Author Topic: Database options for VM  (Read 1808 times)

rwatson

• Beginner
Database options for VM
« on: December 05, 2008, 16:28:52 pm »
2 Questions:

Is it impossible or at least very impractical to use PHP My Admin to edit the VM Products table? It seems that regardless of what format I use to export and import the CSV or SQL file it gives me errors and that is without changing anything at all in the file.

Is CSV Improved the best option for exporting and importing product data with VM? If so, are there any specific VM tips that could be passed along to ensure data integrity? Every time I try to make even the smallest of changes to the exported data things get corrupted after import. By way of example, I tried to change all the EUR to CAD and although it imported okay, I started to get errors on the front and back end after the import. That is one of about a dozen tests I've tried for the past 3 days.

I guess i'm looking for a "Okay so you have a bunch of data in an excel file, here is exactly how to set it up to import into VM using CSV Improved with no issues". Does such a guide exist?

Many thanks.

RolandD

• Home of CSVI
Re: Database options for VM
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:23:31 am »
Without knowing what problems you have faced, it is impossible to tell where things went wrong. However I found that using CSV Improved is for many people a steep learning curve. My advice is to start with only a few columns and expand from there on.

A guide to import with no issues is quite a dream as the guide cannot control what users put in their file. However, this guide is a start. By far not perfect nor complete. After CSV Improved 1.5 is released (this will take a few more weeks) I will start making some videos. Hopefully that will help some people.
Regards,

RolandD

CSVI
http://www.csvimproved.com/

widcater

• 3rd party VirtueMart Developer
  • Beginner
Re: Database options for VM
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:37:45 am »
Hi, there are a simple excel data import tool for Virtuemart's product data -- http://www.joomlavm.com/index.php/virtuemart-development/96-joomlavmdl-excel-data-import-tool-for-virtuemart

Any questions or advice,pls feel free to ask!