Author Topic: product description and images  (Read 17061 times)

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
Re: product description and images
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 22:05:28 pm »
i do have a question for you klutzon, if i have the virtue mart module running on the my page, like in the right position, and i am on the home page for my site, when i click on a category or product, the redirect takes me to the category or product and uses my home template to display the info.  this is confusing, lets say i have a slideshow module i only want to show on my home page ok, now if you are on the home page when you click the category link, the store comes up and the slideshow is open, what i have done is created a link in my menu to go to the category i want them to go to and added Itemid=200&vmcchk=1&Itemid=200 this to the link so it looks at item 200 (which dont exist) to get the modules for the page.  does all this make sense, i dont want the slideshow and stuff to show when i click the info in the virtuemart module but it does, so i disabled the module and use direct links, which blows.

Okay, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but tell me if I got this right: do you have a module which you have set to show on a page which you would not want it to show on? If, for example, you have that slideshow on the home page, you don't want it to show anywhere else? Are you trying to hide the VirtueMart Module from showing on every page but the Home Page? Have I got the general gist of it? ;)

If that's the case, then it looks like you want to be able to select what pages, or rather, what links the module will show up on. That is a standard Joomla feature with the Module Manager, you open your module and select what links you want the module to appear. But I don't know if Joomla will let you specify VirtueMart pages as ones to exclude the module from. I've not seen a way to do it anyway, unless you manually create external URL links to the VirtueMart pages in a menu, and then exclude the module from showing on those pages. Hmm...

Well...

The most direct way I'd attack this problem, and it's probably the sneakiest too, is to make a module position that only appears in the front page template, and assign your module to that position. That way, the module won't show up on any other template.

For example: if your front page template has a module position called "slideshow", and the template used for the rest of the site doesn't, that means that whatever module you've assigned to the "slideshow" position will only show on pages with the "slideshow" position. So in this case, "slideshow" will only appear on the front page, since the position only exists there. :)

You get what I'm saying? ;)

kontrolfreek

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 22:13:15 pm »
well thats not the issue, i have said slideshow set to only show on home page, however, the vm module is designed to when u click a category, it uses said page to display the store.  so lets say you are on my about us page, and on my about us page, i have no modules in the header position turned on, i click on the category in the vm module and it opens the store up with no modules in the header spot, because the about page is where i was at and it has no modules in header.  But, if i am on the home page which does have the slideshow turned on, then i click a category link in the vm module, it pulls the store up with the slideshow showing, due to the fact this is the page i was on when i clicked the link.  this make sense?

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 23:11:10 pm »
well thats not the issue, i have said slideshow set to only show on home page, however, the vm module is designed to when u click a category, it uses said page to display the store.  so lets say you are on my about us page, and on my about us page, i have no modules in the header position turned on, i click on the category in the vm module and it opens the store up with no modules in the header spot, because the about page is where i was at and it has no modules in header.  But, if i am on the home page which does have the slideshow turned on, then i click a category link in the vm module, it pulls the store up with the slideshow showing, due to the fact this is the page i was on when i clicked the link.  this make sense?

Ooooh, I see the problem now. The Virtuemart component will use whatever template that page is using...

I see I see. I'll need some time to think about that, can't think of anything at the moment to suggest.

kontrolfreek

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 23:21:28 pm »
yeah i know, crazy right, u would think you could tell it the page template you wanted to use, oh well, i got rid of the module and made my own link, works ok i guess, just bummer

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 23:42:20 pm »
yeah i know, crazy right, u would think you could tell it the page template you wanted to use, oh well, i got rid of the module and made my own link, works ok i guess, just bummer

I will seriously look into it and I hope I'll come out at the end with a solution for the both of us, because I have a feeling this problem is going to get in the way of my project as well at some point... :)

lefty

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 21:41:42 pm »
hi ppl, (VirtueMart 1.1.2, Jooomla 1.0.15)

I have been scratching my head for the past 2 weeks to make this work so was wondering if you could help.

This concerns additional images in the product details page.

I have uploaded additional image for one of my products and have added in flypage.tpl.php:
<?php echo $this->vmlistAdditionalImages( $product_id, $images ) ?>
but no additional image present in product details..

I followed your advice and added:
<?php echo $more_images ?>
with this i could at least see a link that opens up a new window with both the images inside.

I was wondering if i can have both images displayed directly in the product details page..(??) ::)

thanx!!

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 11:30:02 am »

Hey kontrolfreak, I found some info which you might find useful... :) On the FAQ page of the VirtueMart Wiki, it talks directly about your problem and how to fix it:

For correct functionality of modules appearing on VirtueMart pages you must create a menu link to the VirtueMart component. Without this Joomla has no idea that VirtueMart is being used and can't, for example, change template or assign specific modules on VirtueMart pages.

If you don't want an actual menu link, just create a new menu and publish a link to the VirtueMart component. This will create a new Joomla menu module. Don't publish this module! The link has been published but the menu is not displayed.

REMEMBER - Joomla assigns modules to components, not to component pages. If you assign a module to VirtueMart it will display on all VirtueMart Pages. This is the same for all Joomla components that have multiple pages.

http://dev.virtuemart.net/cb/wiki/1381

Just thought I'd help make your day. :D

hi ppl, (VirtueMart 1.1.2, Jooomla 1.0.15)
I have been scratching my head for the past 2 weeks to make this work so was wondering if you could help.
This concerns additional images in the product details page.
I have uploaded additional image for one of my products and have added in flypage.tpl.php:
but no additional image present in product details..
I followed your advice and added:
<?php echo $more_images ?>
with this i could at least see a link that opens up a new window with both the images inside.
I was wondering if i can have both images displayed directly in the product details page..(??) ::)
thanx!!

Hi lefty,

It is entirely possible to get both images to display in the product details page, I'm just not sure why it's not working on your end. This problem of things appearing and disappearing with every new install of VirtueMart is concerning, especially with so many people reporting it. I myself upgraded to VM 1.1.3 last night, and now the "add to cart" button on the Related Product section of the Product Details page has disappeared, and I don't think I've made any changes to the backend parameters.

There must be a common denominator, I hope we can find it, but I don't know if we can find it alone. I'm going to run some experiments, maybe I can figure something out that will help...

lefty

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 15:19:56 pm »
hi klutzon,

i've just checked out the generated html code that the
is producing and it is the following:

/components/com_virtuemart/show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=%2Fcomponents%2Fcom_virtuemart%2Fshop_image%2Fproduct%2FKF51_75.jpg&amp;newxsize=&amp;newysize=&amp;fileout=

i don't know if this tells you anything..the image is indeed in the folder specified on the above link... :o BUT the thumb size is not specified!!!

I run in the configuration and enabled the dynamic thumbnail option + specified height and width...and guess what...the additional image thumb magically appeared.. ;D

hehe...i found the answer while posting you a reply...

kontrolfreek

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 19:00:22 pm »
wow so all i did was create a menu item not published, and now it works, are you joking me?  ill test it on another site real quick and see, but seems like it works on my kontrolfreek page now.

kontrolfreek

• Beginner
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 19:09:34 pm »
actually i think going to web friendly urls and turning on the apache thing is what help fixed my issue but i added the menu option as well.  if you use web friendly urls, make sure you have a .htaccess file in the root folder and if you have some links going to the old paging system, they might give you issues

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 19:14:52 pm »
I'm really happy that you found your solution lefty. :) If there's anything else I can help you out with, let me know.

And kontrolfreek, I knew you'd like the info. Sometimes it's the smallest and most random of things that will end up solving your problems. :P Glad I could help.

[edit]: Just saw your new post, thanks for the tip on the .htaccess file, I'll keep it in mind.

andre_tnng

• Beginner
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 14:45:10 pm »
Hi There
I have a question about the view more image link, i have added it as above and added images to the relative product but only the alt shows up, when you click on the "alt" the large image shows but i need the thumbnail images to show.

http://pulsatorlures.co.za/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=18&Itemid=77

please please help.
Thanks
Andre

lefty

• Beginner
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 21:34:22 pm »
hi andre,

Was the thumbnail created automatically or have you uploaded your own thumb?

the reason i'm asking is because i think that virtuemart does not like custom thumbnail upload..

deannak

• Beginner
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 02:06:03 am »
Hi Klutzon -

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I've been tearing my hair out wondering why having modules appear on home page & not Virtuemart pages or vice versa was working on my development system & not on production.  Turns out it was due to an old, unpublished test menu item on the dev system -- exactly as you described above.

Never in a million years would I have guessed this one!  Thanks for saving the rest of my hair.  :-)