Author Topic: *V Urgent* Browse styling problem *** PLEASE HELP!***  (Read 6399 times)

strebblo

• Beginner
Re: *V Urgent* Browse styling problem *** PLEASE HELP!***
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 15:59:10 pm »
true enough I guess, I'd love to be able to help sort out some of these problems, but it just won't happen.

VM does have lots of problems, but I can't see anyone giving it the time needed to sort them out properly.
Joomla is the same - a good friend of mine wanted to use Joomla as a base CMS to use for his customers. I think he tried fixing and working around things for a month or two, and then started from scratch and wrote a CMS from the ground up without any of the legacy cr*p, and standards compliant too.

Frankly I don't have that special combination of desparation and talent, so I'll have to suffer open source CMS's and carts!

Nirm

• Contributing Developer
    • Me, My Work and I
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 16:43:31 pm »
1. Can i suggest that you install Firebug and Web Developer extensions for Firefox. They will save you HOURS in trying to debug and find referenced CSS files buried in the depths of your server.

2. browse pages related to layouts of categories, flypages refer to layout of product detail pages

3. Ref Magento - I think its MVC but you will have to hand code all your landing pages. You will need to learn their template language. Having said that it look incredibly impressive and its Free and gathering momentum fast.
A lot of questions are answered in the VM 1.1 User Manual please read it before asking questions.
-------------------------------------
http://www.nirmoysomaia.com

strebblo

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 17:52:08 pm »
Thanks for that.

1 I have done, but it still doesn't show up everything that is so deeply nested. Useful nonetheless..
2 Not sure I follow this - please explain?
3 Magento looks impressive, not sure what MVC is though, and how do you go about finding out info re coding for it?

Thanks

Nirm

• Contributing Developer
    • Me, My Work and I
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 19:40:41 pm »
The browse templates - browse1.php etc etc. These can be edited to modify the layout of the category pages. The flypage templates - flypage.tpl.php etc can be edited to modify the layout of the product detail pages.

in vm 1.1 you can find these in components/com_virtuemart/themes/default/templates/browse and components/com_virtuemart/themes/default/templates/product_details

MVC - model/view/controller - a method of separating data layer from application logic from the presentation layer. makes for rapid development and customisation.

All good software is coded this way now. vm 1.1.x was rewritten in this way but its not quite there yet. However, it is a million times easier to edit that older versions - that was a real dog for novices and alike.

you could take a look a the user/developer manual which is very good

good luck
A lot of questions are answered in the VM 1.1 User Manual please read it before asking questions.

Nirm

• Contributing Developer
    • Me, My Work and I
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 19:42:16 pm »
magento - there are lots of screencasts to help you get started and good documentation and a decent forum.

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 22:38:15 pm »
I have to say one of the more annoying things VM does is the way it switches between MVC & old style html/php coding.
Take the checkout process for instance.
You start off fine with the shop.cart template which loads one of the basket templates.
But the next stage dumps you straight into the admin component stuff which gets updated. That follows through up until the thankyou page which jumps back to the templates.
Things like that, along with the css assigned directly to page elements in the code, are incredibly frustrating. As soon as you change it, you pretty much lose your ability to upgrade.
Meh, enough whinging.

Wow. I never even thought of that...

Well, I hope my client will be happy with VirtueMart 1.1.2, because that's the customized version they're getting, and I guess it'll have to do! I'm planning on rebuilding all the templates from scratch, so I will lose the ability to upgrade cleanly, unless I see what changes were made an incorporate them into my custom templates, but that could take a long time...

strebblo

• Beginner
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 17:22:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far chaps - progress has been made and most of my hair remains :D

I have another problem with this in IE6 however, that I didn't notice before - it's on a page like this:
http://bm-camping.co.uk/jvmc/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=22&Itemid=1

If you view it in FF, the problem is non exsistent, but I can't work out what is causing it - I just want the top area of the item list to have the correct amount of space and not overlap.
Any ideas?

Thanks again - Fred.

strebblo

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 23:38:15 pm »
Actually no problem now, just IE6 playing with me :(
After refreshing the page or clicking one the 'Bubba keg' link, it gets into position. Stupid IE...

If anyone else finds it is actually broken on their version of IE6, please tell me here though. Thankyou!

strebblo

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 21:59:22 pm »
I guess this is fixed now...  ;D
Thanks everyone for the help.

If anyone can shed any light on the checkout styling process, please do in my other thread here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=50801.0

Thanks again....