News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

UPS Shipping

Started by caseyavionics, June 01, 2010, 17:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyavionics

Hello, I will admit I'm relatively new to Virtuemart.  I thought I was starting to figure it out, then I got to shipping.  I seem to keep finding a lot of followup answers to people who seem to have the first part figured out, like which module to use, or where that module is to download.  Which is apparently what this newbie can't get figured out.  First off, I don't even know if I need to install a module.  I assume I do, since I can't find any pre-configured options in Virtuemart.  After a week's worth of searching I believe I've found a couple options for modules, but there's hardly any documentation on the modules, nor whether the module will work for me. 

Could someone please tell me whether I need an addon module or not?

If not, please let me know how to configure UPS.

If so, please let me know the right module.  I've heard people reference, UPS xml, UPS Choice, and a few others, but which one works for me.. And hopefully is easy.  Some of these seem to require adding commands to mySQL Database, which makes me nervous, as I have no idea how to start that.

Please help... .  I refuse to get this far and let this be the only thing holding me back.  I'm green, but I'm not stupid, I know there's a solution, I'm just getting lost in the options..  . .

Thanks for any help, Justin

I'm using the following:

Rockettheme, Quasar Template
Yagendoo, Vamazing Virtuemart Theme
Virtuemart, 1.1.4

lowmips

There is a basic module for UPS already included with virtuemart.  You'll need to sign up for the UPS API on www.ups.com.  Then plug in the credentials you receive into the module. Also, be sure to check services in the module configuration.  You can get to the module configuration by going to:
Administration->Store->Shipping Module List
Then click "configure shipping method" under UPS.

That should get you started.
Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

caseyavionics

Ok, duh, I'm a genius.. 

Just never noticed the link in Store, only saw the Shipping tab.  Anyway setup was simple from here.  However, now instead getting errors at the shipping point of checkout, there are no shipping methods that are displaying.  It just keeps telling me to select a shipping method.  Could this be an issue because I'm using an add-on Virtuemart theme?  Or did I just wear my brain out NOT figuring out how to configure the module for a week?

I'm using a theme from yagendoo.com called Vamazing. 

My site I'm working on is www.CaseyAV.com

Any thoughts?  I swear I'll buy you a beer if we ever run in to one another!

caseyavionics

Yikes, so I thought I'd install the cart plugin, because I thought maybe that would help.   And now I get the following error when I try to view cart:

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/homepages/36/d328185103/htdocs/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/shipping/upsv2.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /homepages/36/d328185103/htdocs/plugins/system/cartrates/cartrates.tpl.php on line 105

I'm totally out of my league now..  Any help?  Thanks, Justin

lowmips

my cart-rates plugin does not work with the standard UPS module.

For the previous issue, try placing your shop in debug mode (not joomla debug..virtuemart).
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

caseyavionics

Ok, thanks for the reply.  Sorry, I probably should have known the cart wasn't compatible.  By "standard", do you mean you have another version?  A paid version?

I will try to debug tonight.  Until then, back to the grind.   And thanks again for stepping me through this.

lowmips

Not a pay-version, per-say.  Completely free once publicly released.  You can find the different versions here:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=47142.0

But I warn you, get some more VM experience before trying to install my mod!

vargpr

How can i add an additional fee that =$0

i am trying to make only international shipping fee =$0
but usa shipping fees stay the same...how can this be done? i tried to set the standard shipping cost to 0, but i want to change the wording from  " Standard Shipping" to International Shipping

lowmips

I do not know of a way to do what you're asking, without further customization.