News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

All UPS rates are wrong!

Started by rinny, October 27, 2008, 20:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rinny

Running VM 1.1.2 on Joomla 1.5.7 installation.  Nothing else is atypical about my setup...

Using a UPS account through local UPS Store.  The owner has it configured to charge the exact rate he normally charges the client for their service (retail rate).

When processing a shipment of 17 lbs. (no dimensions), I am told the following:

UPS Ground ($7.19)
UPS Next Day Air ($41.78)

When processing the same exact shipment of 17 lbs. (no dimensions) through the UPS site within the account, or if the UPS store rings up the shipment (using the same addresses as put in VM), I am told the following:

UPS Ground
October 28, 2008     10.49 USD*

UPS Next Day Air®
October 28, 2008     47.75 USD*

UPS will not provide support for any of my questions on this issue as it is a 3rd party issue.  Looking for some answers or will start to have to resort to desperate measures as this project is behind schedule because of the client but now that it's back in my lap it's supposed to be done NOW....

rinny

I've been having a fun time with this one, especially not being a coder and having a super high strung guy expecting fast results on this one....

So far i've had to add 16 LBS. on to EVERY item to make it calculate properly.

Can someone please give me a more logical solution than this?!?

iefow

Hi Rinny, have you found a solution for this? I'm experiencing the same thing here.

For example, I have UPS Worldship on local computer that tells me prices and prints labels. However the prices there (which are correct 100% sure) are higher then the ones from the UPS v2.0 module.

I have package of 31x31x23 centimiters and weight of 1.098 kilogram. Shipping from Netherlands, zipcode 4877AE to Netherlands zipcode 5628DP gives price of -->

UPS Standard (€6,54)
UPS Worldwide Express SM (€19,46) 

However, prices in Worldship for Standard = 8.51 and Express Saver = 22.08.

How can I fix this, what can it be that's causing this difference?

lowmips

Hi iefow,
I asked rinny for more information in order to determine why this is happening in my UPSv2.0 module long ago, but never received a reply.  If you could provide more info we may get to the bottom of this.   Are you declaring insurance, or any other additional services?  This may require a phone call/email to UPS, and the more information I have at hand, the better.

Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

opwdecks

Is it possible that you have the wrong classification for either the Residential delivery or the daily pickup?

I personally have no issues with incorrect rates.
Scott Paul

iefow

Hello Reggie,

I just read your reply to my message. I will try to gather as much information as I can (and think is useful). Once I have this, I'll send you a message.

Anyway, thank you for your reply already!

@ opwdecks: I don't think so, I'll triple-check this, just to be sure.

iefow

Hi Reggie,

haven't had time to fully dive into this. I've gotten the xml that I send out and receive back. Info there seems to be OK. Some of it is not used, for instance the daily pick up or customer counter thing isn't of any influence in the countries I send packages to. But haven't seen anything weird there.

After christmas I'll get some more details and send them to you, see if it can be of any use :)  Enjoy the holidays!

rinny

Hi guys- sorry for the long wait on the reply.

I figured out why my UPS module was showing incorrect rates.  I have to preface this by saying that, once all of the edits above were applied and with Reggie's help, everything was matching the UPS site to a tee.

But our local UPS store was coming up with different rates for everything.  So I mistakenly labeled it as a problem with the UPS API.

As it turns out, UPS Store locations can add all kinds of markup to different fees, and there's no way for ups.com to possibly compensate for that.  I.E.:  My local UPS Store charges $3.30 more for the rural shipping charge.  The UPS site adds it in, but there was always that difference for rural zip codes.

They also markup oversize packages, packages where dimensional weight applies, and a few other services/variables.  It took me awhile to get them to come clean on all of the various markups.  Then I found out that they have a client structure which changes the cost to the client depending on how much they've shipped in the past year...which means if my client goes into a new rate structure in 2009, I will have to go back and compensate somehow.

Just a good note of things to be aware of when dealing with UPS Store locations.

iefow

I have a strong feeling that this is also the case for me. As I've checked the xml files and could not find any "weirdness" there, so they must be correct.

It is very likely that difference in pricing is caused by these markups you mention. Next I'm going to dig into this to see if my assumption is correct.

To be continued...

ihale

I'm running Joomla! 1.0.15 Stable and VirtueMart 1.1.3

I have the UPS shipping module installed, but the rates are incorrect when multiple products are purchased. if 1 item is purchased, the rates are correct. please help. is anyone else experiencing this issue?

UPS online via virtuemart has charged a customer 89.00 for UPS shipping charges but actual charges are 133.00 when I got billed from UPS. the order was four 4 gallon pails of mastic. virtuemart i believe is bundling the entire order as 1 big boxed shippment, but I actually have to ship 4 seperate boxes of mastic. all pails have weights and have numbers entered in Units in Packaging: & Units in Box: nothing seems to work.

any advice would be appreciated. thanks

lowmips

My UPSv2 module can handle items which ship alone (unbundled).
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=47142.
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)