News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Modified fedex shipping mod to retrieve quote based on packages

Started by harty83, November 09, 2008, 23:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harty83

Quote from: monoe on December 27, 2008, 09:45:38 AM
Since I installed modified fedEx shipping over J!1.5 & VM1.1.2, On my frontend all of the thumbnail image product doesn't show...
Need your advise pls...
Rgds
monoe

Hi monoe,

I haven't come across this issue before.  Would you be willing to PM me your site and an account I can login and take a look?

Thanks!
Alan

jmatz

I've configured as indicated in the install instructions.

When I view the product in order to set the dimensions, etc., the six fields that were added to the Product dimensions and weight by the modified FedEx files don't have any labels next to them.  (See attached screen grab).

This might explain why the rate that the module is grabbing from the FedEx servers is now much higher than it was before I added the hack.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

[attachment cleanup by admin]

harty83

Quote from: jmatz on January 05, 2009, 21:29:46 PM
I've configured as indicated in the install instructions.
When I view the product in order to set the dimensions, etc., the six fields that were added to the Product dimensions and weight by the modified FedEx files don't have any labels next to them.  (See attached screen grab).
This might explain why the rate that the module is grabbing from the FedEx servers is now much higher than it was before I added the hack.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Looks like the language file did not get copied over.  Did you overwrite the existing one or manually edited it?

Thanks,
Alan

jmatz

Thanks Alan.  That was the problem.  Only copied SOME of the language files over, not all of them.

Still getting a higher quote for shipping than I was before the update, but will investigate some of the settings and see what the problem might be.  The business/residential checkbox in the user registration works great - adds the residential surcharge as it should.  But there's still about $4 of extra charge in there that I can't identify.  Maybe a larger fuel surcharge? Hmmm....

harty83

Quote from: jmatz on January 05, 2009, 22:00:41 PM
Thanks Alan.  That was the problem.  Only copied SOME of the language files over, not all of them.
Still getting a higher quote for shipping than I was before the update, but will investigate some of the settings and see what the problem might be.  The business/residential checkbox in the user registration works great - adds the residential surcharge as it should.  But there's still about $4 of extra charge in there that I can't identify.  Maybe a larger fuel surcharge? Hmmm....

Is the quote given $4 higher than the previous fedex shipping module quote or a quote given by fedex.com?  If the previous module, try going through fedex.com to get a quote and compare that to the one given by this module. 

Thanks,
Alan

jmatz

Quote from: harty83 on January 05, 2009, 22:40:14 PM
Quote from: jmatz on January 05, 2009, 22:00:41 PM

Is the quote given $4 higher than the previous fedex shipping module quote or a quote given by fedex.com?  If the previous module, try going through fedex.com to get a quote and compare that to the one given by this module. 
Thanks,
Alan

Here is a comparison:
FedEx Site, under "Ship... Get Rates & Transit Time":
from zip:  46250
to zip:  60605
weight:  .5 lb (8 ounces)
value:  $0.00
Calculated Base Amount:  $13.95
Calculated residential surcharge: $2.40
Calculated fuel surcharge: $1.23
Total:  $17.58

VirtueMart 1.1.2 Cart, using FedEx shipping module update 20081109
from zip:  46250 (from the store information in admin)
to zip: 60605
weight: 8 ounces
value: --
Calculated Amount to my residential address:  $20.75
Calculated Amount to my business address:  $18.17

So, the difference of $3.17 to a residential address must be coming from something in the product configuration, I guess.  Not sure how the "Ship alone" and "Exceptions" will affect this, but I have it set to ship alone, with a L,W,H setting of zero for all, weight of 1lb. (it won't take a weight less than that).  I have the Handling fee set to "0" and the Extra handling fee set to "0".  FedEx quote based on Weight Only.

Difference between residential and business address should be $2.40 (based on the FedEx site calculation), but as you can see above, the difference is $2.58

WebJIVE

This worked like a CHARM for me.  THANK YOU!

The funny thing was I chased a UPS solution for days and FedEx wound up being cheaper to ship with than UPS for these heavy bulky items.
Web Site Design, Hosting, Flash Development, ECommerce, Graphics & Logo Design and more...

cliffclof

This is very nice.  I'd like to see a little advancement in the future so that you can choose to only add height to the package instead of length and width and height.  This would help when packaging multiple small items together with one large item.  That may not be the correct option.  I understand this would add a horrific amount of coding though.

One more thing.  If you are United States based I noticed that a line of code in (i think) all FedEXdc modules by 'Jay Powers / Soeren Eberhardt / Greg Perkins' and maybe others needs to change to include Canada as an international shipping destination.

The line is in classes/shipping/fedex.php on line 98

$domestic_delivery = ($recipient_country == 'US' || $recipient_country == 'CA') ? true : false;

change to:

$domestic_delivery = ($recipient_country == 'US' /* || $recipient_country == 'CA' */ ) ? true : false;

If I missed something here please let me know.  Thanks.

Great Job!  I hope to see a unified solution for all types of FedEx shipping options come on the scene and this looks like it has the best features.

Oh and PLEASE let me know when it is available for J! 1.5.  I hate that legacy thing being on.  My sleep is altered when I know it's on.

ilovenaps

Anyone who wants to make a little money to be on chat and email to help walk me through installing this on VM 1.1.3 please email or instant message me.

Easy money!

ilovenaps

Followed the instructions....and I get this error:

Please select a Shipping Method!
Direct Access to this location is not allowed.

Anyone ?

The support on this forum doesn't seem to be as good as it used too.

kthackston

Quote from: ilovenaps on April 30, 2009, 04:35:58 AM
Followed the instructions....and I get this error:

Please select a Shipping Method!
Direct Access to this location is not allowed.

Anyone ?

The support on this forum doesn't seem to be as good as it used too.

Turn on legacy mode and this will go away and work

kthackston

FedEx Ground only displays if the customer has chosen BUSINESS for their address, over Residential. Residential defaults to Home Delivery.

How can I alter the code so that Residential behaves exactly like Business? Calling ALL my choices, starting with Ground.

Additionally, the Residential option does not call up my secondary shipping option which is the Standard Shipping with some default choices there.

Please help.