation. But if you could get rid of the option and just have a one page check out, I see that as being the area that I could help. Also, I'm OK at following the logic, but it would be helpful to be have someone to call on for help. Lastly, I think a couple of ajax calls (like the email check in Foxycart) would go a long way to free up space on a one page checkout page...but alas that's above my head.

I admit, what I can contribute is probably the smaller part of the job... but I do think it's substantial. I think I could style it pretty well, and if we could make some somewhat bold changes, we would have a much better checkout. And after that could be the ajax add to cart message...

Anyway, the offer stands. Maybe this is just the type of thing to get more people involved? Or of course it could just lead to more headaches... But I'm pretty reliable ;)

[attachment cleanup by admin]