Author Topic: Parameter search (dropdown)  (Read 69170 times)

VMone

Re: Parameter search (dropdown)
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2009, 20:54:09 pm »
@szekelyz

--------------------

Hi Guys!

I have something wich could be interesting for anyone in this issue.

I have the Ecommerceplaza component and the category -> price range modules and also the first posted module.

What is the status with implementation of multiselect prod_type solution?

I have something prepared, but I need some extra help. I am looking for  a contributor.

The first attachement is the modified dropdown module by me. The second one working together with the Ecommerceplaza component.

Cheers

-------------------------------------

I have been asking for some feedback about this at TemplatePlazza.com and so I follow their comments. Be so kind and remove this attachment again, as it is part of a paid template and not a free extension. I would highly appreciate it when you follow their guidelines in this case.

But as you are responsible for yourself and your posts, I can only tell you this and really would like when you also follow those and do not keep this extension here online accesible to anyone in this free forum as TemplatePlazza.com and their team would not like this.

I think you understand, thanks!

Alt148

• Beginner
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 14:54:53 pm »
In addition to my message yesterday. The fact that the multiple values search doesn't work is due to the problem in VM.

By editing the core code of VM as described in this topic the multiple value search works:

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=44445.msg141667#msg141667

Please check for yourself the status of the error in VM.

VMone

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2009, 16:43:03 pm »

Thank you for notifying me!

No problem, I just asked them as it was unclear and I think none of us wants to go against the template clubs we really like and use a lot..;)

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2009, 20:44:38 pm »
I've been wondering one thing: When using the parameter search, the url of the page with the search results turns into (in my case) www.onrust-yacht-charters.com/index.php. From a SEO point of view, this is far from optimal.

Would it be possible somehow to append the parameter and selected values to the url? Would be great if that could be picked up by sh404SEF to translate it into a sef url, but that's a nice to have (for me at least). I thought I had read something about that somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it anymore....

Also, it would be very nice if Joomfish could handle this so I can translate the parameters and values as I have a multi lingual site.

Alt148

• Beginner
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2009, 22:11:39 pm »
As far as I know, all the parameters are in the URL, since the form uses the GET method. I have to test it myself with SH404SEF, but my first idea is that SH404SEF takes out the parameters from the URL.

You can try this by turning of SH404SEF, then you will see the parameters. (Please do this on a test version of your website!)

Also a translation by Joomfish is possible. However that requires a little bit of altering the files and also change a couple of fields in the database. In a couple of weeks I expect my site to be published. Maybe then I can show you how I fixed it.

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 18:21:43 pm »
As far as I know, all the parameters are in the URL, since the form uses the GET method. I have to test it myself with SH404SEF, but my first idea is that SH404SEF takes out the parameters from the URL.

You can try this by turning of SH404SEF, then you will see the parameters. (Please do this on a test version of your website!)

I tested it (on our test server) with sh404SEF turned off, all cache cleared, but it still doesn't append the parameters at all.

korb

• Quality&Testing Team
  • VM 2.0 in heavy testing
    • Buy my work
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 02:23:30 am »
There is a bugtracker on this: after performing a param search, no parameters in the link....

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2009, 09:30:54 am »
OK, thanks for that info. We'll just have to wait a little while I guess.

Alt148

• Beginner
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:44 am »

I tested it (on our test server) with sh404SEF turned off, all cache cleared, but it still doesn't append the parameters at all.

Hi Marc. O,

Do you know a little basic PHP? If so I will attach my customized mod. and try to explain a little what I have done. I am not a programmer and know only a little PHP by myself.

Also your Database has to be altered a little bit to get it working in different languages. BTW, I am Dutch and I got the idea you're too. So if you send me an e-mail I can try to help you in Dutch, which is a little more practical to me.

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »
Yes, I'm Dutch too ;-)

My PHP/MySQL knowledge is close to zero, but I don't mind trying to get it working (that's what test servers are for, right).

You've got mail: thanks for the offer!

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2009, 21:27:13 pm »
As far as I know, all the parameters are in the URL, since the form uses the GET method.

See, there is the difference. In the version 0.7 (1st post in this topic) the POST method is used. When I change that to GET, the parameters are appended to the url. However it just looks like it's still doing something wrong here. This is what is added to my url (still on test server):
option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&product_type_id=1&Itemid=1&product_type_1_Yacht_Type_comp=find_in_set&product_type_1_Yacht_Type=Crewed+Gulets&product_type_1_Yacht_Size_comp=find_in_set&product_type_1_Yacht_Size=&product_type_1_Charter_Destination_comp=find_in_set&product_type_1_Charter_Destination=&search=Search

Shouldn't it be possible to have it append the parameters and their values only and not the other "stuff"?

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2009, 21:28:59 pm »
Oh, and it would be nice if it remembered the chosen values after pressing "Search".....

Alt148

• Beginner
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 11:50:57 am »
Hi Marc,

Each type (Size, Type, Destination) needs two variables in the URL, the first represents the how it has to look in the array of the database, the other is what to find in that part. The 'find_in_set' tells Virtuemart he has to look for something in a serie (one of the multiple values), the other one is the 'something'.

When one of the parameters is missing in the URL, Virtuemart excludes all products in that product type.

The parameters are remembered untill the visitor chooses the 'product' (Detailed view). Then no information is placed anywhere. Maybe it is possible to place it in session, however at this moment, the module doesn't.

To experiment with this module, you can also play with the advanced search, product type tool of Vituemart itself. The module does almost do the same, just sending form variables to the URL.

If something isn't working as I described let me know. Always willing to help!  ;)

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 21:29:38 pm »
The parameters are remembered untill the visitor chooses the 'product' (Detailed view). Then no information is placed anywhere. Maybe it is possible to place it in session, however at this moment, the module doesn't.

Well, that's not the case for version 0.7 attached to the first post. After you press "Search", all pull down menus are being reset to the default entry.

Marc O.

• Onrust Yacht Charters
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 13:59:16 pm »
For SEO reasons, I would like to have the selected filter criteria included in the resulting page titles. Right now, it only says "Browse", which doesn't really make sense for search engines. Is there an easy way to do that?