News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

IE Crashing with VM

Started by willowtree, January 31, 2009, 22:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willowtree

My VM install (1.1.3) is at http://www.willowtreecrafts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=182

IE is crashing everytime you click on the shop menu item IE crashes. It's fine in Firefox. I've also tried setting up a new menu item and trying that (not adding any new modules or anything) and it still crashes.

Anyone any ideas?

Edited to Add: Joomla 1.0.15
Please add your VM and Joomla Version to your signature to make it easier to help you:

Most of my code posted in the forum is for VirtueMart 1.0  -  not for 1.1

jenkinhill

We know about the backend issue with IE7 as that is consistent, but I cannot reproduce the front end issues, although there are a couple of reports of this, too. Is the error message the same as in MS KB927917? Can you check if it occurs with another Joomla template?
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

willowtree

I've tried changing the template on the additional menu item I created for VM with no extra modules, and it still crashing, in IE 7 and 8beta.

Still the same, however, I don't have a working PC at the moment, and my old one was win ME upgraded to XP so I  don't have an install disc I can use with parallels. Im stuck at the moment, but using FireFox REnder in IE I still have problems

Edited to add: the template I have tested with is madeyourweb, a standard joomla install template.
Please add your VM and Joomla Version to your signature to make it easier to help you:

jenkinhill

I thought Q&T was more appropriate for this thread. I cannot recreate a front end crash with ie7 or IE8RC1 (except for css issues). IE8 has developer tools built in, so hit F12 and see if it can spot the script issue.

I no longer have J!1.0 around on my test installs, all my testing is with J!1.5.9
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

willowtree

I wasn't 100% sure if it ws an IE issue or VM,

could you do me a quick favour at all, and just check the error if you go to http://www.willowtreecrafts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31 in IE (any version)

I don't have IE on any system here as I use OS X and cannot install IE on my machines.

I had this issue with VM 1.1.2, and upgraded to 1.1.3 in case that solved it but no luck.

jenkinhill

Amy, I checked that page with IE7 and got the operation aborted message. You say you had this with VM1.1.2?
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

willowtree

I think so, I never use IE, but I had a customer with problems, I think it ws with the jscook menu, so i changed that to the link list, but they said they still had problems, so I upgraded to 1.1.3, and now I've got the operation aborted.

Is it possible to downgrade back to 1.1.2 in case that wasn't the error they were getting?

I have tried the patch, and it's still not working from what I can tell.

It's all fine in Firefox

jenkinhill

The revised htmlTools.class.php file is a partial fix - it may solve your frontend issue. Can you try that?

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

willowtree

I have applied it, but it looks like IE is still giving the operation aborted issue,

jenkinhill

Yes, still aborting. It is a JavaScript error but IE wont tell me where... I hate IE.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

willowtree

I can't even see any VM specific JS errors in Firefox debug

jenkinhill

There aren't any that affect FF. This is a pure IE thing which makes it so difficult to identify.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

jenkinhill

Amy, I have checked your url with IE8 RC1 which has better error handling than IE7. The site is usable, despite the errors. I attach the error doc from IE8 here in case it helps. You will see that there are some issues with the template js & mootools as well as  the VM error.

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

willowtree

hiya,

Thanks. I have seen the errors in the template, looks like I need to see if theres an update, the template is from a reputable vendor. Also, users can use the rest of the site, it was only the shop link that was crashing IE,

Thanks,